**** Official Fallout 4 Thread ****

Soldato
How the heck do you figure that a walkthrough/guide is like a review?

A review is supposed to not contain spoilers, but to tell you how the game stacks up in terms of writing, performance, bugs, etc.

Do I live on a different planet to the rest of you or something? :p

I thought you lived in Pretend Land?

Soldato
Spent ages wondering why my VPN connection wasn't chaning my location in Steam... Realised my Macbook was still logged in lol.

Unlocking now, just in time to go back to work.

Soldato
Anyone got a free VPN then works? I've tried VYPRvpn and freedome but both are failing when connecting to a Melbourne vpn.

Vypr worked for me, and HideMyAss probably would have done too if I realised my Macbook was still logged into Steam.

Try different servers, I used the NZ server myself and it connected after about 3 tries.

Associate
I'll not get to give it a go until tomorrow evening. Not too fussed about that!

Got Friday off to do a jobs around the house, I reckon not as many as planned will be getting done :)

Soldato
On max settings wit a 970 and 4690k I'm getting 40fps and it doesn't really look great

Any one know what the performance hogs are

Soldato
So how are the graphics on high then people? They looked dire on early screenshot leaks, but that could have been xbox.
It's still not amazing looking overall, technically. Some weak areas, poor textures(by modern standards), but it does seem to have decent enough object and shadow draw distances. Detail level draw distance is a sore point in certain areas, though. Geometry isn't particularly noteworthy either, though I think most people who have played these games know Bethesda dont get too crazy here.

Lighting is impressive and absolutely next-gen looking. Combined with an improved art style(in my opinion) and removal of nasty color filters in most areas, along with physically based rendering for materials, it's overall a shiny new coat over what is still recognizably a Bethesda open world RPG.

Aliasing also seems to be surprisingly clean for a game with as much environmental detail as it has. Not perfect, but nothing some downsampling wont fix or improve.

All in all I'd say I'd be reasonably happy with it and it provides a good base for modding, as one of the weakest aspects - textures - should be one of the most heavily pursued modding areas.

Back
Top Bottom