Fiesta ST or sensible 5 door?

Associate
Guys,

I'm in need of a car and struggling to decide what I want.

My previous car was a 325i E92 and yes I did enjoy it for the most part but mpg was terrible and I realised the car was just too big for the UK roads/car parks.

So now I'm looking at a smaller car but also don't want anything too boring.
The new Polo GTI 2015 version looks to be very nice but a bit out of my budget becuz they're still fairly new...and I learnt with the BMW that depreciation is a killer.

First I looked at leasing for the general easy going motoring for 2 years - but I've realised this is actually quite expensive for something half decent.

So now I'm looking at buying used and Fiesta STs in particular becuz there are quite a few of them on the market 2+ years old with low mileage so depreciation has kicked in nicely. Am I silly to consider spending £13,000 on a Fiesta? I'm worried about the build quality and harsh ride and massive doors (sound like an old fart)

Part of me is saying don't make the same mistakes as with your previous car and buy something sensible and part of me is saying get something nippy, sporty and enjoy it. My weekly commute is quite short but I do like to take long trips on occasion.

Any of your thoughts to help a confused brother out would be appreciated

Man of Honour
My previous car was a 325i E92 and yes I did enjoy it for the most part but mpg was terrible

You won't want a Fiesta ST then, I doubt it's any more economical really. The N53 engine in the 325i is really very fuel efficient for what it is with 40mpg easily obtainable.

and I realised the car was just too big for the UK roads/car parks.

Errr what?

The 3 Series Coupe is tiny!

Caporegime
I've got a 3 series touring and its a mid sized car at best

Infact a an E92 coupe is just 60cm longer than a Fiesta, and they are essentially the same width, give or take 70mm

Last edited:
Associate
Get the ST, they're brilliant fun!

I don't find the ride too harsh at all, can be a bit uncomfortable at low speeds when going over a speed bump but thats basically the same in every car....

Caporegime
Love my ST.

It is absolutely hilarious around corners.

I wouldn't spend 13k on a 2 year old one though! An ST-2 brand new can be had for near or around 15k from brokers., or an ST-3 for around 16k.

Build quality isn't that bad. It's no Rolls Royce, but everything feels decent enough to touch and press. The seats are excellent.

Last edited:
Soldato
Same position. Bored of sensible. Need fun. Can't justify current asking prices for various things. Leaping from lease to private buy and back.

Today a 172 sounds perfect. Tomorrow I'll be talking myself in and out of an RS4.

The only advice I could really offer is choose from 'epic fun' or 'killer sensible'.
Don't compromise :)

Soldato
The Fiesta ST's ride is ok as long as you fit good tyres. The interior has a few rattles but it's functional. If you want silly gadgets etc then performance fords are not the way to go. They are all about the performance and handling.

As for MPG, I can quite easily get just over 40 in mine.

Last edited:
Don
A 60 plate Cooper S might also be worth a look too btw.

Would actually be a problem based on the OP:

and massive doors (sound like an old fart)

When I had an R56 Cooper S, the doors/space required to get in/out of the car was more than you would image for what should be a small car (doesn't help that I am fairly short, so had the seat moderately forward).

Associate
Having a Test drive in both the fiesta ST and Focus ST tomorrow.

Currently have a alfa giulietta cloverleaf that I would be using as trade in. From every thing I have read or watched the feista trumps every other hot hatch for fun so going to try one and see. Dont need the room or the extra doors the focus offers and I have only done 17700 miles over 3.4 years I have owned the Alfa so as you can see I dont spend lots of time in a car but I want it to be fun when I am. Alfa is very composed unless doing stupid speeds and as I drive for a living I have to watch out for my license.

Would probably get the Mountune kit dealer fitted to up the performance as it does not effect the warrenty and the standard sound system is a bit rubbish so would look to get a small under seat sub and up rated speakers fitted if I chose to buy one.

Drive the deal have quoted £16800 for ST-3 in Spirit blue with style pack and rear parking sensors and dealer 25 miles away has quoted on Carwow £17500 for the same. Local dealer by reputation are not very good to bargain with so will see what happens.

Also Looked at Polo Gti price from Drive the deal and quoted £17500 with a few options but VWs like any german makes get expensive fast when you click a few options.

Through work I get 20% off BMW's and Mini's But even with discount on a Mini Cooper S I would not buy one as I drive them all the time at work and just do not like them :(

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom