ISIL, ISIS, Daesh discussion thread.

Soldato
It's about time ISIS blew up London, it's a **** hole anyway. First place to be bombed should have been the houses or parliament. :p

In all seriousness i can only see this ending badly, not at all in favour of the air strikes.

Caporegime
Is there any evidence that US-led air strikes are making much long term difference?

From what I've read, their successes tend to be very temporary. Comparing Daesh to the Viet Cong probably isn't very accurate, but this isn't a conventional war either.

So, yeah. Does anyone have any evidence that the air strikes carried out until now having a lasting effect on ISIS? Does killing a prominent cell leader now and then degrade their ability to operate in any meaningful way?

Soldato
Exactly, it seems to be there ploy to disagree with the Conservatives on every contentious issue.

I must admit, a couple of months ago Nicola Sturgeon was being interviewed by the news, and her approach was basically "We need to get the tories out, whatever, every single thing they say we'll vote against, everything they do we'll disagree with, etc etc etc"

I'm not really educated enough to know whether everything the tories do/say is good or bad, no doubt it's a mix of both.

But after her interview I sat there thinking "Eh? so you go to work to just say no to everything, for the sake of it - how the hell are you allowed through the front doors at 9am?"

Caporegime
Oh well, let's bomb the crap out of a country in the middle east, kill some innocent civilians and then try to extract ourselves from the mess we've added to.

What could go wrong?

not much - it is already a mess, ISIS will hate us but they do already...

people are being massacred on a regular basis, some civilians unfortunately getting killed while targeting the people actively carrying out massacres is probably a less bad thing than simply doing nothing and letting the mass murderers carry on

Soldato
Right now the little bearded fascists are scurrying around...
That's no way to talk about Corbyn and the hipsters who voted for him!
Off topic, but I feel the SNP, since the general election, have shown themselves to be worthless and the least credibly of the regional parties in parliament.
Quite, it's like they're playing at being MPs.

Associate
In the past bombing an ideology has always worked. I see this going extremely well. We must make sure that anyone even thinking about joining ISIS for any reason gets bombed. That'll make sure nobody joins ISIS. They will understand, they always do.

Caporegime
Bombing an ideology is not going to stop an ideology. An ideology does not need land to succeed. This will only increase the likelihood of domestic threats occurring.

Mate you're mistaken

During a 10-hour debate, David Cameron argued that action against the "medieval monsters" of IS was legal and would "keep our country safe".

Dave knows that this is going to keep us safe. Considering that 57 people have died since this time a decade ago as a result of Islamic terrorism, any fatalities above 6 per year on average would suggest that it's failed at the objecting of keeping us safe.

Soldato
Astonishing turn around from the Government: two years ago they wanted us to fight Assad, now we're sending our bombers out to defeat his greatest foe. Make no mistake, we are now allies of a regime that dropped chemical weapons on its own people.

The enemy of my enemy is my friend. Let's just get ISIS sorted, then we can go back to trying to depose/kill each other

Permabanned
its ok the MPs on the boards of arms companies just made a few £££ what's the harm in blowing up some Syrian kids for increased share prices

Caporegime
Why are people so bothered (apparently) by potential Syrian civilian deaths but not Iraqi?

That's the second time you've mentioned "what about the Iraqis", for some reason. The vote was about Syria, so people are talking about that subject. Do you want people to list everything they are also concerned about when making a statement about one thing that bothers them?

Back
Top Bottom