brute force attack on linux encrypted volume

Soldato
OP
Hashcat

http://calc.opensecurityresearch.com/

Have fun op.

Could take you the next 10, 000 years depending on password. Also you can buy for services on-line that will break passes for you, they use a server farm to speed up the process.... not that I know about any of this. Trolol.

its a fair bet its a word with a number at the end (a very week password) there are only 1 million words in English x 3 - 6 numbers at the end.. so i think that makes 1 billion to 1000 billion ish.. (or i might be doing my maths wrong)

Soldato
1 trillion is a lot, such numbers make me dizzy. Have to ask though, what the hell is so important you're willing to spend 10 years getting into it. I mean you know we need to know more information so we can 'help' you with correct methods.

Soldato
OP
1 trillion is a lot, such numbers make me dizzy. Have to ask though, what the hell is so important you're willing to spend 10 years getting into it. I mean you know we need to know more information so we can 'help' you with correct methods.

well I'm not spending 10 years of my time I just keep the rig running and spend a few hours upgrading every year or 2, just the cost of electricity... and id obviously not expect 10 years id hope for a lot less

Soldato
OP
You need to know the encryption algorithm and key strength to calculate this. It could range from a realistic time frame to many times the age of the universe on current hardware.

encryption algorithm i assume cannot be determined so its not really doable then?

Associate
well I'm not spending 10 years of my time I just keep the rig running and spend a few hours upgrading every year or 2, just the cost of electricity... and id obviously not expect 10 years id hope for a lot less

And what if the power supply is cut or you suffer a hardware failure during that time, would you know how to recover or would you start over?

And what makes you think it'll be 10 years, the odds are drastically against you, you'll likely be waiting all your life for nothing. It's not feasible.

I think you need to call it a day.

Soldato
OP
And what if the power supply is cut or you suffer a hardware failure during that time, would you know how to recover or would you start over?

And what makes you think it'll be 10 years, the odds are drastically against you, you'll likely be waiting all your life for nothing. It's not feasible.

I think you need to call it a day.

Id like to think the software could use a log to know where it go to.

I said if its possibly only a 10 year (with today hardware) project it might be worth starting, with the increases in performance time will decrease.. its not like im dedicating my life to the project... just press the button and check every week to make sure its still running... if it costs me a few K in electricity over the next few years its worth it

Associate
I bet drive fails before you get your dead mates bitcoins.:p

edit. side note lets hope you didn't kill him for the coins....

Soldato
+1, this has bitcoin all over it! :D

The willingness of OP to spend 10-15k on videocards smells like this too, or some financial information he knows is worth a lot.

Or is it dirty pics of your ex and you want to blackmail her because her name is Theresa May?

If so you have my blessing.

Godspeed op.

you sir have just pooped on my parade :(

You really need to be asking this on other forums too (more related to this subject) to try to figure out what you are really dealing with. (if it is truly that important to you)

Last edited:
Permabanned
I use full drive LUKS encryption on my drives. If I forgot the password, I would consider the drive lost and drill a few holes in it. Should have made a backup of the encryption key. I don't, as it's a security risk. But the password is unforgettable to me since I have to use it every time I turn my laptop or workstation on and unlock the system.

Soldato
I use full drive LUKS encryption on my drives. If I forgot the password, I would consider the drive lost and drill a few holes in it. Should have made a backup of the encryption key. I don't, as it's a security risk. But the password is unforgettable to me since I have to use it every time I turn my laptop on workstation on and unlock the system.

MyDongIzRelyMassive!231

Permabanned
MyDongIzRelyMassive!231

Haha! Sort of. 16 characters. Letters, numbers, symbols. Used the same string for years. So I can repeat it backwards to myself at this point without really thinking about it.

On the other hand, I don't remember online account passwords. I generate random 16 char strings for those and save them in a text file which is kept on a LUKS encrypted USB stick. Uses the same string to unlock as the laptop and workstation. So the only actual password I have to remember is the most important LUKS one. Everything else I just copy and paste from the text file. I don't trust password managers.

Back
Top Bottom