DENIS

Soldato
Soldato
I've switched my CPU across from F@H to DENIS. Got it set up and running with the SESEF optimised app running (I think). It's generating 4 tasks and each is taking about 2 hours to complete. Does this seem right? The CPU is i5 4690k at stock. I have set one core in F@H to fold for the GPU reporting there.

The two files are in correct directory (Programdata\BOINC\projects\denis....\

Thanks for any advice.

At the moment you are using the standard app, you can tell because your tasks will say "anonymous platform" in the application description, yours don't.

Shut boinc down (file, exit boinc) restart and then the next batch of work units you recieve should use the optisimed app, it's ok to abort any older WUs in order to received the newer ones quicker.

And thanks for helping out! :)

PDW

PDW

Associate
OP
@Boycie

I've noticed that your v3 Xeon runtimes are considerably more than mine and Colin's. I don't know if there are any other issues but I would definitely recommend running the AVX2 optisimed app if you haven't done so already. Goes for anyone else with an haswell or skylark CPU.

Download:
http://optos.sesef.pl/denis or https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/1452459/denis/denis1.6.1_avx2.zip
There are quite a few not running the latest optimised app :(
Though guess if Colin has gone back to work he might not be able to update his.

Moved last machine over to Windows late last night so all are now running Denis. Have set vLHC to no new tasks but they take 24 hours to run and a couple of machines only run 1 of the 2 allowed at a time so they will take another day to stop. After that I'll be turning off DPAD for the duration.

Associate
At the moment you are using the standard app, you can tell because your tasks will say "anonymous platform" in the application description, yours don't.

Shut boinc down (file, exit boinc) restart and then the next batch of work units you recieve should use the optisimed app, it's ok to abort any older WUs in order to received the newer ones quicker.

And thanks for helping out! :)

Thanks for the note. I can see what you mean as I've checked the difference between mine and yours, in the descriptions. However, I did what you said, stopped and restarted, aborted all the current tasks, downloaded new ones. But they're still set for 1hr 55mins each.

I tried sesef's oprtimized SSE3 app (1.5.5) and that still shows 1hr 55. Currently running BOINC manager 7.6.9, but must have a setting wrong somewhere....

Any ideas?

Associate
Thanks for the note. I can see what you mean as I've checked the difference between mine and yours, in the descriptions. However, I did what you said, stopped and restarted, aborted all the current tasks, downloaded new ones. But they're still set for 1hr 55mins each.

I tried sesef's oprtimized SSE3 app (1.5.5) and that still shows 1hr 55. Currently running BOINC manager 7.6.9, but must have a setting wrong somewhere....

Any ideas?

I made the mistake of unzipping the downloaded folder into the denis project folder and it didn't make a difference. Once i realised what i'd done and unzipped just the 2 files from the downloaded folder into the denis project folder it worked fine.

If it helps, the 2 files i'm using are here: https://onedrive.live.com/redir?resid=A4E0C9331EC3C977!10699&authkey=!AJBE0StA717fh3g&ithint=folder,
Place in C:\Program Data\boinc\projects\denis.usj.es.denisathome\

Be sure to exit boinc first then restart it after

Last edited:
Associate
Thanks to everyone for comments. Had two installations of Boinc - one on C: and the other on D:. When I used D: it worked, as you can see. Must uninstall both and reinstall.

Thanks.

PDW

PDW

Associate
OP
Think I have it running now on my p.c.

will stick it on my 9590 in the morning.
Welcome aboard :)

If you are trying to run the latest Sesef app using AVX2 it won't work on your smaller machine as it only has AVX. You will need the SSE version instead.

PDW

PDW

Associate
OP
Still sitting in the client task list on your pc?

Just looked at my tasks page on denis site; i have 1077 validation pending ! :(

I started a thread on denis forum here Andy: http://denis.usj.es/denisathome/forum_thread.php?id=78#594

I suspect the increase in validation pending is possibly due to all the tasks that are getting 'abandoned' as people set up their machines to run the optimised apps. It appears the un-run tasks just get deleted from the machine but the tasks on the server don't get told about that, they just sit there till their deadline expires. Does that sound likely ?

Associate
Yup, will sort out when I reinstall later in the week. TBH, need to install an aftermarket cooler that I've got and the oc the chip. Glad there's an improvement (was surprised with the 10 fold decrease in time to complete!)

Thanks

Soldato
I suspect the increase in validation pending is possibly due to all the tasks that are getting 'abandoned' as people set up their machines to run the optimised apps. It appears the un-run tasks just get deleted from the machine but the tasks on the server don't get told about that, they just sit there till their deadline expires. Does that sound likely ?

That's not what is supposed to happen, usually with other projects, aborted ones get sent out straight away to another user, it's not frowned upon like with folding for this reason, but they are a newish project so who knows how they do things.

Associate

I'm totally confused tbh, i wasn't aware of this issue until Andy said he had 300+ and then i saw i had 1083 pending validation. They seem to be a random selection of tasks from all machines dating back to 16/10 and are steadily climbing. I now have 1302 pending validation so the issue is no better. I could understand it if they were the last 1302 that were uploaded from me but it's not the case. I don't really understand the reply from the denis forum mod :(

PDW

PDW

Associate
OP
Thank you.

will it work on the 9590? am running Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-2450M CPU @ 2.50GHz when i can
Don't think the 9590 will either as it only has AVX, but it does have SSE4.1.
I think the 2450M only has SSE3

Do you need me to find the links for those versions ?

PDW

PDW

Associate
OP
Associate
Think these are the ones you need (from the Denis forum thread), unless anyone else knows better...

to download binaries:
(copy&paste the link to a new tab otherwise you'll get an error message)

Windows 64bit SSE3 (INTEL/AMD compatible):
http://www.boincunited.org/opt_apps/denis/denis_1.05_x86_64-windows__sse3_v3.zip

Windows 64bit SSE41 (INTEL/AMD compatible):
http://www.boincunited.org/opt_apps/denis/denis_1.05_x86_64-windows__sse41_v3.zip

or this?

http://optos.sesef.pl/denis

Back
Top Bottom