Final Fantasy VII - "Remake"

Soldato
Episodic is disappointing to put it mildly.

I'd prefer to wait a few years and get it done properly in one full game.

I mean, it's great that they're really stretching themselves to create the game again and I applaud them for that. Us fans have been wishing for that for absolutely ages.

But, I can't help but think even a drop in graphics would have been welcomed. Think early PS3 era style, whilst maintaining the entire world (and hopefully adding bits in).

Still, nothing has been confirmed officially and we've got no idea how it will go or pan out.

This is SE though... :(

Soldato
they made multi-release since they would have to cut stuff out if they made it in one game. The detail of the game will be so dense, and you will be able to go to various locations within Midgar that you couldn't go before.

Really confused how the size of the game has anything too do with release it across different version. Is it too big too fit on a PS4?? Just sounds like a lie too cover up the real reason that is they want too get more profits, which is fine since they are a business just the BS is annoying.

Soldato
Thing is, I don't care all that much about exploring places in Midgar that you couldn't reach in the original. I care about exploring those beautiful places I explored in the original back in 1997, in grander detail. The Chocobo Farm, Wutai, Temple of the Ancients, Cosmo Canyon, Bone Village, the Gold Saucer and so on.

You just know that when the last episode is out, they'll bung it into one whole release anyway.

Associate
I really hate the sound of it being episodic, I'm just hoping it turns out great though. I do hope that when you have all the episodes the game becomes seamless so you can pretty much travel anywhere on the world map. As far as combat is concerned if its nothing like the original ATB I'd like for it to play like Eternal Sonata. Really enjoyed the battle system in that game.

Soldato
I'm looking forward to it.
I wouldn't mind it bein episodic as along as its like Episode 1 is disc 1
Episode 2 is disc 2 etc.

I wouldn't mind that, Cause in theory it should only take 2 Blu Ray disks if the game is more than 50gb, Since they're claiming the game is going to be "Too Big" to do as a full game, The original game was split up onto 3 discs, so if that's the case then sure, split the full game up onto 2 Blu Ray disks.

Not going to happen, They're after dat monies

Episode 40: Starring Punished "Venom" Cloud.

Last edited:
Soldato
The battle system looks like the system from FF7: Crisis Core, without the random dice role mechanic. Which would make sense if they took that idea and enhanced it.

Associate
Thing is, I don't care all that much about exploring places in Midgar that you couldn't reach in the original. I care about exploring those beautiful places I explored in the original back in 1997, in grander detail. The Chocobo Farm, Wutai, Temple of the Ancients, Cosmo Canyon, Bone Village, the Gold Saucer and so on.

You just know that when the last episode is out, they'll bung it into one whole release anyway.

This!!

Episodes is going to suck so hard and take years!

Seriously i want to play FFVII not FFVII-2, i am worried they are going to kill my favourite game of all time and with it my childhood, thankfully i still have my original and a psone!

Soldato
I can see why there going episodic because the game is simply just too big.
It's not, though. It was huge for its time, but by modern standards, it would just be a full length RPG. Square are just the worst company in the world when it comes to efficient development cycles nowadays. I think one of the big problems is that they're spreading themselves thin with other major productions on their plate like FFXV and KH3.

And it's a total joke that they're now saying that every episode will be like a full length game. NO, it wont. Obviously, it's only going to be a *part* of a full length RPG.

Does show they're likely to charge $40+ for each episode, though. Fully expect it to cost anywhere from $120-180 when all is said and done. And it still wont be any 'bigger' than the original game. And it's going to take FOREVER to all come out.

It's depressing to read all the people on NeoGAF just sucking this up from Square, acting like it's all great and everything they wanted. It's like everybody forgot why we were asking for this in the first place.

Last edited:
Soldato
Only SquareEnix could have done this. Got everyone excited, stood back and watched everyone freaking out, then say "Oh by the way, it's episodic content." :o

Thinking about it, it does make sense to a degree, especially if the company doesn't want to give it it's full AAA attention despite what they say. I mean you can kind of tell that by the way they're not using their own engine and have outsourced much of it's development to another company. They tell us they're not wanting to cut-corners or reduce the game in anyway, so perhaps it will ultimately lead to a fully realised FFVII Remake if done this way... is what I'm hoping at least :p

I know they said that some content wouldn't make it, but without details it's difficult to say exactly what that means. It could mean (hopefully) it's basic things such as the Key-Card collection in Shinra Headquarters - which is gameplay determined pretty much by the 2D maps. The game is full of those types of gameplay mechanics that don't necessarily translate into a full realised 3D game. You'd have to construct another method that would suite the new environment. It could still be key-card collection, but it likely won't be what we remember. I'm hoping that's what he meant by change.

However it could be something bigger which I'm worried it will be - like say the Chocobo farm segment after you leave Midgar. Having to catch a chocobo to escape the Midgar Zolom in the swamp. Or the Wutai Tower sidequest etc. My biggest fear is that they'll do away with the world map as we know it, and give us some linear but more realistic looking replacement.

One of the key questions is, if the game is episodic, how will it transition between episodes? Say episode 1 is the entire Midgar section of the game, you level up, collect everything you can from that part and then at the end, when you're standing outside the gate and do your final save, will all of your progress be saved and carry on seamlessly to the next episode? Or will the next episode start you from a fixed level and only certain things will be saved? If SE are not careful with this it could instantly ruin everything and destroy the spirit of the original completely.

One things for certain, I won't be buying them as the episodes come out. What is the point in playing a story heavy JRPG, stopping and then waiting another 6-12 months for Episode 2? It would ruin the whole experience.

Soldato
I'd be fine with them just binning FFXV and just putting everyone on this instead.
Does anyone care about FFXV at all? I don't follow gaming much these days but just don't seem to hear any hype, buzz or even a negative comments about it - it's just like nobody gives a crap that it even exists or is in the works at this point

Soldato
I'm in the camp that wants a faithful remake. Beef up the gfx, sound, cgi etc, but leave as is. The again - FF7 was always a poor man's FF6, so who really cares? :D

Back
Top Bottom