Small compressor/air line for cleaning PCs.

Soldato
Entirely possible. Just is it worth it? :p typically two types of compressors, petrol and electric.... You'd be wanting the latter for indoor use and believe they are generally smaller in footprint.... And no gasses lol. But they are still typically big units and majority world be op for just dusting :p

But as I said... Is it worth it? Something you'll use once every 3 months for about a minute. I looked at it before as I used an airline to dust an old pc in a place I used to work.... Was amazing and the dust cloud was huge. But I couldn't justify the cost to get my own.

So I just use my Styrrup bicycle pump with a point nozzle and give that a few pumps :p not as fast and requires manual labour but gets the job done with something I already had.

Associate
long term it will definitely be worth the purchase imo. You should be able to pick up a cheap small hobby compressor up off the bay for around £40.

I use a Iwata Smart Jet Pro for model building and every couple of months just take the side off my PC and give it a quick blast of air and done. Dust filters cleaned every week with my compressor too. (components are taken out every 6-7 months to clean thoroughly)

Associate
this currently resides in my shed I do use it for other tasks so its sole use isint cleaning out computers.. but that is one of its uses..
( I bought this a few month back when I was down sizing as my old one was a 250L snapon job that wouldn't have fitted in my shed )
20150415_192924_zpsgiuboyoo.jpg

If you can get a small one cheap why not.. you can buy ones with a tiny wee tank that folk use for model painting and stuff like that.

If you think you can use it for other jobs and it will serve a purpose buy a half decent one..

I mainly use mine with air tools ( die grinder, air ratchet, air gun, )
mines does serve a purpose as I use it as a workshop tool. Ive even used it to paint the garden shed!! it also came in handy for building the fence with a nail gun.. and its great for blowing up the kids pool!! if you can use one for other jobs buy a decent sized one and a belt drive. if you're only going to use it on the odd occasion to clean out a tower or a hover ( yip its good for that too my misses has discovered!! ) then buy a cheap direct drive thing as small as you can find. even buy one 2nd hand

Last edited:
Associate
here was my old one.. I sold it and bought the wee one.. this one was 3 phase when it was bought new and I used it in the garage I used to run but when I lost the lease on the garage I took it home and converted it to single phase hence the odd sized motor on it

20140506_151406_zps997b4102.jpg

Soldato
I bought a £20 airbed blower from Argos and it's been working fine for me for the past 3-4 years. It has a narrowed nozzle for higher pressure blasts although it does get a bit warm from that after a while.

EDIT: It's still on there for £25, the yellow one.

Last edited:
Soldato
I bought a £20 airbed blower from Argos and it's been working fine for me for the past 3-4 years. It has a narrowed nozzle for higher pressure blasts although it does get a bit warm from that after a while.

EDIT: It's still on there for £25, the yellow one.

Yeah the sort of thing I recommended, mind you I haven't tried one myself but it's always recommended so must be half decent :p

I wouldn't mind one of those expensive dusters but can't justify the cost..

Soldato
this currently resides in my shed I do use it for other tasks so its sole use isint cleaning out computers.. but that is one of its uses..
( I bought this a few month back when I was down sizing as my old one was a 250L snapon job that wouldn't have fitted in my shed )
20150415_192924_zpsgiuboyoo.jpg

If you can get a small one cheap why not.. you can buy ones with a tiny wee tank that folk use for model painting and stuff like that.

If you think you can use it for other jobs and it will serve a purpose buy a half decent one..

I mainly use mine with air tools ( die grinder, air ratchet, air gun, )
mines does serve a purpose as I use it as a workshop tool. Ive even used it to paint the garden shed!! it also came in handy for building the fence with a nail gun.. and its great for blowing up the kids pool!! if you can use one for other jobs buy a decent sized one and a belt drive. if you're only going to use it on the odd occasion to clean out a tower or a hover ( yip its good for that too my misses has discovered!! ) then buy a cheap direct drive thing as small as you can find. even buy one 2nd hand

Should really point out how loud thise things are.... Same for most cheap compressors! I have a clarke shhhh 7/100 and thats near silent. I also have an equivalent titan 3 head which is around 54db.the latter is dry oilfree air!

Soldato
Yeah the sort of thing I recommended, mind you I haven't tried one myself but it's always recommended so must be half decent :p

I wouldn't mind one of those expensive dusters but can't justify the cost..

It's quite good! Although it doesn't have a brush head attachment, I've taped over the holes in the sides for maximum pressure and it blows quite a lot of air! IIRC it can make a pressure dent in your skin from about 3-4 inches so pretty strong.

However it is as loud as a hoover so not so quiet but I think quieter than a noisy compressor.

Soldato
why cant you just use a vacuum cleaner?

Air is mostly sucked in from around the edges of the cleaner nozzle, whereas a blower style shoots air at pressure out the nozzle which has more dust displacing power. Plus I've not seen many cleaners with tiny nozzle attachments and I think theres an issue with static generation on vacuum cleaners.

Back
Top Bottom