How many of you have the big 4?

Soldato
Laptop, this is my main gaming machine as well as web browsing etc.

Tablet (nexus 7 2013), never used since I got..

Xperia Z3.

No desktop currently but when the laptop starts struggling with modern games (a year or two) I'm going to build a rig and use steam link

Man of Honour
In our house my wife and I have 3 active iPads, 3 active MacBooks, 3 less active laptops, 1 gaming PC, 2 desktop PC's, 1 MacMini for Plex duties, Galaxy Tab S to gather dust, 3 active iPhones, 1 windows phone. That doesn't even touch the surface of the computers in the house as I have a big collection of vintage home computers :D

Soldato
IMac - music production (logic, spectrasonics)
tower pc - burning discs
laptop - general browsing and purchasing
smartphone - err operates as a phone
galaxy tablet - used it in australia and use it in the garden in the summer

Soldato
Desktop, Macbook Air, iPad, iPhone.. don't need the laptop or tablet to be honest, but wouldn't mind a better dedicated music player. Would save some phone battery too. :)

Soldato
Only have my pc, phone(Lumia 1320) and raspberry pi for the bedroom.

Don't plan on getting a laptop until my work one arrives, and won't be getting a tablet either. Just don't need it.

Soldato
Desktop with 3 monitors.
Laptop, plus another monitor when needed.
2 tablets, one that never leaves my bedside table, one that now follows me everywhere.
2 phones, one an iPhone as my main phone and an Android that I run a pen testing build on.

Few servers around my house too.

All get extensive use, so nothing feels like a waste.

Soldato
hmm 2 PCs, 3 if I count the old system that I'm using as footrest as I type this. Need to decide what to do with it
I do have a laptop but it's about 10 years old and hasn't been switched on for about 5 years. Moved the house 3 times in that time, should really take it to skip next time I go.
Tablet that I use when I go on holiday or on odd occasion when I need to visit another office
And then Nexus 5.

Soldato
I don't technically have 'the big 4', but I think all the roles are still filled:

- Windows laptop which sits at my desk at home plugged into an external monitor - use this for actually 'doing' things as opposed to just browsing the internet.
- Chromebook, which I use for browsing the internet round the house (e.g. at breakfast) and casting stuff to my TV.
- Nexus 7, which I actually don't really use for anything right now...Kindle paperwhite, which I sometimes read on before bed, or take with me on long train journeys.
- Samsung S6, which I obviously take out and about with me, and will use at home if I'm just doing something simple.

Does anyone else who has all 4 feel a bit this way? what can I do on a Galaxy that I can't do on an ipad or vice versa?

Sometimes I feel like I just blow too much cash on these things purely for the sake of having them.

I get what you mean, but I think I've sort of naturally fallen into a pattern of use where I do actually use each device differently, depending on what it's like to use so feel justified in having them all, and although I don't use my nexus 7 much any more it's not worth a great deal these days so I'm comfortable with that.

I guess I probably have a relatively long upgrade cycle compared to some people, which maybe contributes to me being happy with the amount of cash I've got sunk into little boxes with screens on (i.e. year on year it probably isn't actually that much). e.g. my laptop is 5 years old (I don't enjoy gaming as much as I used to, so tbh I just don't have any need for a faster desktop/laptop*), chromebook and nexus 7 (which was second hand) I got about 1.5 years ago, I got the kindle second hand about 2 years ago, although I did get my S6 (second hand) quite recently.

*Actually I did pop an SSD in my laptop last year, so I guess that's kind of half an upgrade.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Desktop for remotely connecting to work and for my son to play games on.

2 year old nexus 7 tablet that I get a huge amount of use out of.

Old macbook Pro 13 that I never use anymore.

Second hand Android phone that gets massive abuse.

Associate
No laptop here. But others in my family have them.

But at my own home...3 desktop PC's. Mobile phone and a Wii U. Plus A tablet that I never use because the phone seems to fit that requirement now.

Back
Top Bottom