Poll: Inverted / Southpaw / Weird Control Users

Which are you?

• "Normal" Y-Axis (Up is Up, Down is Down)

Votes: 26 53.1%
  • Inverted Y-Axis (Up is Down, Down is Up)

Votes: 22 44.9%
  • Both X and Y Axis are inverted

Votes: 1 2.0%

• Total voters
Soldato
I grew up playing on NES / SNES / Sega Mega Drive and Halo 2 was my first intro to analogue sticks for FPS at a friend's house - I was a PC gamer then, so mouse and keyboard. I failed terribly at using the default controls and then my friend suggested I invert the controls. Within minutes, I was kicking butts. Been playing on controller ever since.

So how the heck is my brain programmed to use inverted Y-Axis controls?

Pretty much every game offers that option and I am thankful, because up until recently, I forgot how utterly useless I was at controller gaming when I can't invert (Smite had a bug recently which stop inverted controls).

Do you have the same problem or are you 'normal' on the Y-Axis?

HeX

HeX

Soldato
Inverted Y here as well.

As for why, it's to do with how you perceive yourself in relation to the character.

Normal Y users are moving the characters eyes, so if you want to 'look up' you push up, if you want to 'look down' you push down.

Inverted Y users are moving the characters head, if you imagine a stick on top of the characters head, if you push that stick backwards it tilts the head back so you 'look up' if you push the stick forward it tilts the head forwards so you 'look down'.

Associate
Inverted Y for me to, if a game was released without the option to invert I think I would have to abandon before I had even really started. I have tried to retrain my brain but it just wont happen.

Soldato
OP
Inverted Y here as well.

As for why, it's to do with how you perceive yourself in relation to the character.

Normal Y users are moving the characters eyes, so if you want to 'look up' you push up, if you want to 'look down' you push down.

Inverted Y users are moving the characters head, if you imagine a stick on top of the characters head, if you push that stick backwards it tilts the head back so you 'look up' if you push the stick forward it tilts the head forwards so you 'look down'.

Ahh, so I see my character from a third person view, like a puppet master?

Soldato
I was (am) a PC gamer and felt better with the inverted Y option at first too but since it's set as 'normal' by default I forced myself to play it like that and I'm fine with it now, not tried inverted for years but I'm sure I'd find it very difficult

when I say fine I mean it feels comfortable, I still suck :D

Associate
I grew up playing on NES / SNES / Sega Mega Drive and Halo 2 was my first intro to analogue sticks for FPS at a friend's house - I was a PC gamer then, so mouse and keyboard. I failed terribly at using the default controls and then my friend suggested I invert the controls. Within minutes, I was kicking butts. Been playing on controller ever since.

So how the heck is my brain programmed to use inverted Y-Axis controls?

Pretty much every game offers that option and I am thankful, because up until recently, I forgot how utterly useless I was at controller gaming when I can't invert (Smite had a bug recently which stop inverted controls).

Do you have the same problem or are you 'normal' on the Y-Axis?

Hey Pharma, how's things? We're missing you on Destiny buddy! ;)

I'm exactly the same as you. I was always a PC gamer and mouse/keyboard or a joystick and I put it down to playing flight sims or games like X-Wing and TIE Fighter in my youth. Forward will always be look down/pitch down and backwards will always be look/pull up!

It's the proper way. :D

Soldato
Inverted all the way for me. Growing up using a joystick on the PC cemented that for me.

My Mrs plays non inverted and I get confused every time I play on her account.

Mind you I once accidently hit the X axis horizontal invert on Destiny whilst on her account. I don't think I have every been so confused before...

Soldato
Inverted X and Y for camera controls.
Inserted Y for flight control (assuming roll on X axis) .
Uninverted for direct character control.

Or something :p

Last edited:
Soldato
I use inverted always have.

Although most people think that it could be how you would control a plane for instance its how you brain perceives the control point of an object. On a head some people would consider the control point for movement as the front but other (who play inverted) would imagine the control point as the back. So although people who don't play inverted are a bit weird there's a reason :)

Soldato
OP
Wow, so far the majority is leaning towards inverted... I'll ask a Mod to set a poll to see if it's anything similar to Right / Left handed people.

Hey Pharma, how's things? We're missing you on Destiny buddy! ;)

Aye, I do miss the sessions of Destiny but Smite / Fallout have Taken me away from the King ;)

Associate
Wow, so far the majority is leaning towards inverted... I'll ask a Mod to set a poll to see if it's anything similar to Right / Left handed people.

Aye, I do miss the sessions of Destiny but Smite / Fallout have Taken me away from the King ;)

Da-dum tsss! He's here all week boys and girls! :D

You should pop back on mate. Come on, just a little taste, what's the worst that can happen...?

Doctor Pharma, so misunderstood... ;)

Soldato
OP
My missus still thinks I'm weird for playing inverted, I think she's weird playing normal.

My googling skills seems to say there is a fairly even split in number of inverted and normal axis players out there, with neither getting any benefit from using their chosen option. It's weirder when people go inverted X axis though.

Associate
My missus still thinks I'm weird for playing inverted, I think she's weird playing normal.

My googling skills seems to say there is a fairly even split in number of inverted and normal axis players out there, with neither getting any benefit from using their chosen option. It's weirder when people go inverted X axis though.

I always used to use inverted x axis for 3rd person games. I had to train myself to use standard x axis for everything when switching between moving and shooting hurt my brain in Uncharted - moving was 3rd person, so inverted, but shooting was over the shoulder so I wanted to use normal :eek:

Back
Top Bottom