Virgin Media Discussion Thread

Associate
Im currently on about 15Mb Sky. Its getting a little slow now ie. 4k youtube and games ever increasing in size.

Looking at getting the 200Mb line on it own for £42 a month. How good is it and likely am I to get anywhere near that speed? Im about 0.75 mile from the closest exchange. Are any of you getting the 25mb/s download speed or close too?

Thanks,
Sean

Unlike ADSL your not limited by distance with Virgin. I have been with Virgin, then NTL since 2002 and I have always had the fastest speed without any issues at all.

Virgin always give you a slightly bigger speed than advertised to compensate for overhead. So I'm paying for 200 down but I really get 209 down 99% of the time.

Downloaded a big 18gb file in 10 mins. So I'm very happy with that speed.

As long as your area is not oversubscribed whatever speed you pay for is what you get.

Last edited by a moderator:
Caporegime
Just rang up to cancel my service.

Probably just going to sign up in my gfs name in the new house though as the speed has been great and it's still cheaper for the Big Bang bundle that Sky or BT's offering.

Associate
Unlike ADSL your not limited by distance with Virgin. I have been with Virgin, then NTL since 2002 and I have always had the fastest speed without any issues at all.

Virgin always give you a slightly bigger speed than advertised to compensate for overhead. So I'm paying for 200 down but I really get 209 down 99% of the time.

Downloaded a big 18gb file in 10 mins. So I'm very happy with that speed.

As long as your area is not oversubscribed whatever speed you pay for is what you get.

Yeah sounds good. I want me some off that! Are you a salesman haha.

So even the biggest games at about 50gb take about 25-30mins?

Soldato
So I had Virgin installed today. The installer decided to cut my Sky cable coming in from the dish. I live in rented accommodation and the sky dish is on the inventory, so they will expect a working sky dish when I vacate the property. What are the chances of Virgin coming back to fix this?

I wasn't there for the install, my girlfriend was. She wouldn't have had a clue what they were doing.

Soldato
Got my upgrade from 152 to 200 today, can't say i notice any difference at all.

4762588376.png

Apart from using Zab :p

yUSB02n.jpg

Last edited:
Soldato
Also got my upgrade!
4763176220.png

That was on wifi so pretty impressed!
So far not had anything about a price hike so my £24 a month package (line rental paid up front at £144 so £12 a month) seems to be holding!
Shame about the uploads though!

Soldato
So I had Virgin installed today. The installer decided to cut my Sky cable coming in from the dish. I live in rented accommodation and the sky dish is on the inventory, so they will expect a working sky dish when I vacate the property. What are the chances of Virgin coming back to fix this?

I wasn't there for the install, my girlfriend was. She wouldn't have had a clue what they were doing.

Theyve been doing this recently and shouldnt be. They need reporting. Friend of mine also had this. Sky installers are also doing it, cutting the virgin cables that short to the ground a re-pull is needed.

Associate
200MB £42 a month with free self install any way I can this price down? New customer. Does it come through the phone line then and is only fibre up to the exchange? I had assumed at that speed it was Fibre to the door?

Associate
Its fibre to the cabinet then coax to the house. They don't use the telephone line for Broadband.

So they must come and install it then? Surely they dont just put a coax junction box on the outside of the house and drill a hole to poke a cable through to the router, leaving 'us' to connect said cable to the router and finish install?

Soldato
Birmingham :)
Luton :)

200MB £42 a month with free self install any way I can this price down? New customer. Does it come through the phone line then and is only fibre up to the exchange? I had assumed at that speed it was Fibre to the door?

That sounds like the standard price. Try paying your line rental up front. I am an existing customer and managed to get it for £144 despite it going up. With XL BB and M Phone I am left paying £24 a month after a £6 loyalty discount

So they must come and install it then? Surely they dont just put a coax junction box on the outside of the house and drill a hole to poke a cable through to the router, leaving 'us' to connect said cable to the router and finish install?

If you opted for self install (didn't know there was such a thing if you have not had VM before) then I assume they will do just that! Better off letting them come in and check the signal to the modem etc. Don't bother with the configuration of router part of the installation, thats pretty basic anyways

Back
Top Bottom