DENIS

PDW

PDW

Associate
OP
Congrats Boycie on taking number 1 spot from me.
Sadly there are 3 more behind outproducing me so won't be long before I'm down at 5th :(

Good news, the team is up to 10th overall and about to take 9th :)

Associate
Just found one pc full of tasks waiting to upload and no active tasks, seems my problems are back again, keep clicking update in the project window but all the tasks still sitting there saying "Ready to upload" Not sure how long it's been like that :( Might have to ditch the denis project.

PDW

PDW

Associate
OP
Hamesy, I see you have joined in running DENIS :)

Unless you are just in the process of changing over you seem to still be running the original app that DENIS downloads. There is an optimised version that does the work 10 times faster !

You can read about it in this thread:
http://denis.usj.es/denisathome/forum_thread.php?id=53&sort_style=8&start=0

Download the optimised app (in a zip file) from here:
http://optos.sesef.pl/denis

Exit BOINC Manager and then copy the contents of the Zip file into the DENIS project folder, usual location is here:
c:\ProgramData\BOINC\projects\denis.usj.es_denisathome\

but if you installed BOINC to another directory then you should know where !

Restart BOINC Manager and watch how fast they go now :D

PDW

PDW

Associate
OP
Just found one pc full of tasks waiting to upload and no active tasks, seems my problems are back again, keep clicking update in the project window but all the tasks still sitting there saying "Ready to upload" Not sure how long it's been like that :( Might have to ditch the denis project.
If you are still having problems I would suggest running it alongside another project that limits the number of tasks it will download (eg CSG). If you set the job cache to 1 day (maybe more) you will never be able to download enough work from one project.

Could try using an app_config.xml to share the cores between both projects. The theory being it should take twice as long to do the work and so more chance of getting a successful response to an upload/download request to stop you running out completely.

There are other projects that limit the amount of work but off hand can't think of one :o
Let me know if you want other projects to choose from, if no-one else has suggestions I'll go and find out for you.

If you try doing this with a project that doesn't limit the tasks sent then this project will just fill the cache and stop or restrict how much work Denis does.

Associate
Hamesy, I see you have joined in running DENIS :)

Unless you are just in the process of changing over you seem to still be running the original app that DENIS downloads. There is an optimised version that does the work 10 times faster !

You can read about it in this thread:
http://denis.usj.es/denisathome/forum_thread.php?id=53&sort_style=8&start=0

Download the optimised app (in a zip file) from here:
http://optos.sesef.pl/denis

Exit BOINC Manager and then copy the contents of the Zip file into the DENIS project folder, usual location is here:
c:\ProgramData\BOINC\projects\denis.usj.es_denisathome\

but if you installed BOINC to another directory then you should know where !

Restart BOINC Manager and watch how fast they go now :D

I tried the optimised app yesterday but couldn't get it to work. Although I think it was a permissions issue as I'm running it on my works laptop.

I've give it another go with my admin credentials :)

Associate
Bugger, seems like Symantec Endpoint Protection doesn't like the optimised app. Keeps asking me to delete the file every time it starts a new task

Unfortunately, I've got no way I can add it to a whitelist as that's controlled by a team in another country :(

PDW

PDW

Associate
OP
Well something worked.

Does it think it is a virus then ?
You don't have control over exclusions I take it ?

PDW

PDW

Associate
OP
If you don't own the business then you should probably ask permission first.
Wouldn't want you to lose your job :eek:

Associate
It allows it through without any problems.

I'll let BOINC run through the current tasks and I'll remove the optimised app.

I'll reserve the optimised app for home :)

Associate
Bugger, seems like Symantec Endpoint Protection doesn't like the optimised app. Keeps asking me to delete the file every time it starts a new task

Unfortunately, I've got no way I can add it to a whitelist as that's controlled by a team in another country :(

I had a similar issue with malwarebytes as it kept quarantining the app, I was able to add the whole directory as an exclusion though and it's left it alone since.

Associate
I had a similar issue with malwarebytes as it kept quarantining the app, I was able to add the whole directory as an exclusion though and it's left it alone since.

Unfortunately, due to work politics I haven't got access to the Symantec Endpoint Protection console or even access to set a policy on my laptop :rolleyes:

Soldato
It allows it through without any problems.

I'll let BOINC run through the current tasks and I'll remove the optimised app.

I'll reserve the optimised app for home :)

The only thing I can think of to try, being as it allows the official app, is to rename the optimised one to exactly the same name as the official one, you will need to change the name to match in the app_info as well.

Back
Top Bottom