IIyama 40" 4k VA monitor

Associate
Mine arrived this afternoon - so far so good! (Edit) - Adding before/after pics to the bottom.

I can confirm it does do 4k at 60Hz over HDMI in the first port only. I connected my PC via HDMI from a HDMI2 port and it automatically selected the right resolution. Over DP I've only got 4k at 30Hz from my work laptop but I suspect thats a limitation with the Lenovo X250.

PQ in 4k - I've not got a lot to compare it against but once you turn the brightness down a little and change it from the default 'user' color setting it looks good - out of the box it's way too bright and washed out. I don't notice any flickering.

Desktop real-estate - loads! The problem is it's quite a heavy monitor. It's a few 100g heavier than my Ergotron LX desk mount is designed for and at least 10" too big - had to order a VESA 200x200 adapter to make it fit at all - more weight. When I'm playing games or watching TV/Films I'll sit back a bit but it would be nice to pull it forward when working as text can be a bit small. I've tightened the arm as much as it will go but it does slowly drop when extended and sometimes makes some odd noises :eek:

Windows 10 scaling is still a bit poo - standard Windows apps seem to work quite well but 3rd party software ends up with a mix of enlarged text and 1:1 buttons etc.

Upscaling
Out of the box it applies a lot of smoothing to 1080p content. Messing around with AC:Syndicate I didn't notice any appreciable difference between nVidia GPU based scaling or display scaling. It does have a feature in the picture menu called 'X-Res technology'. Setting it to 'medium' sharpens things up considerably. It's no miracle worker - you'll need to sit back at normal 40" TV distances for a good 1080p picture - but I prefer the sharpness with X-Res enabled to the default even if the jaggies stand out way more. I tend not to play twitch reaction shooters any more - getting too old for that! No idea what the lag situation is but I don't notice it in Fallout 4 or AC Syndicate.

I tried AC:Syndicate on 4k Very High preset using a 980Ti - looks like it managed 20fps. Given that AFAIK SLI scaling isn't linear you would need 3 to get anywhere near a 60 average. I am running an old 2600K stock clock but I'm not sure the CPU makes an awful lot of difference so long as you've got more cores than a console.

If anyone has any other questions feel free to ask.

Before:
2lse98o.jpg

After:
fxrla1.jpg

Last edited:
Associate
I would put before and after pics up but I don't have any hosting.

imgur.com - free image hosting

Edit: the thing that stands out the most to me from those images are the icons on the taskbar. They travel across about half the screen on the 1080p res. It's about 1/4 of the screen at 4k. Sooooo much space!

Last edited:
Associate
Mine arrived this afternoon - so far so good! (Edit) - Adding before/after pics to the bottom.

I can confirm it does do 4k at 60Hz over HDMI in the first port only. I connected my PC via HDMI from a HDMI2 port and it automatically selected the right resolution. Over DP I've only got 4k at 30Hz from my work laptop but I suspect thats a limitation with the Lenovo X250.

PQ in 4k - I've not got a lot to compare it against but once you turn the brightness down a little and change it from the default 'user' color setting it looks good - out of the box it's way too bright and washed out. I don't notice any flickering.

Desktop real-estate - loads! The problem is it's quite a heavy monitor. It's a few 100g heavier than my Ergotron LX desk mount is designed for and at least 10" too big - had to order a VESA 200x200 adapter to make it fit at all - more weight. When I'm playing games or watching TV/Films I'll sit back a bit but it would be nice to pull it forward when working as text can be a bit small. I've tightened the arm as much as it will go but it does slowly drop when extended and sometimes makes some odd noises :eek:

Windows 10 scaling is still a bit poo - standard Windows apps seem to work quite well but 3rd party software ends up with a mix of enlarged text and 1:1 buttons etc.

Upscaling
Out of the box it applies a lot of smoothing to 1080p content. Messing around with AC:Syndicate I didn't notice any appreciable difference between nVidia GPU based scaling or display scaling. It does have a feature in the picture menu called 'X-Res technology'. Setting it to 'medium' sharpens things up considerably. It's no miracle worker - you'll need to sit back at normal 40" TV distances for a good 1080p picture - but I prefer the sharpness with X-Res enabled to the default even if the jaggies stand out way more. I tend not to play twitch reaction shooters any more - getting too old for that! No idea what the lag situation is but I don't notice it in Fallout 4 or AC Syndicate.

I tried AC:Syndicate on 4k Very High preset using a 980Ti - looks like it managed 20fps. Given that AFAIK SLI scaling isn't linear you would need 3 to get anywhere near a 60 average. I am running an old 2600K stock clock but I'm not sure the CPU makes an awful lot of difference so long as you've got more cores than a console.

If anyone has any other questions feel free to ask.

Before:
2lse98o.jpg

After:
fxrla1.jpg

Thanks for review csin82 keep us update with anything new.

Associate
Would someone who's received one mind trying out the steps shown in https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZnPrGXG_30o and report back their findings, maybe take a few photos? I'm curious to know whether as it's the same panel, it has the same problems.

I can't get my camera to pick it up as its not obvious on a static image but I can confirm that it does do that. On the youtube video even watching it at normal size in the window the bands extended to the top even with my bright background (see previous photo). It doesn't do it horizontally. I've only used the video - I've not tried with colors that extend to the edge of a 'normal' window.

I think we've confirmed it's not for photo or video editors :)

I think we all have to remember we are talking about a £450 maximum unit price 4k display here - my 1080p Panasonic Plasma cost over £1500 back in the day and Samsung will charge you over £2500 for their latest and greatest 4k screen.

I'll try the gopro and see if I can get it on video.

EDIT - It just about shows up on video.
Interestingly it doesn't seem to happen on my display with a black Windows background. It's only visible on a brighter background. If you want the file let me know and I'll find somewhere to host it - 120Mb.

Last edited:
Associate
I think we've confirmed it's not for photo or video editors :)

Much obliged, thank you! If it's not trying your patience too much, could you try scrolling a Word document (white background, black text) and let me know how bad the ghosting is? On the Philips the white-black transitions are shocking, but maybe I've been spoilt by using Dell 3008WFPs for so long.

Associate
Much obliged, thank you! If it's not trying your patience too much, could you try scrolling a Word document (white background, black text) and let me know how bad the ghosting is? On the Philips the white-black transitions are shocking, but maybe I've been spoilt by using Dell 3008WFPs for so long.

Default 11pt Calibri - no problems. 48pt bold also showed no problems. To my eye at least and I did notice the banding on the example video.

Associate
I have OverDrive off and I dont see this issue here at all.

On a side note..

NVidia control panel tests my custom resolution (native but at 75Hz) it passes just fine but wouldn't let me save saying there is already 3840 x 2160 32 bit profile.

And when I try custom 3840 x 1620 and clock 75Hz it passes just fine again and I confirm to save but again there is only 60 Hz one (which has been there from before when I was setting up resizing).

My aim is to have native 16:9 60Hz for desktop, you tube etc and have 3840x1620 75Hz (superwide) that I would be selecting in games.

Associate
Well I've had a bit of time to play and I'm really liking this screen. Being as I use my kit for 3D modelling and CAD work I'm very fussy when it comes to screen quality so if this was no good it would be going back. Loving the extra screen estate over my 28" model. I've taken a photo of both screens together but the 40" shows banding on my crappy phone camera so it wouldn't do the picture justice here as it'd look like a fault.
For the money I think its a superb bit of kit.

Associate
Has anyone in this thread got any direct experience with the Phillips BDM4065UC to be able to objectively compare the two screens?

It's good to hear your experience Cadmunkey as I'd be mainly using this screen for After Effects and photoshop work etc if I got it, with a bit of gaming at the weekend if I'm lucky :)

I've got a 6 year old 27" Dell U2711 at the moment which is really nice, but the 40" screen is calling to me.

The fact it displays the same issues at the Phillips (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZnPrGXG_30o) is a little worrying, but I imagine not all specimens exhibit that behavior, just a few 'bad' panels?

To be fair, I'm not in a mad rush to buy anything, so may just wait until early next year and see what else appears on the market.

One last request if anyone is willing!? Ilyama states the weight as 12.2Kg! That's very heavy compared to other 40" 4k screens (The Phillips, and various TV's come in at between 8kg and 10kg as far as I can tell). Is that it's total boxed weight, or including the supplied stand?

Is anyone able to weight this thing and see if that's accurate by standing on some bathroom scales with it :) ? Or at least weigh the supplied stand separately so we can deduct that and get a better idea?

Thanks all!

Rich

Last edited:
Soldato
[/SPOILER]

What settings have you got on yours for colour and brightness etc?

Associate
The fact it displays the same issues at the Phillips (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZnPrGXG_30o) is a little worrying, but I imagine not all specimens exhibit that behavior, just a few 'bad' panels?
Wow, just seen that youtube video, if my monitor was like that it'd be going straight back!
If anything the only problem I had with mine out of the box is a slight warm red cast which was easily removed by calibrating it.

Associate
Wow, just seen that youtube video, if my monitor was like that it'd be going straight back!
If anything the only problem I had with mine out of the box is a slight warm red cast which was easily removed by calibrating it.

To be honest I can't be bothered to try and change mine (I doubt OCUK would let me anyway as it's nowhere near as bad as the video). I can only get the effect if I stick the contrast up to 70+ which results in an image way too crushed for my eye. Even then you need light, uniform 'pastal' backgrounds and a large area of bright color to drag around (white notepad window, browser scroll bar) to notice. If uniformity and color accuracy are important to you then I'd recommend looking elsewhere. If you want a massive, bright monitor that can double as a TV and replicate the 'living room experience' when playing PC games without having to hook your PC up to the telly then for this price you really can't go wrong and at present there aren't a lot of alternatives without buying a cheap 4k TV.

I would be interested to know if it is my display tho - if it's not too much hassle please set your windows background to a pale blue or grey, open a notepad window, set the color to 'normal' (i-style off), wack the contrast up to 75 and drag an empty notepad window around. Let me know if you see the effect.

What settings have you got on yours for colour and brightness etc?

I've not really had time to play around with it. I've dialed the brightness back to 65 but thats about it. I'm sure things could be improved but I don't have the tools - hopefully TFT Central will do a review one day and put some settings up.

Associate
One last request if anyone is willing!? Ilyama states the weight as 12.2Kg! That's very heavy compared to other 40" 4k screens (The Phillips, and various TV's come in at between 8kg and 10kg as far as I can tell). Is that it's total boxed weight, or including the supplied stand?

Is anyone able to weight this thing and see if that's accurate by standing on some bathroom scales with it :) ? Or at least weigh the supplied stand separately so we can deduct that and get a better idea?

Thanks all!

Rich
Total boxed weight according to the label on the delivery tag is 14.5Kg. I just put the stand on the kitchen scales (it's basically two small metal 'legs') and they weigh in at 250g. You have to take the cables, manuals etc off that as well. It is a heavy monitor and it's not helped by the fact that the hard points where the stand connects are solid metal, not removable and protrude from the bottom. There's no way I'm unmounting the monitor now to weigh it after the hassle and squeaky bum moments involved it mounting the thing to start with so sorry! It wouldn't surprise me if Iiyama's weight was accurate - my monitor arm has been tightened to as tight as it will go and struggles when the monitor is pulled forward - it's rated up to 11.5Kg.

Back
Top Bottom