Best car under £5k

Associate
Last edited:

nas

nas

Associate
I suspect your estimated fuel costs will vary, heavily (in terms of how much you believe it would amount to)

also, what about an ongoing running cost collumn? servcing, tyres, rainy day etc

also cue: what type of car are you after given the wide variety

emfree ofc.

Last edited:
Soldato
That's quite a varied list, i'd start by deciding what you actually want from a car first? For example you've got an MX5 which will probably only cost you a set of tyres and brake pads in 5 years of ownership vs an E36 M3 which could cost huge amounts to keep on the road in any sort of semi decent shape.

Soldato
Yeah, not sure where you're getting your MPG numbers from. Some of them look reasonable, if you drive like a granny, and not as you would expect some of these cars to be driven. Others just don't look achievable at all to me. Assuming it's ACTUAL AVERAGE economies your looking at, rather than "on a run" numbers like this forum seems to love.

1.8TT (225) would be about the best engine in a TT, wouldn't bother with the V6's (in anything really) they simply aren't fast enough for the fuel economy, not without being charged of some description. In my experience.

The Golf GTI at the bottom, is that a ropey mk5 you're looking at? In which case they have 200 BHP. Or a nice mk4 2.0? Or do you really mean a 1.8T? Either of the mk4's don't need anywhere near £5k spending on them, and the mk5 you would be near the bottom of the barrel I would have thought. That being said, the 350Z would be similar surely? As would the S2000, and many other motors off the list really.

The only thing there that would come even close to appealing to me would be the Focus ST. But that comes from having owned / driven many of the cars on the list, and having not even driven an ST. But also because I hear the take to tuning pretty well, and that's what I'd be looking at doing with anything of this type (my 330i's excepted here, because I don't actually believe in doing any tuning to NA engines).

Associate
OP
Oh the spreadsheet has been made in about 10 minutes with stats I found online, I got about 5 months before I buy one, I can't get rid of the Galant until then.

I'll update the MPG and running costs when I can research them, its a very much a work in progress. I just wondered if any of you have any of these cars - theres a wide variety of cars and the MPG won't make a huge difference as I car share about 3/5 days and I commute to london one day a week so fuel is the worst case scenario - though some have been looked up on owners forums and people give fairly common mpgs.

Now I do like to push my car, bu I can drive sedate if I want and when I get an mpg trip I can be much better at getting higher mpg but the galant does literally 22 mpg at best, sometimes it gets just double figures based on maths and cost.

Stats have come from autotrader and other places.

Soldato
Random but I've just seen your sig.. Are the moderators still fussed if a sig image file size exceeds 20kb? In 2015? :confused:

Yes, it appears so.

All I did was DL the sig, as made in the sig thread on GD, then host it on my own photobucket. Apparently it was too big (in all fairness, I think it was a whopping 50kb).

Anyway, some jiggery pokery and it looks like it's back to under 20kb.

The mods on here must have some amount of time on their hands to be hooped going about checking eveyrones sig for tiny infractions like that.

Permabanned
Civic Type R out of all those for me. Should get a decent example for 5k and running costs are fairly low with a bullet proof engine and Honda reliability. All the others will be aging a fair bit. However will need a drive as VTEC/lack of torks is a bit marmite to some.

Caporegime
wouldn't bother with the V6's (in anything really) they simply aren't fast enough for the fuel economy, not without being charged of some description. In my experience.

Why?

Mine will hit 60 in 5.6 seconds, run on till 170+ mph with the limiter taken off, cruise at 80mph turning something like 1.5krpm returning 35mpg, oh and yes make an engine and exhaust noise a 1.8T could only dream of.

The VR6 is a fantastic engine from the day it was released right up till now.

I'm really swayed by the 1.8/3.2 DSG TT quatro though, can get bargins for under £5k and running costs arent that bad either!

Make sure you price in Haldex and DSG fluid changes, both cost around £150 - £200 and need to be done every 40k.

Last edited:
Tea Drinker
Don
That looks like the world's most boring way to buy a car. Why if just facts and figures matter have you only got the ocuk approved list if cars?

What happens if after all the pivot tables and graphs you just don't like the car?

Back
Top Bottom