• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Power hungry cards?

Associate
Looking for a new gfx card and seeing a lot recommend 600w or above psu. I have a corsair HX520w. It really new psu time or will it manage. Been mainly looking at 390s but open to suggestions.

Associate
According to Corsair Link software my spec in sig uses approx 400+ watts with everything at stock during a gaming session. Depending on the rating of your powersupply and it's age, you maybe fine, but you will be pushing your powersupply.

Soldato
According to Corsair Link software my spec in sig uses approx 400+ watts with everything at stock during a gaming session. Depending on the rating of your powersupply and it's age, you maybe fine, but you will be pushing your powersupply.

He'll be fine on a HX520W + GTX 970.

I had an i7 920 @ 4GHz + GTX 470 (furnace) on a HX520W and it ran fine.

Associate
PSU recommendations are typically inflated to cover poor quality PSUs that don't live up to their specification. A decent 520W PSU like yours will be fine for any single card. For instance I have an AMD Fury which is nominally 275W, the same as the 390. Along with my 95W CPU, my system peaks at 400W measured at the wall (360W DC assuming 90% efficiency), leaving plenty of headroom with my 500W PSU.

Back
Top Bottom