Cooler Master NovaTouch TKL Topre UK Tour

Soldato
A few words from me after finding a few spare minutes to type up some thoughts:

Brief review of the CM Novatouch Storm Topre mechanical keyboard.

Usage - casual web browsing, general use and moderate gaming.

I make no secret of the fact I signed up for the trial of this keyboard simply to try the Topre switches as I am/was considering a HHKB but didn't fancy dropping £170 on something I couldn't try first.

First off, I love the Topre switches, better than the various Cherry switches I've had in the past and will make it hard for me to go back to my current daily drive keyboard which is a customised Poker with a cast alu case, cherry blacks and thick PBT caps. The Topre switches make for a much more pleasant feel and sound IMO, the resounding 'thud' rather than the 'clack' of a cherry makes for a much sturdier and higher quality feeling KB to me. If I worked on a PC for a living, typing day-in-day out, then something like this would be a no-brainer.

Build quality feels nice and sturdy, it neither has the feel of a really high end bomb-proof KB nor is it flimsy like the cheaper stuff, nicely occupying the middle ground. I'd prefer the main body to be made from something with a better quality finish though, as it picks up finger marks instantly even from the cleanest and most grease-free fingers, if you're the type to eat and type/game the main body will look a mess in no time at all.

Aesthetically I am a big fan of minimalism so the lack of any RGB Carlos Fandango LEDs and OTT branding is a massive plus, I'm too old for peripherals aimed at 12 year old boys so the Novatouch wins extra points from me here.

For the price though I'm still a little disappointed with the quality somewhat, the key caps feel cheap and nasty and the lack of any lock LEDs, whilst not a make or break issue, is certainly a drawback. Also as mentioned in previous reviews, the 90 degree micro USB plug is a bit of a fail. On the face of it the keycap issue doesn't seem to be a big one when you see the plethora of after market caps available, until you realise you need ISO layout which means you'll need to get creative with the individual keys you'll need on top to match whichever set you go for, plus the extra cost brings it into line with a couple of other better quality KBs which takes the shine off somewhat.

I'm still undecided on the TKL layout, I've always had 60% boards because I found myself with no use for the extra TKL keys (Home, INS, arrows etc..) and never really missed the F keys. But there is something nice about having a more substantial board on my lap, yes I said lap because I don't have a desk so PC use is from an armchair with the KB on my lap for all tasks.

Conclusion - The Topre switches are a revelation for me, combined with the aesthetics and the sturdiness of the build quality makes for a nice package. Unfortunately the keycap issue, the finish of the plastic of the main body and the angled plug are too big to ignore and write it off as a product I'd potentially own. Hopefully CM will develop their Topre line further and introduce a couple of variants.

Thanks to CM for the loan, great idea!

Last edited:
Soldato
Toby's on his way to SuperG, I had intended on posting him yesterday but the internet in our office decided to go on strike and I'd missed the collection by the time I could get on to print the label.

£10 with UPS via Parcels2Go, there's loads of offer costs floating around on Google :)

Associate
Toby's on his way to SuperG, I had intended on posting him yesterday but the internet in our office decided to go on strike and I'd missed the collection by the time I could get on to print the label.

£10 with UPS via Parcels2Go, there's loads of offer costs floating around on Google :)

Cool thanks Cyanide, I got the tracking details via e-mail this morning.

Whoever is next on the list, can you please email me your deets?

Associate
Got 'Toby' today and all I can say is WOW. This keyboard types smooth like whipped butter on strawberry pancakes. I thought reds and blues were the only way to go with mechanical keyboards but the Topre is actually in a league of its own. I am very impressed.

I hope to put out a video review within the next week or so.

Associate
Very nice review there. How did you get on in BF4 with it? (if you don't mind me asking?)

I got on really well with all FPS games on the NovaTouch. Reds and Blues are great but in my experience the Topre switches feel like an extension of your fingertips and a necessity for any serious gamer.

The nearly instant actuation, smoothness and quietness of the Topre switches makes gaming feel more natural and intuitive when you hit those WASD keys. I really think the Topre switches made me feel more in control of my movement no matter how many things were going on around me in-game.

It's really hard to explain since it's something that really has to be experienced first hand (see what I did there?). My major gripe with it is really just the price to feature ratio. I'll be most certainly missing 'Toby'.

Permabanned
Toby is looking worse for wear in every review. Are people not cleaning the keyboard before sending it out? It's like someone owns a rattle snake and it decided to shed it's skin all over the keyboard. lol

Good reviews though and yes img we're all criticizing the same things. Cooler Master should have done more market research on this keyboard. That is the problem when they send it out for free to Youtubers/Reviewers because 9/10 times they will say it is awesome.

It isn't even a case of different strokes for different folks because as I hinted Gamer requirements are slightly different to professional typists. Topre is a nice switch but the price and lack of features makes it hard to swallow compared to what is out there already.

Associate
And Toby is off to TheEnosFam!

I wrote a poem to cope with his departure:

'Twas a short-lived affair,
one that was held with care,
for I could foresee,
he would very soon leave me...

:(

Associate
OP
Toby is looking worse for wear in every review. Are people not cleaning the keyboard before sending it out? It's like someone owns a rattle snake and it decided to shed it's skin all over the keyboard. lol

Good reviews though and yes img we're all criticizing the same things. Cooler Master should have done more market research on this keyboard. That is the problem when they send it out for free to Youtubers/Reviewers because 9/10 times they will say it is awesome.

It isn't even a case of different strokes for different folks because as I hinted Gamer requirements are slightly different to professional typists. Topre is a nice switch but the price and lack of features makes it hard to swallow compared to what is out there already.

This is why I thought to run a "community tour" that way end users, like you guys, can make up your own minds about the keyboard and its features :)

Associate
Even though some features of this keyboard are lacking, it's almost a good thing that we all disagree on the same things - It makes it a lot easier for CM to change in future iterations, and since the core feature of the keyboard, its switches, are all regarded highly by us, it definitely bodes well.

If better quality key caps become available, as well as a full ISO design - I will buy one. After going back to a 10 key keyboard I felt bad because I knew I couldn't give it up, which is unfortunate because whilst owning Toby I was confident I could live without the number pad and that I would buy one.

I'm just hoping CM take our points on board as I think the keyboard would be great with those issues fixed (or rather, changed).

Associate
Toby has just touched down at The Enos Fam crib :) Will get a good feel for him over the weekend and review early next week!

If the next in line could please Trust me their address, I am looking to send toby off on Wednesday if all goes to plan.

Back
Top Bottom