• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

The oldest CPU you have in regular use?

Soldato
Until the other week I would have said an E6600 Core2Duo for the second/mum's PC. But recently rebuilt it with my old i7 920. :)

The E6600 and not entirely functional motherboard I chucked out figured its only worth a couple of quid at best.

AMD Athlon 64 3400+ 2.4 GHz on my daily use PC built Nov 2004.:eek:

Aww. I had one of those. They were good chips and faster than Intels offerings at the time and my first 64bit processor. Had so much fun with the Intel fanbois pointing out our chips were faster. They were positively foaming at the bit and Intel even came out with those "Intel Inside" adverts with that ultra annoying jingle, as if that made any difference to anyone with half a brain. I miss those days. :(

Last edited:
Associate
My work never likes to pay out for anything unless its completely broken so i work on a photoshop the terminals they use for putting through the orders are Single core no/HT Celerons, The rendering server has just been replaced with a new one but that was an old old Xeon and the PC powering the photo machine is a Pentium 2 MMX on Windows NT

Associate
486sx , 4 mb of ram, 250 mb hdd. My first pc bought in1995, running basic (very) warehouse database in my parents small business since 1999. It was overclocked with jumpers to 50 MHz, and has turbo button.
14'crt screen.
Doom2 is instlled there since 1996, Quarantine, and mortal kombat is still there.Will post pictures when I am back to see parents.

Associate
I have an old AMD Kuma dual core and an old AMD Trinity quad set up for my friends as browsing/video machines. Just paired them with an SSD and they fly for basic tasks. I don't throw anything away as you'll never know when it'll come in handy. Take my 4790K stock cooler for example: After stupidly using liquid pro on my old Nvidia 460 which it proceeded to literally eat the heatsink up, I was able to use the CPU's heatsink bolted on for a few weeks until I got another card. :p

Everything has a use!

Soldato
Elonex P233MMX laptop with 48MB RAM and Windows 98SE, used for old games...

Surely that wins? :D

1997 so yes it does!

P.S. I love looking these old chips up: Vcore=3.3 V, TDP=17 W, 4.5 million transistors, 350 nm process... Incredible, a 4790K has over 300 times the number of transistors.

486sx , 4 mb of ram, 250 mb hdd. My first pc bought in1995, running basic (very) warehouse database in my parents small business since 1999. It was overclocked with jumpers to 50 MHz, and has turbo button.
14'crt screen.
Doom2 is instlled there since 1996, Quarantine, and mortal kombat is still there.Will post pictures when I am back to see parents.

IBM 5160 :p

Used for nostalgia. To switch off, you must remember to park the Winchester.

Soldato
My better half manages to play Sims, CIV BE etc. on my system from 10 years ago...

Opteron 165
Asrock Dual Sata II
4x1GB DDR
Sapphire R7 265 (originally a AMD 9700 Pro, which died and then was replaced by an Nvidia 6600GT and then later a 7800GT)

If I ever get around to updating my pc, I keep thinking that although my Q9300 is a big step up from what she has now, it is so outdated compared to modern spec that she ought to get a new system herself (I keep looking at that H81; 4690; free Bitfenix case combo; which would hopefully be powerful enough to run the R7 265 and her old 7850 in Crossfire).

Associate
I put my shuttle PCs in the loft that I use for retro stuff only recently.

Athlon 2500+
Pentium 4 3GHz
Athlon XPM @ 2200MHz

The oldest currently is my media PC which has a Phenom 2 940 3GHz, works fine on all games I use it for on the 720p TV, no need to replace just yet.

Back
Top Bottom