• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AMD’s Dual ‘Fiji XT’ Flagship Spotted in Shipping Manifest – Launching Soon

Associate
Would it be possible to do 8 way xfire if you bought 4 Fury X2s ?

would it still bottleneck with an 18 core xeon or something like that ?

Man of Honour
Would it be possible to do 8 way xfire if you bought 4 Fury X2s ?

would it still bottleneck with an 18 core xeon or something like that ?

Crossfire will only do 4 way max.

An 18 core Xeon is probably one of the very worst CPUs you could use with a multi GPU setup due to it's low clockspeed. What a 4 way setup needs for maximum performance is a 6 or 8 core Haswell-E CPU and as high a clockspeed as possible to avoid bottlenecks.

Associate
Jayz2cents said that with Titan X it shows a bottleneck at 3 cards with 5960x which would be even worse at 4 cards, does this also apply to fiji ? it scales better but does it make a large difference with 4 ?

Man of Honour
Jayz2cents said that with Titan X it shows a bottleneck at 3 cards with 5960x which would be even worse at 4 cards, does this also apply to fiji ? it scales better but does it make a large difference with 4 ?

I am sat here typing this on a PC with 4 TXs and a 5960X and can quite honestly say Jayz2cents is talking out of his waste outlet.:D

You can bottleneck most single cards if you want to let alone 4.

You can avoid bottlenecks with 4 cards most of the time by using 2160p with max settings.

Using 4 TXs @2160p is about the same as using a single GTX 980 Ti, TitanX or Fury X @1080p. There are plenty of people who use a single card @1080p.:)

Associate
he said you could see the bottleneck at 1080p because the results were not much faster than 1440p

I guess it makes sense that it would become a problem at higher framerates

I always thought that there were also diminishing returns for each card you add at every resolution independent of the cpu though, which means 2 card is the optimum

Just remembered he did also mention that he prefers to run games on a 1080p high refresh rate monitor which might explain why he thinks
adding the 4th card wouldn't be worth it

Last edited:
Man of Honour
he said you could see the bottleneck at 1080p because the results were not much faster than 1440p

I guess it makes sense that it would become a problem at higher framerates

I always thought that there were also diminishing returns for each card you add at every resolution independent of the cpu though, which means 2 card is the optimum

Just remembered he did also mention that he prefers to run games on a 1080p high refresh rate monitor which might explain why he thinks
adding the 4th card wouldn't be worth it

Adding a 4th card is very worthwhile @2160p as it is much the same as using a single card @1080p.

Sometimes the drivers can take time to arrive for 4 way setups in games but for major titles they usually do.

If you could see how well 4 way SLI Titans runs Shadow of Mordor @2160p maxed you would see the benefits very quickly. The TitanXs absolutely own the game.:D:)

Having said that if people wish to look backwards at very old games then you will get bottlenecks.

The bottom line is it is better to have too much GPU grunt than not enough. 4 TitanXs will give you just enough GPU grunt to run any modern game any way you want to @2160p.:)

Back
Top Bottom