DC Vault

PDW

PDW

Associate
Will try a few things.

Just put the existing version of Boinc back after letting the running primaboinca tasks complete. Restarted and Vbox's are happy and pb's are running again. Guess things have improved since the olden days of 2013 :D

PDW

PDW

Associate
Just put the existing version of Boinc back after letting the running primaboinca tasks complete. Restarted and Vbox's are happy and pb's are running again. Guess things have improved since the olden days of 2013 :D

Ok, see the need for the older version, as completed tasks won't upload without it. Hmmm...

Soldato
OP
Was going to ask you about GIMPS and how they validated the work done given it is so easy just to make stuff up :eek:

Looking at yesterday's stats it looks like some people do just that, and today's was even worse :eek::eek:
The bit of work I returned is dwarfed by at least a trillion billion million times what someone on the GIMPS.Russia team turned in.

Their forum are aware of these results but the overall impression I'm left with is that if you want to cheat and do it at a low level and don't go mad you aren't going to get found out. Would that be the right impression ?

I've never known anyone one to cheat, or for it to be accepted in anyway. If Gimps.russia are complicit in this activity at any level then they should be ashamed of themselves and kicked off the project. I personally would be embarrassed and ashamed if anyone on our team did it. Some exponents do have factors, to tell the project that it doesn't just so you can get points is pathetic and damaging to the project.

Soldato
OP
I see that GIMPS.Russia has has it's trillion billion points deducted. i can't find any forums or GIMPs project news to say what went on. I also see you seem to be putting the hammer down a bit, what have you got on there? or is it a secret? :D

PDW

PDW

Associate
Their forum discusses it at the end of this thread

http://www.mersenneforum.org/showthread.php?t=20438&page=11

I have found that they do have a predictor that says how many factors you should find given the work you have been assigned which I always seem to be slightly above so guess they play it safe. So if you never did any real work and cheated all the time you would be spotted. They also will re-run some of the returned results to check they are valid. I'm just a bit surprised they don't have some sort of checksum built into the client and server programs to check uploads. I know it could still be faked but at least it should greatly reduce the number of errors they must get by people cutting and pasting results wrong in error. I know there is Misfit that automates it but not everyone will use it, I haven't got round to putting it in yet.

I turned in 3,224 points today, this was how many were taken away from GIMPS.Russia:
99,999,999,999,999,999,209,038,626,283,633,850,822,756,121,694,230,455,365,568,299,008

So you can see how it might not escape detection !
Also, be aware that anyone could join any team and turn in bad results if they wanted to discredit them. The team and its genuine contributors may have nothing to do with it whatsoever.

I've put both my 750Ti's on it now :p

Production will drop when I start Einstein when I get back towards the end of next week but I'll probably keep the red army on GIMPS if I can push Andy down into second place without them :D

Soldato
OP
Primaboinca has been removed due to invite code issue, the admins were unresponsive, which meant new donours couldn't get an invite code. Pity as it was fine other than that.

Looking at the vault current top ten I'd say 7th looks more than doable.

PDW

PDW

Associate
Was still trickling along on Primaboinca but upload/downloads have stopped today, didn't bother reporting it in the forum if no-one is answering messages. Will be interesting to see if it gets fixed, at least we will know it is not just running on automatic with no-one at the helm.

On a positive note, Atlas seemed to have sorted out a lot of their problems. Haven't had a single never-ending task and had 950+ validate successfully with a total of 16 invalid/error since their latest app version. Most of the errors due to me overloading a machine with only 8GB of memory overnight, a couple cancelled by the server, probably just 3 or 4 that had their own problem.

PDW

PDW

Associate
I have just noticed PDW that you have overtaken me on Gimps, well done :)
We are also just a stone's throw away from 9th overall :cool:
Overtaken and accelerating away :D

Many pebbles are being pitched, it won't be long :D:D

In case you hadn't noticed (I expect you had) but I took OGR-28 from you some time ago. Have stopped for the moment, when we got serious with SAT and Enigma, but intend to go back and adopt the Big Bang approach to get us nearer to 8th :D:D:D

Soldato
OP
Overtaken and accelerating away :D

Many pebbles are being pitched, it won't be long :D:D

In case you hadn't noticed (I expect you had) but I took OGR-28 from you some time ago. Have stopped for the moment, when we got serious with SAT and Enigma, but intend to go back and adopt the Big Bang approach to get us nearer to 8th :D:D:D

I had noticed yes, I got wrapped up with FB but I do intend to revisit OGR again. I knew you would get me on GIMPs but figured you would stop at 100,000, I thought you had some sort of OCD involving 1's and 0's looking at your other project scores :)

PDW

PDW

Associate
GIMPS and OGR scores don't count for Free-DC stats so they won't contribute to the Bozos, Gibsons, etc that I am collecting there :)

PDW

PDW

Associate
Citizen Science Grid has been added back into the Vault, scores will update just after 9am, will see what that does to our position...

Soldato
OP
Citizen Science Grid has been added back into the Vault, scores will update just after 9am, will see what that does to our position...

Puts us back in 10th, quick calculation show that CSG will give them an extra 380 vault pts over us, and we are just 64 pts ahead of them, all the times we've made it to 9th, we've never been there very long lol.

Back
Top Bottom