• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

will adaptive sync ie freesync g sync ever come to tvs and console's

P.B

P.B

Soldato
Due to the rather simple nature of how this tech works do you think it will be something we will see in future tvs and next gen consoles use to ekk an extra bit of performance?

Views people :)

Soldato
Variable framerate displays dont give you extra performance. It simply stops the display from being hard locked to a specific refresh rate so you dont have to worry about your video not dividing evenly into that specific refresh rate, causing extra choppiness and/or tearing.

I suppose Freesync in TV's *might* be useful depending on whether or not the AMD GPU's in the XB1/PS4 have the hardware necessary, but Gsync in a TV would cater to too small an audience(PC users with Nvidia GPU's who play games on their TV).

Associate
I can imagine it being useful in consoles, given how dreadful the framerates are on some games. But the likelihood of TV manufacturers getting around to implementing FreeSync / GSync seems low, it would probably be something that was specified by MS for the next Xbox and then the TV manufacturers might start to care.

P.B

P.B

Soldato
OP
I can imagine it being useful in consoles, given how dreadful the framerates are on some games. But the likelihood of TV manufacturers getting around to implementing FreeSync / GSync seems low, it would probably be something that was specified by MS for the next Xbox and then the TV manufacturers might start to care.

This is what I meant as such to extra performance as the overall effect feels smoother they might start making 30fps more offern.

Soldato
It's a potential market that AMD manage to bundle past without making so much as eye contact, Nvidia I don't think even they can pull off a TV with a single DP and solitary HDMI, but you never know.:p

There is the Wasabi Mango UHD420 42-in 4K - FreeSync and HDMI 2.0-not quite a TV as it's missing a tuner, but has a remote.

Associate
I think that this is a real possibility - tv manufacturers look for any excuse to differentiate one model from another. "Gaming TV" has a nice ringing sound to it..

Soldato
Freesync in consoles is very possible if the AMD apu's have Adaptive sync capability. All AMD need to do is enable it in the drivers I guess. People could then use a Freesync Monitor for some gaming instead of a TV.

Caporegime
Console gaming would benefit greatly from ASync tech but I chat to friends who console game and they feel that gaming on their TV is ultra smooth, albeit my generation of gamers are rather old and they are not as dedicated to it as me :p

Last game I played on console was GT5 on the PS3 and looked pretty good but played horrible.

Soldato
Associate
Variable framerate displays dont give you extra performance...
It reduces latency, which is something that you would otherwise only be able to get through increased performance.

It would make no difference to TV and films because they use constant refresh rates.
Constant, but not always the same as the display. It would be useful for watching 24fps films on a 60Hz display.

Soldato
It reduces latency, which is something that you would otherwise only be able to get through increased performance.
Well latency can mean a few different things.

But I'm guessing you're using it to mean input lag. In which case, yes, it eradicates the need for v-sync, therefore improving input lag to whatever degree(depending on the level of v-sync being used), but that has nothing to do with rendering performance at all.

Associate
Constant, but not always the same as the display. It would be useful for watching 24fps films on a 60Hz display.

Indeed, very good to have for this as well as games.

Well latency can mean a few different things.

But I'm guessing you're using it to mean input lag. In which case, yes, it eradicates the need for v-sync, therefore improving input lag to whatever degree(depending on the level of v-sync being used), but that has nothing to do with rendering performance at all.
It also reduces average delay until frame rendering start time further reducing lag. Normally input lag & delay until frame start are higher than actual pixel-change times anyway.

Last edited:
Soldato
Console support this gen won't happen, the market potential vs those that will require a constant rather then variable frame rate would be a huge margin.

Though the sooner it's rolled out in to tv sets the more likely we'll see it in the next round of consoles.

Back
Top Bottom