UK to start charging for plastic bags

Man of Honour
Popped in to my local shop to get some milk this PM to be informed that from tomorrow they will be charing for bags.

Man of Honour
I'm not disagreeing with the principle at all it is sound, but the effort should be earlier in the supply chain as I said earlier. Something does need to be done but this is a bit of a petty thing concentrate on IMO. Bigger picture this is a tiny piece of it.

Lots of small things, turn into something much bigger. Inefficient light bulbs have been banned/restricted, Hoovers have been made mire efficient, subsidies for green energy and vehicles. Tax breaks etc.
And EU has a 1001 other schemes that will be coming into force in the next decade, this all adds upto a lot.

So you dint change, but the stats do show significant change, in countries that have already done it.

Soldato
Was pretty amusing earlier on today going into my local small asda, I never seen it that busy before, the shelves were bare, people are obviously that desperate to avoid paying for bags they all flooded the shops today.

Caporegime
A lot of them aren't bio degradable, even if they are bio degrable, they still take years, they clog up landfill, trap animals and is a huge waste of economic money. 5p doesn't sound a lot but it's dramatically cut usage in all countries it's been introduced in, as well as providing millions of £ for environmental schemes, the shops don't keep the 5p,

The I use it as a bin argument is Si flawed it's laughable, I do the same, but that's like 1 bag in 20. No one uses all off them as bins, or even close to.

so what about the bags for life which last say 2-3 months.

are they biodegradeable or do they just stay forever in landfill?

Man of Honour
That depends on the bag, and most last for way more than a few months. Why are you even attempting to argue it's a bad thing. It's impossible to argue that side.

Caporegime
That depends on the bag, and most last for way more than a few months. Why are you even attempting to argue it's a bad thing. It's impossible to argue that side.

no im just asking are the bags were replacing them with which are much thicker and durable environmentally friendly.

or have we just exchanged a large number of biodegradable bags for a somewhat smaller number of non biodegradeable bags

Man of Honour
A lot if the normal bags aren't biodegradable. So that's wrong to start with, the bags for life bags take less resources and energy to create than the equivalent disposable bags, bags for life, or at least Tesco ones are designed to last at least 10 times longer than disposable ones. And take far less than 10 disposable bags to make.
Each year Tesco alone gives out enough disposable bags to burry the uk 82 times over. Or the other stat I like if all Tesco disposable bags from one year were made into one giant bag, it would hold the moon twice, although you may need to double bag. It's a huge problem and this is a first step and will massively change culture, like it has in ever other country. We are reducing the issue, this isn't some scam, it's worked well and reduced waste in ever other country whos adopted it.

You really want green bags, use a rucksack or spend more than 10p and get the hessian type ones.

Last edited:
Caporegime
A lot if the normal bags aren't biodegradable. So that's wrong to start with, the bags for life bags take less resources and energy to create than the equivalent disposable bags, bags for life, or at least Tesco ones are designed to last at least 10 times longer than disposable ones. And take far less than 10 disposable bags to make.
Each year Tesco alone gives out enough disposable bags to burry the uk 82 times over. Or the other stat I like if all Tesco disposable bags from one year were made into one giant bag, it would hold the moon twice, although you may need to double bag. It's a huge problem and this is a first step and will massively change culture, like it has in ever other country. We are reducing the issue, this isn't some scam, it's worked well and reduced waste in ever other country whos adopted it.

You really want green bags, use a rucksack or spend more than 10p and get the hessian type ones.

right before you go off on one of your usual misguided anger rants i don't really care about this, i live in Wales I've been dealing with this for years, it doesn't really affect me and if you saw a few pages back i do actually use a rucksack myself and have 2 big Hessian ones for when i need more.

i was purely asking what the difference is given that most supermarkets use biodegradable bags now (least according to what's written on them) when the bags for life etc do not say this.

I don't particularly care.
I pay for carrier bags at Aldi and Lidl already, but don't mind because the weekly shop is 30-40% cheaper than the bigger Supermarkets anyway.

I used to work at Tesco and I did the first year of a PhD into Sustainable Manufacturing.
You'd get some tit in a brand new V8 Land Rover, complaining that when buying their beans that have been air freighted from Nigeria and put in non-recyclable packaging they were reusing a carrier bag and so wanted a green point. Then the supermarket would throw the rest of the beans into the compactor for incineration because they were 1 day out of date.

Carrier bags do need tackling, but where are food comes from and the 'throw it away that carrot has a kink in it' mindset are the key issues imo.

Last edited:

v0n

v0n

Soldato
so what about the bags for life which last say 2-3 months.

are they biodegradeable or do they just stay forever in landfill?

Each year Tesco alone gives out enough disposable bags to burry the uk 82 times over.

So far all you said was that it was provider of the bag issue rather than mine, as a consumer. They didn't provide me with biodegradable bag, so now I have to pay (for still non biodegradable bag). But anyway:

Tefal's point is still very valid. Instead of 20-30 bags that most of us would then use for rubbish liners etc let's say we all get bag for life. This bag for life will inevitably get filthy and ugly after 10 or 20 uses, so we chuck it away. At that point didn't we just replace 20 or 30 regular thin bags that will turn into atoms in 100 or 200 years, large percent of which were actually already quickly biodegradable with one thicker piece of plastic 'for life' that will never degrade or degrade in 1000 years? But we don't see it as much in a mix of landfill rubbish and thus feel much better for it?

Man of Honour
So far all you said was that it was provider of the bag issue rather than mine, as a consumer. They didn't provide me with biodegradable bag, so now I have to pay (for still non biodegradable bag). But anyway:

Tefal's point is still very valid. Instead of 20-30 bags that most of us would then use for rubbish liners etc let's say we all get bag for life. This bag for life will inevitably get filthy and ugly after 10 or 20 uses, so we chuck it away. At that point didn't we just replace 20 or 30 regular thin bags that will turn into atoms in 100 or 200 years, large percent of which were actually already quickly biodegradable with one thicker piece of plastic 'for life' that will never degrade or degrade in 1000 years? But we don't see it as much in a mix of landfill rubbish and thus feel much better for it?

Good god man, it's your issue and everyone else, some are biodegradable, some aren't that goes for both disposable and bag for life, depends in store etc.. Reusable bags, or at least Tesco are designed to last a minimum of 10 times, even at the minimum, they use far less resources compared to 10 disposable ones. The scheme works and works well, as proved in multiple countries.

Live with it and stop posting silly arguments. Like the we use them fir bin liners, no people don't they might use 1 in 10 as bin liners, the others are simply disposed off. again backed up by stats on how many are simply chucked away. But yeah keep ignoring everything and making silly posts.

Last edited:
Soldato
People going on about how the bags are biodegradable and that they shouldn't be charged. It is still a waste of resources and harm to the environment making them in the first place even if they are biodegradable. The less bags the better.

Back
Top Bottom