One Undershaft

Caporegime
That sounds pretty unusual for working from home. Most jobs that involve working from home require you to do your job but I have never known "workspaces" to be monitored.

That said, I don't think I would want to work from home on a full time basis myself, I would miss the social contact. I work from home one day a week usually.

Yep, sounds like they don't trust their employees to get on with the work at home.

I work from home 4 days a week currently and don't have any kind of monitoring, surely they should know if you're doing the work by whether it comes in on time or not?

Caporegime
I wonder, realistically, what percentage of jobs could actually be done from home?

Probably not that many really, especially when you consider not that many people would actually be self disciplined enough to do it.

(Also, I met a "Home worker" once. It seems that it is actually a sort of house arrest, I am not sure how it was monitored but she was only allowed away from her "Workspace" for so many minutes/hour. That + being "Home Alone" made it seem to me to be akin to being condemned to the 9th circle of Hell! I cant imagine why it doesn't catch on! :p )

if you're on some sort of office communicator and aren't able to respond reasonably promptly when someone asks you something or if it is continually showing a yellow dot instead of a greed dot next to your name then people might ask questions

trick is to keep the sound up on your laptop so it beeps if someone messages you and touch the track pad every few minutes or so when you sit down to watch a DVD/play GTA/hit snooze again to get rid of the hangover...

you can also just whack a message up there saying 'out to lunch' for a good hour or so if not slightly longer and take it offline

Soldato
I really like the idea of having an open atrium at the bottom, but other than that it just looks very 'meh' to me... maybe it would look different in real life but notwithstanding the architect's comments it looks like a fairly ordinary glass tower to me...

My favourite building in London is definitely the Lloyds building - it's just so interesting and distinctive.

That said, I don't think I would want to work from home on a full time basis myself, I would miss the social contact. I work from home one day a week usually.

Likewise, I wouldn't want to work from home all the time - going into the office gives me a change of scene, makes it much easier to build up a rapport with co-workers and makes communication much easier. Maybe it would be different if I had a family at home, but living on my own I don't think I'd like working at home and not seeing anyone else all day.

Caporegime
It's a better name than the official name of Heron Tower.

Edit: I see they gave up on trying to call it the Salesforce Tower. All is right in the world again.

Soldato
Likewise, I wouldn't want to work from home all the time - going into the office gives me a change of scene, makes it much easier to build up a rapport with co-workers and makes communication much easier. Maybe it would be different if I had a family at home, but living on my own I don't think I'd like working at home and not seeing anyone else all day.

Actually, I do have a family, which makes working from home especially hard :D. If the kids (boys aged 3 and 6) know I'm home then they want to see me and don't understand the concept that daddy might have to actually do a bit of work! I generally hide away upstairs in the office but they aren't silly and soon realise.

On Wednesday they go to grandparents so it makes it the best day for me to work from home.

Back
Top Bottom