Netgear D7000 VDSL modem/router

Soldato
Newbie question

I have Plusnet and think my BT Openreach Modem might be on the blink. Can I use this to lose the BT openreach modem?

Also I have a back up ADSL connection, could I configure this on a load balance to use the two even if I have to use a seperate ADSL modem router?

Soldato
My noise margin is dropping with this D7800 as well. Think i'll unplug and put straight into the test socket and see if it persists.

Does sync a few meg higher than the D7000.

Associate
Newbie question

I have Plusnet and think my BT Openreach Modem might be on the blink. Can I use this to lose the BT openreach modem?

Also I have a back up ADSL connection, could I configure this on a load balance to use the two even if I have to use a seperate ADSL modem router?

You cannot do load balancing, it does not support that. To do that you'd need something like a pfsense device, that could support two wan ports in either load balance or failover.

You'd still need two modems, a couple of OpenReach modems off eBay would do, into the pfsense and then out to a switch and your wireless access points. Takes a bit of work to set up pfsense but I put one together for about £170 and my D7000 is just a WAP now.

Or go for the Draytek 2860, that supports load balancing, you'll still need one OpenReach modem though as even that only has one DSL port.

Last edited:
Associate
My noise margin is dropping with this D7800 as well. Think i'll unplug and put straight into the test socket and see if it persists.

That's had news.... See how it goes over the next few days, see if it picks up again. Mines dropped a bit due to the cold weather, and that's a trusty old OR modem.

Associate
one question please from an owner
Has this modem some kind of bandwidth manager? not exactly QoS

what i am looking for is not to involved with qos or rules but just to allow me give specific speed at client devices via just ip address or mac... example the isp line has 18mbps to allow users manually example only 4 mbps limit

thanks

Associate

Noise margin will drop with any modem/router when noise increases. The question is - does it recover the S/N during the day. Just leave it up and running for a few days..

Associate
Hi all,

I have had a D7000 for ~1 month. It was fine until a couple of days ago, at which point the connection started to drop every few hours but recovered each time within ~1 minute. My ISP (Uno) asked me to connect the BT modem and monitor it, using the D7000 as router only. Since doing this I have had no drops (see session history in image below; current session is since connecting the BT modem).

bDs2MnYibjpmvS0GZ6xDVTO1GoaoQsJvmFbkGjr4d17vhkp8Ny_nctp0xPkQNG3kttU5WG0_6QYXxRmv3YDA_At1z-tVNqTT5Icw87ODnP_X_h-fPgk1u31wfTBxhJPEWg6GQq-Pq6b4dwY4NXzhu9a-kcd6R9p9GjmD7chPH4Q9BL7wnfHoYTYYw_ZNdd7DLlYZjb-Fu23OP39ASwgXSx5fRkjVO2klSbPkDD15-8AJ9Bs4efCffk1zC4mt-d_P4KcyVbq9ajKUexxCHt0mzqSza8MnHlDWUDwX4mNiEIyQe_DocCTJo5yEa9kbJmf1ba97VFYLEBQVzYthTRttGRSsar2hbbLaERKbKRqZ78vD3fbvmr_hRjx8mKo18Exi28MEA1UOFv9h7WBuAZgMteaBFY5vSGBJCpbtKbcKMh79OFTosDAmSphu3hdgRkEQJ8M9ebjsgrr8dR0Vr7iiWZa2KLVMoJ0hcNpWinkzkKGRegRpW_e8a8yfY4VszM-rNk-j9wdTtSCVUuuKqVDC4XIxpLyMWUfymq0kXGjejGk=w1069-h933-no

Does this look/sound familiar to anyone? Might it be related to the issues others are reporting? Thanks!

Soldato
OP
Do you have any detailed stats from the D7000? Did you try a factory reset? Was it the latest firmware? I was always advised when updating the firmware, to always do a factory reset and start from scratch.

Associate
Sure - can you let me know exactly which stats you require? I am not a networking expert so please forgive my ignorance!

Some basic stats from the netgear interface, before I switched in the BT modem, looked like this:

YF4_RS5qpPwDEZ28Cd_Swc8sN003iGLOiXug5cHkvT5ReYwo7KCjRhtoYXkNYSNnO4NoBxvWDaY-M3jErZ8yc8NvEdLjFkvm2Ug7kD5gEcILwHEQsU-gFY46UhGpfdJR4aUwVz-sXzWaUHfKHCC9zTorSuozf4hzYsOBZyPyzf7dFKKlelKzKzlvrqKKx0asovKgx5ibImMgnOFL_czG3bZ2yvKRRNqEb9furML2uHIE7Esa_w8c94FVZzmbyEY4UMnxJXaMISEXrQ_ap01e-_N9XW-jyoc_e4iKUuzH68gmYH9UaCgtnccU8DYF0XBrWGOgDXCIn-YeRq6Jfoa7h05fZo4cNC3V1tNJCYTl0Lc2falj-86E_GTYJkzljRVTwdUChoVyCy835e8BqEiGjF-Y_KI5Qo8RDmuxqGDDkH7zaj73y0ZBCutsRGHHBCzgxJ7N-yI4Py-TnY32VlnAsOhEroH9BkjB5idAuBlIzPvtq3QQPbkey4BmgaFHPOM2QYDbpjappGhHDD79KLtAmNBqd9KNy-9TWJQMLBGN2iw=w994-h483-no

Associate
Sure - can you let me know exactly which stats you require? I am not a networking expert so please forgive my ignorance!

Some basic stats from the netgear interface, before I switched in the BT modem, looked like this:

YF4_RS5qpPwDEZ28Cd_Swc8sN003iGLOiXug5cHkvT5ReYwo7KCjRhtoYXkNYSNnO4NoBxvWDaY-M3jErZ8yc8NvEdLjFkvm2Ug7kD5gEcILwHEQsU-gFY46UhGpfdJR4aUwVz-sXzWaUHfKHCC9zTorSuozf4hzYsOBZyPyzf7dFKKlelKzKzlvrqKKx0asovKgx5ibImMgnOFL_czG3bZ2yvKRRNqEb9furML2uHIE7Esa_w8c94FVZzmbyEY4UMnxJXaMISEXrQ_ap01e-_N9XW-jyoc_e4iKUuzH68gmYH9UaCgtnccU8DYF0XBrWGOgDXCIn-YeRq6Jfoa7h05fZo4cNC3V1tNJCYTl0Lc2falj-86E_GTYJkzljRVTwdUChoVyCy835e8BqEiGjF-Y_KI5Qo8RDmuxqGDDkH7zaj73y0ZBCutsRGHHBCzgxJ7N-yI4Py-TnY32VlnAsOhEroH9BkjB5idAuBlIzPvtq3QQPbkey4BmgaFHPOM2QYDbpjappGhHDD79KLtAmNBqd9KNy-9TWJQMLBGN2iw=w994-h483-no

Taking the average S/N for both down and up, you should be getting more from your line. It looks like you may have been capped possibly due to the disconnects/resyncs? Your download figure is around 9dB rather than 6dB.

Soldato
so I have been round the houses yet again. Happens every year at some point.

Hate my Sky router with a passion, yet everytime I look at a replacement I get put off.

I get told to buy nothing other than an asus, yet when you actually read between the lines you more often than not still have to use third party firmware, which is great but I assume things like aicloud stops working.

Netgear looks good, but I have heard about freezes and sync issues. Perhaps that was on old firmware.

Yesterday someone emailed me saying I need to look at the green box to see if it's ECI or something else. This really puts me off spending £150, yet my sky router has the worst Lan and Wifi speeds known to man.

I've already got my username, password and mac address so I'm all ready

so....do I buy a D7000 :)

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
so I have been round the houses yet again. Happens every year at some point.

Hate my Sky router with a passion, yet everytime I look at a replacement I get put off.

I get told to buy nothing other than an asus, yet when you actually read between the lines you more often than not still have to use third party firmware, which is great but I assume things like aicloud stops working.

Netgear looks good, but I have heard about freezes and sync issues. Perhaps that was on old firmware.

Yesterday someone emailed me saying I need to look at the green box to see if it's ECI or something else. This really puts me off spending £150, yet my sky router has the worst Lan and Wifi speeds known to man.

I've already got my username, password and mac address so I'm all ready

so....do I buy a D7000 :)

Firstly, I would go here and find out what cabinet number you are on

https://www.dslchecker.bt.com/

Maybe take a photo of it and cross reference it to one on the list below. Either ECI or Huawei.

http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/fttc-cabinets.htm

No harm in trying the D7000 as at the moment it seems to be one of the more stable units for FTTC. The issues seem to be seen by users on ECI cabinets so thats probably why people were asking about the ECI or Huawei as it is different chipsets.

If you wanted separate items then I guess I would probably opt for an Asus unit also with a custom firmware.

Soldato
Thanks

I was the first sky fibre user in my city so have one of the original setups (openreach modem, sr101 router).

Don't mind keeping the openreach modem. Just want something stable, solid and fast. That said, if flashing a custom firmware means I lose features like aicloud, usb3 storage etc etc then I'd rather not.

Soldato
OP
Thanks

I was the first sky fibre user in my city so have one of the original setups (openreach modem, sr101 router).

Don't mind keeping the openreach modem. Just want something stable, solid and fast. That said, if flashing a custom firmware means I lose features like aicloud, usb3 storage etc etc then I'd rather not.

I believe Asuswrt (Merlin) allows the use of Ai cloud etc still. To be fair, I never had any issues with the standard firmware. Only the modem built in to a DSL version of the unit. the RT versions tend to be more reliable.

Back
Top Bottom