**** Official Fallout 4 Thread ****

Associate
I've just got to an area called Lexington and suddenly I'm suffering from massive frame drops, down to 30fps and it's stuttering pretty badly. Are there any fixes for this out yet? Or anything I can change in the .ini files to help with this? I have AMD 7950 card.

Associate
I've just got to an area called Lexington and suddenly I'm suffering from massive frame drops, down to 30fps and it's stuttering pretty badly. Are there any fixes for this out yet? Or anything I can change in the .ini files to help with this? I have AMD 7950 card.

Lower shadow draw distance to medium, I get the same low fps on my 980ti

Associate

I had the same issue, while you can turn down the shadow distance it doesn't look very nice. i came across a solution yesterday which is a dynamic shadow distance mod. you set your target fps in the .ini file and it will automatically adjust your shadow distance as you play, this means you don't have to suffer constantly decreased visuals.

http://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/1822/?

Soldato
Anyone have problems with beds in settlements? I always have more beds than settlers that are all accessible and under cover and yet everyone still complains about a lack of beds. It's worse at Sanctuary, everyone just stands around in the street rather than going to bed.

Man of Honour
+1 from me, it is now silky smooth with the new nvidia drivers (running 2 x GTX 980s)

I have the same setup as you but I've not tried the new driver yet. People in the GPU forum are saying they are getting worse performance with it on?

Anyone have problems with beds in settlements? I always have more beds than settlers that are all accessible and under cover and yet everyone still complains about a lack of beds. It's worse at Sanctuary, everyone just stands around in the street rather than going to bed.

Are you sure they are accessible? You can place them anywhere, but they might be blocked by other furniture or walls. Maybe try re positioning them.

Soldato
I've been playing this on my MSI gaming laptop which has a g-sync screen and a GTX 980M. When I started the game it pre-set the game to Ultra and I've had zero problems running it. All seems to run smoothly and rarely get any dramatic fps drops. I've had one crash to desktop but that was after playing for about 6 hours..... I'm pretty impressed with the laptop but more importantly really enjoying Fallout 4 :D

I thought it was quite slow going to start with but I'm really enjoying. I do think the settlement stuff should have been explained better. The tutorial hardly tells you anything. I spent quite a bit of time watching youtube videos or reading online about how you do certain things for it. I wanted my character to be a crafter so the settlement thing was a big deal for me, I was sorely disappointed with the lack of explanation. One of the big things was Trade routes, when I picked up Local Leader rank 1 I had no idea how to set up these trade routes or what they even do.... only after watching a video explaining how to do it and what it does I thought oh ok that’s very cool ! means I can pool my resources rather than having stuff scatter in different camps. I don’t know if the people I assign as traders are able to get attacked on the road between settlements or not, either way I’ve geared them up so hopefully they don’t die. I’m working on one giant camp rather than lots of little ones :p Although as Goose said I wish you could assign beds to people.... they moan constantly about lack of beds, I have 18 people (roughly) in the camp and have 25 beds made... yet they still moan. It’s also a bit annoying not being able to assign as some settlers keep stealing my bed in the house I made for me ! I have to kick them out if I need a quick power nap lol.

One of the mods I have found (can’t link because at work.... lol) which has been fantastic it allows you craft pretty much anything in the game. So you can make “Junk items” but some of the junk items look really cool as decor. Also enables me to make guns and ammo which I was happy with. I feel the material requirements are quite fair and does just let you get uber weapons easily, nor does it allow you to craft legendaries either. But great for making some decentish weapons for settlers.

I decided to go into Lone Wanderer perk as that’s the sort of character I wanted to be. Just me and ma Dog(meat). I feel that perk works very well and I find dogmeat quite useful at pinning enemies so I can headshot them, and he can also carry a fair bit of extra stuff if I get overloaded. There are times I feel I am missing out a bit by not having a proper companion, but some of the possible companions have really just annoyed me anyways lol.

Associate
Are you sure they are accessible? You can place them anywhere, but they might be blocked by other furniture or walls. Maybe try re positioning them.

Or they could be somewhere that's sliiiiightly too high for a character to step up to - there are short flights of wooden stairs (2-3 steps) that might sort that.

Associate
I got that too with my 390. Its probably just because there are a lot of things to render.

Ah, I see.

Lower shadow draw distance to medium, I get the same low fps on my 980ti

Yeah I already have it to set to medium and godrays low. Can't believe drops like that are happening on a 980ti as well. I thought it was just AMD cards that it was poorly optimised for.

I had the same issue, while you can turn down the shadow distance it doesn't look very nice. i came across a solution yesterday which is a dynamic shadow distance mod. you set your target fps in the .ini file and it will automatically adjust your shadow distance as you play, this means you don't have to suffer constantly decreased visuals.

http://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/1822/?

Ah I'll check that out, thanks!

Soldato
Ah, I see.

Yeah I already have it to set to medium and godrays low. Can't believe drops like that are happening on a 980ti as well. I thought it was just AMD cards that it was poorly optimised for.

Ah I'll check that out, thanks!

Why should you 980ti owners even get drops, as the graphics not that much of a step up from Skyrim, and that game years old.

Soldato
I have noticed on my 980ti I get drops when there is fog or a rad storm out in the open but not really anywhere else, Seems to be a solid 60fps..... Although I may be running in borderless window mode so that may be causing it as I have noticed some dodgy things with that before.

Soldato
Bog standard skyrim with no mods? This looks miles better :confused:

Yeah, I always say this, but Skyrim (modded), technically speaking is far from the best looking game. However once you add all sorts of immersion mods, textures, ENBs etc, it quickly becomes the best looking and atmospheric by miles IMO. Crysis for example is technically very good, but it's cartoony and gets old fast.

OOTB, F4 is miles better than Skyrim. After seeing how beautiful Skyrim can be, I'm really excited for F4 modding to properly take off..

Back
Top Bottom