Baby monitors

Don
Can anyone recommend an infra-red camera thingy that can be coupled with an iPhone app?

I have 4 x Zmodo® IXD1D-WAC. 720p, two way audio, night vision that is really amazing considering my little boys room is pitch black. The app on the phone is called Zviewer. Oh, they're wireless too, you just need power for them. They're really one of the best purchases I've made in the past few years.

Soldato
That looks excellent. How is streaming over 3G/4G? Can the camera be angled downward? Are the LEDs on the front bright? I was hoping it would be discrete as he's old enough now to notice it and I reckon it would keep him awake pointed right at him.

Caporegime
Not to be grim but if he's stopped breathing/moving...isn't it a bit too late?

You're going to go into a wild panic any time there's a slight problem with the pressure pads and there's a false alarm!

Soldato
Can anyone recommend an infra-red camera thingy that can be coupled with an iPhone app?

We used to have a simple walkie talkie one, now (20mths old) we just listen out for him as he makes enough noise if he wants something or needs help re-settling, but for number two I might consider the sensor pads if they don't give off too many false alarms, as I'm sure each alarm will cause us a micro heart attack!

ibaby - also works on pc browsers, over the internet (change the default password and port!) and real phones like android (I hate apple...)

Moves around too.

Soldato
I would highly recommend you DON'T get one of those sensor pads.

You'll have the baby next to you for the first few months anyway and no doubt any snuffle or noise will have you leaping out of bed anyway but many friends of ours had horrible experiences with those pad-based monitors.

One in particular had a baby that used to (somehow) move around the cot quite a bit and several times in the night the alarm would go off and they'd leap out of bed thinking their baby had stopped breathing - I swear the dad went grey after a week! They literally threw theirs our after a month.

We have (and still use) a 'BT 150 Digital Baby Monitor' (oldie but very good if you can still find one) and combine that with Foscam FI8910W IP webcam that we can monitor on our phones/tablet if required and that is all we need since our daughter went into her own room.

First child we had baby monitors, second, wine.
:D

Soldato
I would highly recommend you DON'T get one of those sensor pads.

You'll have the baby next to you for the first few months anyway and no doubt any snuffle or noise will have you leaping out of bed anyway but many friends of ours had horrible experiences with those pad-based monitors.

One in particular had a baby that used to (somehow) move around the cot quite a bit and several times in the night the alarm would go off and they'd leap out of bed thinking their baby had stopped breathing - I swear the dad went grey after a week! They literally threw theirs our after a month.

I disagree here

Our sensor pad and monitor works fine, once in a blue moon it does go off incorrectly and usually the result of the angle the baby is now sleeping at (my little one is 5 months old now).

Well worth the re-assurance, especially when he was young. Yes we did have a couple of jump out of bed moments but I'm being honest when I say it was once or twice maximum.

We use the AngelCare AC401, acts as a monitor plus the pad, both of which can be switched on/off, with beeps for movement or not (shows on monitor), room temperature etc.

All in all, I recommend one, just follow the guidance - centre of bed, do the tests, on a firm wood base etc.

Last edited:
Soldato
We have an Angel Care Pressure pad with Video.

As said before in this post, the single pad is prone to false alarms, try an find one with two pads.

I know lots of people might laugh at you having a pressure pad. A baby is so precious, and its fine to want to be on the safe side.

Can i also say a video is good, as you can see if your baby has their arm legs trapped in the cot somewhere. Babies can get themselves if the oddest of situations.

Last edited:
Soldato
My wife wanted a super fancy one but I knew she be neurotic enough without one so I did everything in my power to convince her that they were unnecessary, we still ended up with one of the bog standard ones which we've never used. Waste of money.

Man of Honour
We got one of the Motorola ones with a camera. I wasn't really fussed about having one but the missus wanted it so I caved, £45 we paid as it was on offer on Amazon at half price and they did an Amazon family promotion for a further £15 off.

To be fair it's been really good, there are times in the night that Elsie will cry in her sleep and settle off again 30 seconds later, or when she's babbling in the morning but just pacifying herself, it's saved us jumping out of bed as much as we might have otherwise. I'd definitely recommend it.

There are a couple of threads on here fairly recently about baby monitors and new baby essentials if you have a search.

Also congratulations mate :)

Agreed (except we didn't get such a good deal!)
Previously had an audio-only monitor until it broke but it was annoying as you felt like you had to go and check if you heard him whimpering. At least with video can you can get a feel for how disturbed they are i.e. sitting up or just turning over etc.

Only downside is I think the screen has got slightly 'burnt out' from being left on too long, in NV mode it is very hard to make out much detail now.

Soldato
I disagree here

Our sensor pad and monitor works fine, once in a blue moon it does go off incorrectly and usually the result of the angle the baby is now sleeping at (my little one is 5 months old now).

Well worth the re-assurance, especially when he was young. Yes we did have a couple of jump out of bed moments but I'm being honest when I say it was once or twice maximum.

We use the AngelCare AC401, acts as a monitor plus the pad, both of which can be switched on/off, with beeps for movement or not (shows on monitor), room temperature etc.

All in all, I recommend one, just follow the guidance - centre of bed, do the tests, on a firm wood base etc.

Couldn't agree more. We've yet to have a false alarm thankfully. To those saying you don't need them or they cause more worry, utter nonsense - having one allows the wife and I to have a good nights sleep.

Caporegime
Never used one, unless you live in a huge house and cannot hear from where you sit in the evenings.

Waste of money, paranoia creating machines :D

I think that's the biggest problem. There's so much crap manufacturers try and sell you as necessary; and then you've got the +10% effect from having the word 'Baby' in front of it.

Back
Top Bottom