Final Fantasy VII - "Remake"

Soldato
I don't get why some people are mad tbh. I mean wasn't it obvious that they where going to alter the battle system? They pretty much came out and told us months ago that some things are going to be different.
I dont get what's so hard to understand. A ton of people did not want a FFVII Remake because the gameplay wasn't good. It's the graphics that everybody wanted updating.

Of course *some* changes were going to be inevitable and even welcome, but I think many were hoping for tweaking the existing gameplay and improving on it rather than scrapping it all together and making a totally different type of game.

Soldato
This thread is making me want to get my PS1 connected to my telly and play it again.

Dont do that just get the rerelease on PS4 now. It improves on the graphics and has achievements and cheats that dont disable the achievements like 3x speed.

edit: Plus you get a free theme which is worth it in of itself.

I cant wait for this remake, it looks great to me, I'm not bothered about the changes, and it looks like they might finish this before 2020. So good.

Soldato
I dont get what's so hard to understand. A ton of people did not want a FFVII Remake because the gameplay wasn't good. It's the graphics that everybody wanted updating.

Of course *some* changes were going to be inevitable and even welcome, but I think many were hoping for tweaking the existing gameplay and improving on it rather than scrapping it all together and making a totally different type of game.
When you say "gameplay" do you mean combat system? Because from what I saw the only decisive change (when I say change, I mean as a deliberate decision that was taken and not necessarily determined by the shift away from 2D backgrounds) I saw from that trailer was the combat system.

When you say "a totally different type of game" how... I don't understand what you mean, because from what little we saw it looked pretty much identical to the original game but basically converted to a 3D environment. I did not see a totally different game. I saw FFVII remade into a modern 3D game that essentially mimicked exactly the original scenes. The brief gameplay segment we saw, when we see Cloud navigating the landscape, is essentially an updated version of the original (remember navigating the Mako Reactor, or moving the trains in order to get through to the other side) which was heavily limited due to the 2D map.

As for the changed battle-system, we simply don't know what it will be like. There may very well be an Active Time System but in a more dynamic, cinematic way. We can only wait and see just how far from the original system they've taken it.

Caporegime
As much as I'd rather pc this, I can see me buying a ps4 for it. It looks great anyone thinking they were getting a HD version of the original must be kidding themselves.

The story line looks spot on. I'm all aboard the hype for this.

Soldato
When you say "gameplay" do you mean combat system? Because from what I saw the only decisive change (when I say change, I mean as a deliberate decision that was taken and not necessarily determined by the shift away from 2D backgrounds) I saw from that trailer was the combat system.

When you say "a totally different type of game" how... I don't understand what you mean, because from what little we saw it looked pretty much identical to the original game but basically converted to a 3D environment. I did not see a totally different game. I saw FFVII remade into a modern 3D game that essentially mimicked exactly the original scenes. The brief gameplay segment we saw, when we see Cloud navigating the landscape, is essentially an updated version of the original (remember navigating the Mako Reactor, or moving the trains in order to get through to the other side) which was heavily limited due to the 2D map.

As for the changed battle-system, we simply don't know what it will be like. There may very well be an Active Time System but in a more dynamic, cinematic way. We can only wait and see just how far from the original system they've taken it.
Yes true, I am just talking about the combat system, which makes up a vast percentage of your time playing the game. And what we DO know is that it wont be like the old system AT ALL. It's very much leaning towards a real-time system, probably with some hybrid ATB/command functions ala Xenoblade. Either way, it's a drastic change that completely scraps one of the major gameplay aspects of the original that very few people had any significant qualms with.

Turn-based gameplay doesn't really age, but for some reason, Square is completely reluctant to do anything like that on consoles. It has to be more flashy, action-based. Which I dont prefer at all. I like having control over all the characters, I like a less 'busy' scene with the camera flying around all over the place with particle effects flashing across the screen and numbers wildly popping up around the place so much you dont even really pay that much attention to them anymore. There's something very satisfying about a more visually simplistic tactical turn-based(even with ATB) presentation for JRPG combat. But Square just wont go back to that outside the handheld output and I hate that. The old combat systems are a large part of why I consider the SNES/PS1 era to the be the golden age of the franchise.

Soldato
Yes true, I am just talking about the combat system, which makes up a vast percentage of your time playing the game. And what we DO know is that it wont be like the old system AT ALL. It's very much leaning towards a real-time system, probably with some hybrid ATB/command functions ala Xenoblade. Either way, it's a drastic change that completely scraps one of the major gameplay aspects of the original that very few people had any significant qualms with.

Turn-based gameplay doesn't really age, but for some reason, Square is completely reluctant to do anything like that on consoles. It has to be more flashy, action-based. Which I dont prefer at all. I like having control over all the characters, I like a less 'busy' scene with the camera flying around all over the place with particle effects flashing across the screen and numbers wildly popping up around the place so much you dont even really pay that much attention to them anymore. There's something very satisfying about a more visually simplistic tactical turn-based(even with ATB) presentation for JRPG combat. But Square just wont go back to that outside the handheld output and I hate that. The old combat systems are a large part of why I consider the SNES/PS1 era to the be the golden age of the franchise.

Basically, this ^

How do you make use of your parties varying abilities if you're busy running around with Cloud (who has super skinny arms for a bloke with such a big chopper. Erm, sword, big sword)??

Set up some sort of rule set in advance maybe??

I'm confused, and not at all optimistic sadly.

Soldato
Dont do that just get the rerelease on PS4 now. It improves on the graphics and has achievements and cheats that dont disable the achievements like 3x speed.

edit: Plus you get a free theme which is worth it in of itself.

I cant wait for this remake, it looks great to me, I'm not bothered about the changes, and it looks like they might finish this before 2020. So good.

Can only see this on the US store. Is this playable in the UK, or is it coming to the UK store?

Soldato
Not digging the trailer at all really. Dislike the voices, models and particularly how button mashy the combat looks. Of course, early days and all that.

Edit - actually on second watch the combat scenes still seem to have menus, so maybe not as bad as I feared.

Last edited:
Soldato
People really need to stop being to precious over this.

The original made me ditch the Saturn for a PlayStation and is one of my all time favorite games. Regardless of how this turns out the original still exists and will be exactly how we remember.

So EVEN if this turns out to be total crap, it won't even matter. However, I'm very excited about having an update on this and I thought the trailer looked great to be honest.

Soldato
Indeed. We still have the original. Anything more is a bonus. I just hope they keep the cast as it was in 7. None of the other members from the other games like the newly added ones in crisis core. (excluding zack, he was awesome, and he was in the original obviously )

Back
Top Bottom