The α6000 Thread

JRJ

JRJ

Associate
OP
What settings do people use to maximise battery life?

Does anyone have any recommendations for third party batteries?

Airplane mode on
Pre-AF off
I also have the rear screen just showing the menu, and then to turn off automatically when I bring the camera up to my eye.

I bought a DSTE charger from the rainforest with 2 batteries after reading some decent reviews, barely any difference between them and the Sony battery.

JRJ

JRJ

Associate
OP
What are people's thoughts on the 55-210? I'm pondering that rather than splashing out on the FE 70-200 G in a few months.

Decent when stopped down a touch in decent light, hit or miss otherwise but could be my copy though, for the money though its ideal for the small amount of use it'll get.

Associate
Had mine for about 2 months with the 16-50mm Lens , got a Sony STP-WS2 wrist strap with it as well all in a Sony LCS-U11 Bag. Got one of those Peak Design Cuff wrist strap as well , but then I got the Sony strap

My 1st half decent camera, so I'm a bit of a novice

Whats the best Sony Lens to get to get a bit more zoom for longer shots ?

Man of Honour
A6000 in black (wanted silver, but they didn't have any in stock)
Sony 16-50mm
Sony 55-210mm
Sony 50mm f1.8
Sigma 30mm f2.8 (couldn't justify the price Sony 35mm f1.8 at the moment)

Battery life is fine. Leave it in airplane mode and I've regularly got well over 500 shots from a battery. Mix of EVF and rear screen depending on who is using the camera.

Need to get a better flash.

Soldato
A6000 in black
Sony 16-50mm kit lens

Then just bag and stuff :p

Really wish I had bought the 3piece kit with the 55-210 lens too now as I bought it whilst over in hongkong and got a decent price on it all. Now finding I want more zooommmmm xD but bought a m42>emount that should have arrived today as had some old lenses I want to try out :) really new to this photography malarkey.... But I'm leaving slowly.

Not sure about the battery life, I'd get a few hundred pics each day of my trip and still have a fair (>30%) bit of battery left, but I would turn it on... Few pics....then off, rather than having it on for prolonged periods of time.

As suggested, putting the display completely off or just on info mode(levels etc with no pic) would save a bit I'd think as it's just sine white text on black background.

Think in going to the rainforest to get one of those dual battery and charger combos.

Anyone using a decent battery grip? Seen a few online but build quality is questionable at best :(

Associate
a6000 black. Nice camera.

Sony 18-55mm
Sony 55-210mm
Sony 35mm f1.8

Flexible spot + touchscreen would have been great: just touch where the focus is wanted then, perhaps, use a quick press on a directional key to fine tune. Saves time to compliment the fast focusing speed.

Associate
I've had my a6000 since March this year, coming from a Canon 60D & a few decent lenses. I got my black a6k + both kit lenses (16-50 & 55-210) via a Hong Kong retailer, but I did get the UK version.

As the a6k doesn't come with a dedicated battery charger, I bought 4x ExPro batteries (same spec as the Sony), together with an ExPro dual charger. I rate the ExPro batteries better than the Sony, as although they are the same spec, they last longer (up to 800 shots using Airplane Mode).

Aside from the 2 kit lenses, which are actually pretty good optically, I also have the following...
12mm Samyang F2 (E)
35-70mm Minolta AF Macro (A)
37mm Mir-1b F2.8 (M42)
50mm Minolta AF F1.7 (A)
55mm Asahi SMC Takumar F2 (M42)
58mm Helios 44M-4 F2 (M42)
135mm Soligor F2.8 (M42)

Steadily adding more manual primes as & when I can :)

I looked into battery grips, but as they all look quite 'clunky', I've not bothered, but have added an Arca-Swiss L bracket for easy use with my 3LT 'Brian' tripod. All my kit easily fits into my Crumpler 'Light Delight' backpack, and best of all, even with all those lenses, it still weighs a lot less than my old Canon gear.

Although I have the Adobe LR/PS subscription, I prefer to edit my images with DxO OpticsPro 10, which seems to produce much better images, and the noise reduction leaves others in the dust.

I've also done the eye sensor 'mod' to reduce its sensitivity, and now I can use the rear screen better without it constantly switching to the EVF unnecessarily.

Soldato
A6000 in black

Sony 16-50mm PZ
Sony 55-210mm
Helios 44-2 58mm (M42) - on the way!

Currently looking at a Samyang 12mm F2 for some astrophotography as the kit lens is a bit weak.

Man of Honour
Very tempted by the Hassalblad 16mm f2.8 import for £100
Essentially the same as the Sony lens, but even with shipping it's £50 cheaper.

18-200 Hassalblad for about £320 is also tempting.

Associate
To get around the battery life I keep an Anker portable charger in my camera bag - smaller than a pack of cigarettes and means I can keep topping up the battery when it gets low.
I recently got myself an a5000 as a 2nd camera that I can just throw in my bag/pocket and am really impressed with it - especially for £250 with the kit lens. Have added a Pentax 28mm lens to the kit this weekend as well as an adapter for my Canon EF lenses.
Sorry if I broke the rules about posting this in the a6000 thread - but the battery tip might help you guys too :)

JRJ

JRJ

Associate
OP
Anybody added a bigger flash to their setup? I'm looking at the Neewer MK320 as a compromise between size and power?

Back
Top Bottom