Sicario

Soldato
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sR0SDT2GeFg

Wow. What a film. Probably the best film I've seen this year. Emily Blunt is fantastic, Del Toro is brilliant. Such a dark, tense film. Fantastic story.

Anyone seen it yet? I can't recommend this enough.
icon14.gif

Soldato
It's in my top 3 movies of the year, that relentless pounding soundtrack, I actually felt sickly nervous for the first 30/40 minutes of this movie. Action was good and not over the top, the whole thing felt very "real". Didn't warm to Blunts character but I don't think you were meant to tbh so she did a good job.

Associate
Action was good and not over the top, the whole thing felt very "real".

Definitely. It reminds me of Heat. The action is very grounded in reality (relatively speaking), and I don't remember there being over the top orchestral numbers during the big action scenes, which actually made it far more effective in adding to the tension. Heat is one of my favourite movies of all time, and this is definitely up there in terms of execution and overall feeling in my opinion.

Soldato
OP
It's in my top 3 movies of the year, that relentless pounding soundtrack, I actually felt sickly nervous for the first 30/40 minutes of this movie. Action was good and not over the top, the whole thing felt very "real". Didn't warm to Blunts character but I don't think you were meant to tbh so she did a good job.
Dat soundtrack. :o Love that noise. Available for purchase/download now.

Soldato
Nicely directed with some nice unusual sweeping and panning shots that I enjoyed. Even the thermal imaging and night vision was a cool effect.

Thought the story was a little slow and it was deliberately frustrating at times. In that I mean you felt the same frustrations the lead characters were feeling with regards to the plot. They didn't know it any more than you did and it grated on me slightly, with it all only really coming into place in the last act.

Good action flick though, very tense and some fantastic set-piece scenes.

Associate
Just seen this. Well made film but not quite what I was expecting action and story wise. I went into it expecting something like Savages for some reason.

Still worth the visit to the cinema anyway

Soldato
OP
Yeah I'm currently sourcing Enemy and Prisoners as I haven't seen either!

Nicely directed with some nice unusual sweeping and panning shots that I enjoyed. Even the thermal imaging and night vision was a cool effect.
Roger Deakins is just a genius. How he can be nominated for 12 Oscars and still not won is just outrageous. He must win this time, surely... Some of the shots in this film are beautiful. The shot of the SWAT team disappearing into the sunset for example.

http://filmmakermagazine.com/96008-...uitive-roger-deakins-on-sicario/#.Vh-DHGSrRR4

(spoilers in interview)

Soldato
Went to see this this afternoon, could not fault it.

I would say it sat somewhere between thriller and horror. It didn't fall for the usual tropes and genuinely kept you guessing. The use of minimal foreboding soundtrack was very well done. Sometimes the images and sounds merged, vehicle and environment sounds skirted with the musical rhythms and really emphasised the tension and paranoia. Some beautiful camera work, the shot of the meeting room where Blunt was facing her superiors with the camera behind her was particularly effective. The shot of the shadow of the jet on the landscape and the delta team disappearing into the darkness....amazing.

I didn't watch the trailer but saw the TV slot and they made it out to be much more an action film I think. Really pleased it wasn't...

I thought the opening half hour felt very much like aliens, Riley speaking to the board, haunted by what she had seen she agrees to go on the mission to remove the threat. She then tries to fit in with the troops and advisors but soon finds things are not quite as she imagined...

Can't wait to watch it again.

Last edited:
Caporegime
Just watched this and the wife and I both loved it.

It was very tense and just a high quality action / drama flick.

Del Toro's Alejandro is right up there with
Bardem's Chigurh as far as movie assassins go
, and it really reminded me of the atmosphere of the likes of No Country for Old Men and even True Detective, in terms of beautifully shot but ominous.

Back
Top Bottom