• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

First Core i3 6100 review

Associate
Interesting review. Never noticed the i3-6100 only had 3MB of cache compared to the i3-6300/6320 4MB!

The results of the higher clocked memory has my head in a twist. For so long the Intel chips I've used have benefited from tighter timings then high frequencies for the games I've played.

Built myself a Steam Machine from spare parts the other week. Just waiting for my Steam Controller to arrive to start using it. Really tempted with an upgrade to a i3-6100 + GTX960 4GB though.

Soldato
Couldn't believe that memory speed scaling until I read the intro:

We set about benchmarking the new Core i3 using the same principles we used in assessing the Skylake Core i5 and the i7 - we seek to eliminate the GPU as a bottleneck by pairing the CPU with an overclocked Titan X running at 1080p, but we run the games at max settings (albeit with no multi-sampling anti-aliasing in most cases). The role of the CPU is to run game logic and prepare instructions for the GPU - compromising on quality settings would mean fewer elements to draw in any given scene and would not fully test the processor workload.

So they're testing a system in a config that no sensible person would use? How is that useful consumer information?

Would rather see it tested with a low-mid GPU at 1080p, or a mid-high end GPU at 2560x1440 (or more), with some AA in both cases.

As they say, all they're really testing here is "the role of the CPU...to run game logic and prepare instructions for the GPU". Basically they've benchmarked DirectX 11 then?

whats the equivalent card for this chips iGPU ?

HD 530 is comparable to an AMD R7 250, among others. http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/gaming-graphics-card-review,3107-7.html

Soldato
Couldn't believe that memory speed scaling until I read the intro:

So they're testing a system in a config that no sensible person would use? How is that useful consumer information?
Thanks for that, I can't view the article at work. I was wondering why RAM speed made so much difference in this benchmark when traditionally it has made almost no difference.

Soldato
Crazy how a dual core CPU still gets the job done in 9/10 games today.

The people getting a 6/8 core CPU for gaming should really pay note to this :p

Soldato
Crazy how a dual core CPU still gets the job done in 9/10 games today.

The people getting a 6/8 core CPU for gaming should really pay note to this :p

dual core with hyper threading. So essentially 4 threads.
It's not going to be beating a i5 but in terms of fps probably not far off.

Most games use upto 4 threads where as odd games do make use of more than 4 threads but only a few. I think those people who got 6/8 cores were mainly trying to future proof as if your buying a new rig you want it to last, so buying with future proofing in mind and with out new low level APIs showing more multi threading in games why not invest in more than a cpu offering more than4 threads?

Also AMD equivalent cpu's get the job done too but doesn't mean they're better at the job right?

Soldato
Also AMD equivalent cpu's get the job done too but doesn't mean they're better at the job right?

Err, equivalent AMD CPU's get less than half the performance of a Skylake I3 in games. Just look at the benchmarks posted above. I wouldn't call that 'getting the job done'.

Soldato
OP
Err, equivalent AMD CPU's get less than half the performance of a Skylake I3 in games. Just look at the benchmarks posted above. I wouldn't call that 'getting the job done'.

No it doesn't. Even the old FX6300,is holding up far better than the SB and IB Core i3 chips of the same vintage and is holding its own against the much later Haswell chips.

Having actually owned the SB and IB Core i3 chips too,with various mates who have the FX6300,its had decent longevity.

Last edited:
Soldato
No it doesn't. Even the old FX6300,is holding up far better than the SB and IB Core i3 chips of the same vintage and is holding its own against the much later Haswell chips.

Having actually owned the SB and IB Core i3 chips too,with various mates who have the FX6300,its had decent longevity.

Obviously I'm comparing the Skylake I3's with the older AMD CPU's, there no comparison in performance.

Soldato
Obviously I'm comparing the Skylake I3's with the older AMD CPU's, there no comparison in performance.

ohh so i guess your comparing newer intel cpus to older amd dual cores?

Or quad cores as AMD don't currently have any other cpus that offer four threads than their quad cores. Half the performance... seriously...

Back
Top Bottom