How did you find your job?

Nix

Nix

Soldato
As title really.

How did you find yours jobs both past and present?

Was the job something you were looking for or something that you fell into?

Man of Honour
First proper job (working as a student) was through an agency who also got me 3-4 other jobs at various points in time.

Worked for my dad for a bit providing maternity cover as I could walk straight into the job with minimal training.

One of my jobs an opening came up where my brother worked and he got me to apply.

Did a bit of work for startups, etc. where I was referred through word of mouth after helping a friend get his business off the ground.

Couple of jobs I saw advertised on one or other of the big recruitment web sites and walked out on my first day one place and within a week at another - in both cases because management were **** and in one case (the one where I left after one day) rampant health and safety issues. (Think they were both on totaljobs.com).

EDIT: Can't remember how I heard of what would have been my first job (after education) - turned up on the first day to find the business had been closed down due to the owner committing fraud.

Last edited:
Soldato
My current career (as it is the 3rd job in the industry) I got as my mum worked for the first company and got me in as a trainee. The second job was an extension of the first as the first company got bought by the second company and I changed roles. The current third job I got after ringing the MD of a customer/competitor (hugely different size companys, the one I moved to had 6 employees and the one I left had over 100) after being made redundant and asking them if they had any positions - 4 days later started at the new company and now been there 8 years and extremely valued.

Associate
How did you find your jobs before that?

I've only had one job since Uni, I didn't have many connections so they must have searched on keywords and location. I think i had 20 or so connections when I left my industrial year but they seem completely unrelated to my current position. I did about 15 interviews in the two weeks after uni and I ended up taking the one where they approached me.

Associate
Of you are talking career rather than job, in my case I ended up doing what I'm doing in financial services via my twin brother (who was already in the company I joined) after I quit medicine and didn't have a clue what to do next. If you'd said to me I'd end up here I'd have never believed it because as far back as I can remember I only ever wanted to be a doctor.

In terms of moving within the industry it has either been through recruitment people that contacted me or that I contacted.

Posted from Overclockers.co.uk App for Android

Soldato
For my current job I just got rung up by a graduate recruitment agency, and after filling in some forms and going to some interviews here I am! I haven't had a 'proper' job before, but did work for a software company two summers ago which I applied for after going to a presentation they did at uni.

Soldato
It found me. I got itchy fingers in my previous job, and put my CV up on to the interwebs, and then a few weeks later I got a call asking if I wanted to go for an interview, and as they say, the rest is history.

Soldato
A friend introduced me to someone here. 2 weeks later they flew me out to France for a week to start working with them no interview or anything. Been here 3 years now. No idea what he said to them because I'm fairly sure that if I'd interviewed I wouldn't have got it.

In fact, friends have helped me to get both my previous and current jobs.

Man of Honour
Newspapers was applying for anything and everything to change job. Then internal move. Now wanting to fall out of said job as fast as possible.
Passed a course today and got another tomorrow. Then a few months mentoring and another round of tests. If that goes ok then have a good chance of being able to contract. Which would improve near future, longer term I want a complete change.

Back
Top Bottom