Overnight Oatmeal

Permabanned
Try making it hot, that way it will Taste better. Cold food always has less flavor than hit due to the volatile chemicals and aromatics not evaporating sufficiently. Imagine a cold soggy roast potato vs a hit straight from the roast tasty, world of difference.

Yeah but then you've just made Porridge. ;)

I tried it with coconut yoghurt instead which added more flavour and going to play around with adding more milk and fruit too.

Associate
I do 125g strawberry skyr, 75ml milk and a squirt of maple syrup mixed together, 50g oats on top of that and then 100g of frozen forest fruits from sainsbury's. Leave it in the fridge overnight and mix it up in the morning.

Admittedly I eat it more as a snack during the day than for breakfast but it reminds me of a mixed up yoghurty cranachan.

Almond milk and cherries make it like cherry bakewell.

Associate
Yeah I know it's more porridge than oats when heated...does it help they only got about luke warm rather than hot? Just not into them being stone cold straight out of the fridge.

Maybe if I add some granola to the top......hmmm, shall be experimenting again tonight I feel

Caporegime
Yeah but then you've just made Porridge. ;)

I tried it with coconut yoghurt instead which added more flavour and going to play around with adding more milk and fruit too.

Of course overnight oatmeal is just cold porridge. It's simply a question of whether you want your porridge hot or cold.

Caporegime
Porridge - Definition

A dish consisting of oatmeal or another meal or cereal boiled in water or milk.

Definition of Porridge

Overnight oats arn't boiled. ;)

The effect is the same, you can cook pasta with cold water by letting it sit over night.
Some recipes for porridge involve soaking the oats overnight first, and then simply heating them up. That is especially true if you use pinhead oats.

Last edited:
Permabanned
Still not porridge. Can't argue with a dictionary. :p

And making Pasta go soft by leaving it in cold water isn't really cooking by definition either.

Definition of Cooking

Not usually one to nit pick over little things the whole point of this thread is recipes/ideas for cold oats, not hot ones.

Last edited:
Soldato
Bump! Now that we're having nice hot weather the girlfriend and I have swapped from hot porridge to muesli and yoghurt in the mornings. Went away at the weekend and the hotel had some lush bircher muesli on the buffet.

So I ask you, surely overnight oats and bircher muesli are essentially the same thing just with slightly different fruit added?

I still haven't tried overnight oats but think I should. Porridge oats are much cheaper than muesli.

For porridge, we normally do 1 ramekin of oats to 2 ramekins liquid (normally one water, one milk). I'm guessing a ramekin is about half a cup. I have natural yoghurt, milk and porridge oats so what ratio should I use for overnight oats? :)

Soldato
still alternating porridge(touch of cream, maple syrup sometimes) and muesli, best of both worlds, and, like benfits of a hot(not alternating) mug of tea on a hot day, does that not follow for porridge.

Isn't the grated/macerated apple/fruit part of the Bircher recipe a distinguishing feature ?, but agree soak looks the same.

1 tbsp. of rolled oats,
left to soak in 3 tbsp.
of cold water for
12 hours
1 tbsp. of sweetened
condensed milk
1 tbsp. of lemon juice
1 large or 2 small
apples, freshly grated
with the skin
1 tbsp. of ground
hazelnuts or almonds

Last edited:
Soldato
Yeah it seems the bircher is usually soaked in fruit juice

from the Bircher recipe, pre-soak(infusion?) is just water nothing acidic, the apple is only added the following day -
grating the apple, however, may give a degree of mixing/incorporation of ingrediants that most other mueseli, over-night recipes do not share
so maybe a different texture, mouth-feel ( I need to try it. )

The origin appears to be that many people in the Bircher sanotoriums did not have teeth

Caporegime
you can put anything in these as you would a smoothie or shake.

peanut butter
goji berries
cacao nibs
banana
blueberries
honey
maple syrup

the list is endless

i make mine using oat milk, coconut milk, almond milk, etc instead of cows milk.

usually 20% of jar is milk, 2-3 large scoops of oats, then toppings. give it a shake then put in the fridge overnight.

For reasons of laziness in the morning and needing to eat a little better I have actually just ordered a few La Parfait small jars for this very purpose, will post back with the results!

no need for fancy jars. i just re-used a mayonnaise one. they come with plastic (not paper glued on) branding over the top. cleaned it out and it's now my overnight oats jar.

Soldato
tried my first overnight oats this morning. just very plain one but it wasnt bad. the yogurt i bought was a bit sweet
going to try adding banana and a few other things next time
i need to get some small jars to store it in then i can maybe bring to work with me for an addition to my lunch

Back
Top Bottom