Show Us Your Motors!

4T5

4T5

Man of Honour
If you look in the spare wheel weel you will see a sticker. if you can take a picture ill give you the info from that.

and yes Im 110% positive Ive ran VW and Audi's for years and work on them regularly that is the VE engine..

Cool, Cheers Bud. I knew it was the earlier one as it's the 110 with the 5 speed box the only GT TDi with a 5 speed box, Being the earlier more robust less expensive to fix one works for me.
As for the Oil it won't hurt going from Fully Synthetic 5w/30 up to Fully Synthetic 5/40 or 10/40. The only issues you have with oil is if you mix the Fully with semi or Non.
Appreciate the heads up though, Changing the Oil & Filter on these is so easy it's not even a pain to do. Good job I got the 5/30 cheap I've only wasted 27 quid instead of 45'ish :p

Associate
Cool, Cheers Bud. I knew it was the earlier one as it's the 110 with the 5 speed box the only GT TDi with a 5 speed box, Being the earlier more robust less expensive to fix one works for me.
As for the Oil it won't hurt going from Fully Synthetic 5w/30 up to Fully Synthetic 5/40 or 10/40. The only issues you have with oil is if you mix the Fully with semi or Non.
Appreciate the heads up though, Changing the Oil & Filter on these is so easy it's not even a pain to do. Good job I got the 5/30 cheap I've only wasted 27 quid instead of 45'ish :p

yea the older 110's are far more reliable and cheaper to fix I still run one with 200k on the clock its the Audi A4 quattro avant I have though.

We had the 130 pd passat and it wasn't as good on fuel and didint go aswell as the old 110 Passats or Audi's we've had.

I had an old 110 Passat sport that kept on going to over 500k after I sold it with 255k on it

My Audi gets 10/40 every oil change. I try and do it every 5k but that's just me.

Last edited:

4T5

4T5

Man of Honour
Appreciate the info & being corrected, Learn summit new every day even at my ripe old age. :cool:
I'm happy to keep oil changes around the 5k mark as I know how important they are on a Derv, Where the oil filter is makes it easier than any other motor I've had which is a bonus as I intend keeping it which is why all the above work got done. :)

What's the best TDi Forum UK Based ?

Man of Honour
I never understand why people want their number plates obscured when posting pictures on forums? It's not as if you drive around in public with them obscured?

Because it's far easier to just look it up online if you need a registration number from a car of a certain make/model/trim than it is to aimlessly drive around until you see the one you need?

There are numerous cases of people having issues with cloned plates so it's a fairly sensible and prudent step to take to reduce the chance of it happening to you.

Associate
Appreciate the info & being corrected, Learn summit new every day even at my ripe old age. :cool:
I'm happy to keep oil changes around the 5k mark as I know how important they are on a Derv, Where the oil filter is makes it easier than any other motor I've had which is a bonus as I intend keeping it which is why all the above work got done. :)

What's the best TDi Forum UK Based ?
there's a good MK4 golf forum there's also

http://www.vwaudiforum.co.uk/

Soldato
[TW]Fox;28820682 said:
Because it's far easier to just look it up online if you need a registration number from a car of a certain make/model/trim than it is to aimlessly drive around until you see the one you need?

There are numerous cases of people having issues with cloned plates so it's a fairly sensible and prudent step to take to reduce the chance of it happening to you.

What's more, you have nothing to lose by doing it ...except 1-2 minutes and potentially a lot of time and aggravation if you don't.

Caporegime
:eek:
CHANGE YOUR OIL NOW!!!! this engine is not a PD engine it is the VE engine you will do damage running this on PD oil

give it an oil flush then change it to standard diesel oil with a new filter. who told you this engine is a PD?
this is the older ( more reliable ) VE engine with the mechanical pump
the PD has common rail and expensive electronic injectors!!

great cars though if serviced well and with the correct fluids will last for ever.
is it the AFN or the AHF engine? there more or less the same engines and are bullet proof.
get the EGR blanking plate fitted and if you get chance clean out the inlet manifold. youll gain better mpg and it will be more responsive.

EDIT: the correct oil for youre car is 5w-30 use a good quality oil in it and it will run for ever..

Absolute rubbish. 'PD' oil will cause no problems in a common rail engine. PD oil being 505 01.

However if it has a DPF it will need a 504/507 oil which can be 0W-30 or 5W-30

Associate
Absolute rubbish. 'PD' oil will cause no problems in a common rail engine. PD oil being 505 01.

However if it has a DPF it will need a 504/507 oil which can be 0W-30 or 5W-30
its to old for a DPF
I personally would recommend running the engine on the correct oil.
the correct PD oil is designed for the PD engines for a reason.

yes the older VE engines aren't as picky as the PD engines but I personally would not take the chance.

his engine is not a common rail!! it is a VE derived engine it has a mechanical injection pump which is plainly visible on the side of the block. the injectors are pressure operated hence the individual pipes going to each injector!!

A common rail engine has a fuel rail which supplies fuel to all 4 injectors at one time but then the injectors are electronically fired in time which is controlled through the ecu not a mechanical pump hence the need of only a fuel rail

Man of Honour
its to old for a DPF
I personally would recommend running the engine on the correct oil.
the correct PD oil is designed for the PD engines for a reason.

yes the older VE engines aren't as picky as the PD engines but I personally would not take the chance.

his engine is not a common rail!! it is a VE derived engine it has a mechanical injection pump which is plainly visible on the side of the block. the injectors are pressure operated hence the individual pipes going to each injector!!

A common rail engine has a fuel rail which supplies fuel to all 4 injectors at one time but then the injectors are electronically fired in time which is controlled through the ecu not a mechanical pump hence the need of only a fuel rail

You do realise due to his work industry Simon knows more about oil than just about most of us on here

[TW]Fox;28822347 said:
I thought the PD wasn't common rail? It's PD..

Neither the PD or VE are common rail. The common rail VAG engines are the 2litre from 2006 or there abouts

Associate
You do realise due to his work industry Simon knows more about oil than just about most of us on here

Ive no ideas what Simon does for a living.
I just know that the above engine is a non PD engine and in my personal opinion I wouldn't be running it on oil designed for a PD engine.

granted I do know that the older engines aren't as fussy as the PD engines and Ive had both engine types stripped down on several occasions.

Ive worked in the motor trade most of my life and have lost count on how many engines ive striped and rebuilt tbh. Ive always been a stickler for the correct oil being used!!

Associate
[TW]Fox;28823117 said:
You claimed the PD was common rail though so it doesn't seem like its an engine you are familiar with.
ahh you're correct I did
I must admit that was a mistake and was not intended I was more trying to explain the engine which was pictured.

the PD is pump duse not the same as common rail I must admit.
the PD has still not got a mechanical pump VE ( distribution pump ) on the side of the engine.

it has a low pressure pump in the tank then a high pressure pump on the end of the camshaft the injectors also have a pump which is operated via a lobe on the cam hence the pump duse ie individual pump unit. they also have an electronic side built into the injectors which the VE engine doesnt.

4T5

4T5

Man of Honour
Mine being the older more agricultural lump has saved me from my ignorance. :D Tuther way round would have been a pain but swapping out this oil for another fully synthetic shouldn't cause any issues, These old lumps have been around for ages the oil in there is Quality & I'm not using the car at extremes either temp wise or performance wise. I'll run it for a couple of hundred miles then swap it out for some FS 10w/40 & keep the FS 5w/40 for future use on a Trader.
As i said earlier mixing 2 Fully Synthetic oils won't cause any issues, Mixing semi or non with synthetic can cause Gel to form as the chemicals react with each other but even this is unlikely. Maybe Simon can explain it properly. :)

Either way I will be changing it as I just want the motor Bang on. :cool:

Caporegime
PD engines need special testing beyond 'normal' oils

The PD engine has injectors driven by the camshafts, this puts massive loads on the cams and cam bearings and so you need to run oils through this extra PD testing to claim the VW 505 01 specification. Engines are usually BNV, BMM and BLS types.

'Non PD' engine oils are 505 00 and will have not passed these PD specific engine tests.

There is no issue using PD oils in non PD engines, if anything they are over engineered for the application. I'd stick to a 5W-40 w/ 505 01 over 5W-30 or 10W-40 (where possible, ie DPF not fitted) in both PD and CR diesels.

Associate
PD engines need special testing beyond 'normal' oils

The PD engine has injectors driven by the camshafts, this puts massive loads on the cams and cam bearings and so you need to run oils through this extra PD testing to claim the VW 505 01 specification. Engines are usually BNV, BMM and BLS types.

'Non PD' engine oils are 505 00 and will have not passed these PD specific engine tests.

There is no issue using PD oils in non PD engines, if anything they are over engineered for the application. I'd stick to a 5W-40 w/ 505 01 over 5W-30 or 10W-40 (where possible, ie DPF not fitted) in both PD and CR diesels.

I know the PD engines are very prone to cam wear having had to replace a few camshafts on them. ( and crank shafts )

as stated before Ive always been a great believer in using the proper oil in engines and don't like taking chances.

Im not going to say I know about how oils are engineered or tested but I have seen the results of not using the correct oil in engines.

the older VE engines in my eyes are a lot more reliable than the PD or CR engines. hence I still run a VE my self.

Soldato
4ee009535c.jpg

Getting it tomorrow. Though won't be insuring it for a couple of days as I don't want to let on to my current insurers that I'm paying less for it than what they want to pay out for my ongoing claim :(

The "colour" looks better in the flesh than what the photo can show. :p
Paint wise, I'd have preferred White/Blue/Black but it's in pretty good condition other than the mark by the front numberplate and fog cover - was offered to me at a great price so couldn't refuse!
Interior and underneath is in surprisingly good condition too considering it's 06.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom