Just starting out

Associate
I'm 35 and never seriously considered biking. I climb and used to paraglide, so I've no issue with the perceived greater risk.

I recently started a new job, and a lot of the guys there have bikes, so on a whim I decided to book onto a CBT course, luckily the school I called had slots free within 2 weeks. I did my CBT last Sunday, and it was a lot of fun.

I'm 6'2" and I was riding a van van, which was a little bit small. My first few attempts at moving the bike were a bit jumpy, but I soon got the hang of the clutch at lower speeds. Soon I was getting up to 3rd gear on the car park - but that was a bit awkward, as I was told not to gear change whilst cornering, so as soon as I jumped to 3rd, I was having to slow down to get back to 2nd for turning.

Getting on the road was great, strangely I felt no fear. I was taken around Redditch and surrounding areas, and got separated sometimes due to busy roundabouts - also due to stalling a couple of times whilst waiting at said roundabouts :).

I managed to get up to 45ish when safe, which again felt great. So, all-in-all, it was a great day. It would have been good to get more road practice, as I still didn't feel totally comfortable with approaching junctions when in 3rd - 4th gear. Start back breaking to slow? Change down to second as getting nearer, and if clear go, else stop, gear down to first? I know it will come with practice

This week I managed to pass my motorbike theory test, so all set to push for my DAS.

I also went to look at bikes earlier this week, and perhaps a bit prematurely, I put money down on a 125. So on Tuesday I'm going to pick up a WR125X, it's crazily tall compared to the van van, but I can put both feet flat when seated.

I'm excited to pick the bike up, but am nervous about getting it home! I'll need to drive it from Halesowen to near Cannon Hill Park, so lots of crazily busy roads near central Birmingham. Some of the fear stems from not being able to use sat nav to find my way home. It'll be a bit of a baptism of fire if nothing else, I plan on taking it nice and slowly :D

Soldato
Don't do it. It's boring, expensive and stupid.

Said no one ever. :p

Welcome to the club! Get used to the 125, get as many miles in as you can before it gets too cold (read:slippery).
Don't worry about getting lost, that's half the fun on a bike. Take the long way.

Soldato
Welcome to the club :D

The basic stuff like changing down etc will come with experience, there's stuff they can't teach on the CBT, like changing into 1st before you stop, so you don't get stuck at the lights in 2nd unable to change into first (bikes don't like changing into first when they're not moving).

Soldato
I found I was changing into first when coming to a stop or junctions anyway. I do that in a car so perhaps that's why I was doing it on the CBT.

Now getting the bike into neutral, that is the tough part for me

Man of Honour
I found I was changing into first when coming to a stop or junctions anyway. I do that in a car so perhaps that's why I was doing it on the CBT.

Now getting the bike into neutral, that is the tough part for me

If it's being a pain which is quite common on 125's their gears aren't as nice as bigger bikes, then roll the bike a little backwards or forwards while applying pressure to the gear change.

Should slot into neutral a bit easier without you having to just smash it in.

OP you'll love it riding round Birmingham isn't too bad to be honest, and the best bit of advice I've ever been given by another biker was "Assume everyone is trying to kill you and you won't go far wrong" He was right.

Soldato
What school did you go with? If you rode around redditch (which is where i live) it was either RMT or openroad? :)

The freedom you have being out on your own is great, it's like when you pass your driving test and you go out in your car for the first time, but on a bike, that feeling never fades :cool:

Soldato
I always put it into neutral while the bike is still moving as its easy then. I prefer to select neutral from second though as I find it easier than going down to first then flicking it up to neutral.

This, on 50cc and 125cc bikes it can be a pain for some reason. Do it whilst moving, or rock back/forth and it should click in easier.

Associate
OP
Thanks all :)

@wazza300 It was from street bike!

@Clov!s I went with Goldies Motorcycle Training. They do the CBT on a car park by Arrow Vale Sports Centre in Redditch.

I went and paid for the bike and bought my gear today. Fingers crossed, I might be able to pick the bike up tomorrow. I figure the roads might be a bit less busy on a Saturday.

Here's a picture of the bike too:

http://1drv.ms/1MBgunT

:D

Last edited:
Soldato
Ah yeah goldie, he's got 2 areas he does, redditch and rubery :) My dad went with him, nice bloke. :)

Bike looks good too. :)

Last edited:
Associate
OP
I've ordered a Almax Immobiliser Series IV Uber chain, and it'll be anchored to a huge concrete post in my back garden. I'm also considering getting a CCTV pointing at the bike, so if the worst happens and someone tries to take it, I'll have evidence.

I figured it doesn't hurt to be too paranoid.

Soldato
Awesome first bike, reminds me of the Nuda, which I really really want :D

Not a great time to be getting into it (cold/wet/salty)! Don't let the weather put you off, soldier through to summer!

Associate
Nice bike although it's not the best time to start riding it's much better than waiting. Only thing I kinda regret was wasting time and money on the 125cc, that being said it did help with the confidence.

Have fun & ride safe.

Associate
OP
I was impatient, and rather than wait an age for summer, I figured I could clock up some miles over winter, and hopefully, by the time summer comes I'll feel confident on the bike and can enjoy the nice weather :).

@Craig321 There's a guy on youtube who rides a Nuda, he's called RoyalJordanian. His 'observation' videos are amazing, watching him filter through busy London traffic is just mesmerising - his Nuda sounds amazing ahah :D

Soldato
I was impatient, and rather than wait an age for summer, I figured I could clock up some miles over winter, and hopefully, by the time summer comes I'll feel confident on the bike and can enjoy the nice weather :).

@Craig321 There's a guy on youtube who rides a Nuda, he's called RoyalJordanian. His 'observation' videos are amazing, watching him filter through busy London traffic is just mesmerising - his Nuda sounds amazing ahah :D
He's one of the big reasons the Nuda is my favourite bike. Been watching for years :D

Associate
OP
I picked up the bike this morning!

I was a little bit nervous about getting it home, there was more traffic on the road than I expected, and the guy who handed me the bike was telling me to be careful, talking about ice, and how the tires were new so they needed 100 miles to bed in etc :D

As I started it, perhaps over revving it slightly due to it being my first post-CBT ride and never having been on a wr125x before, it started raining, and one of the mirrors were loose, so I had to keep pushing it back into position ahah.

I followed the road for a few miles to get a feel for it, and just took it nice and carefully. I then drove the 30 minutes home. It actually felt really good, the bike felt solid, and once I started moving, all nerves had vanished.

Getting it into the garden was a bit of a squeeze, so I might need to widen the gate, but over all, it was a great first ride :D

I have recorded it, so will push it to youtube when it's been edited down.

Back
Top Bottom