What watch do you wear?

Associate
The Rep is a deepsea from AliExpress, bought it to try the size/weight, and didn't like it too much in the end; it is pretty spectacularly made tho, and if it had better AR it'd be quite a good copy I think. I'm not sure /that/ bracelet would fit the Steiny tho, I'll have a try later... who knows...

Here's the Premium Blue. It's very, very impressive -- the Lume is as strong as the Omega -- but the Omega is bicolor, for extra bling :)

(snip)

Stunning. :) Loving the sunburst effect on the dial. I guess you could always relume the hands or hour indicators a different colour if you wanted to make it extra special. I'm sorely tempted by one, but I think I need something different from a diver first.

Associate
Stunning. :) Loving the sunburst effect on the dial. I guess you could always relume the hands or hour indicators a different colour if you wanted to make it extra special. I'm sorely tempted by one, but I think I need something different from a diver first.

Yeah the blue also changes color with the light. It goes from bright to deep turquoise depending on the light.

This one also has the display back.

One thing I noticed is that it has something like 40h power reserve. it's not a lot, especially if you rotate several watches.

Still very happy with it. Been eying the Bronze Marine Chronograph at Steiney, but, it's quite a bit more expensive and I'm not totally sure I'd like it..

Associate
Is it the ETA 2824-2 still in there? I think my O1 is 40 hours too. Not the longest but I don't really find it to be a problem. I do like the display back. I wonder if they would sell one separately...

Associate
Is it the ETA 2824-2 still in there? I think my O1 is 40 hours too. Not the longest but I don't really find it to be a problem. I do like the display back. I wonder if they would sell one separately...

Nope they use a "Soprod A10 Swiss Made" -- apparently it's an effort to move away from the ETA movements, as they won't be able to source them in a little while, from what I've read...

They are very similar, from what I've read.

Soldato
Quite whether it's worth more than a Steinhart, I'm not so sure.

The 1545 is actually the entry level of Squale, they are really nice though, I like them more than Steinhart's not because they are better quality, they are really comparable, but because of the size of the 1545, it's 40mm with nicely curved down lugs and has a 20mm lug to lug width, making it a much nicer fit for me than the 42mm, relatively straight lugged Steinhart with the 22mm untapered bracelet ...making the clasp a bit of a beast on those.

They are very much equal in terms of quality though in my opinion. Although I do think the Squale has a slightly better quality bracelet, the clasp specifically.

Man of Honour
The 1545 is actually the entry level of Squale, they are really nice though, I like them more than Steinhart's not because they are better quality, they are really comparable, but because of the size of the 1545, it's 40mm with nicely curved down lugs and has a 20mm lug to lug width, making it a much nicer fit for me than the 42mm, relatively straight lugged Steinhart with the 22mm untapered bracelet ...making the clasp a bit of a beast on those.

They are very much equal in terms of quality though in my opinion. Although I do think the Squale has a slightly better quality bracelet, the clasp specifically.

Thanks, this makes it even harder to decide! :p I like the Steinhart range but I feel the 1.5x cyclops on some of the watches lets them down a bit, but in honesty it's not a big problem.

Have you compared either of them to the Christopher Ward Trident watches?

Associate
Just received my second Amphibia, a 090 wich I've modified slightly:

347fj3s.jpg

jgh21g.jpg

2lclk08.jpg

Soldato
Thanks, this makes it even harder to decide! :p I like the Steinhart range but I feel the 1.5x cyclops on some of the watches lets them down a bit, but in honesty it's not a big problem.

Have you compared either of them to the Christopher Ward Trident watches?

No I have never had a Christopher Ward, the Trident 600 is much more expensive than these two now, 3 times the price of the Steinhart.

Soldato
Wondering if anyone can make a recommendation? I'm looking for a watch for my wife for Christmas. She has a Longines Dolce Vita which I bought her about 7 or 8 years ago. She wants a less dressy watch, and likes the style of the Olivia Burton ones, i.e. large round face and fairly minimal. http://www.oliviaburton.com/big-dial-c5

So I'm looking to buy a quality watch in that sort of style but struggling to find much. The Raymond Weil Toccata is the closest I've found, and so just wondered if you guys could recommend anything?

Soldato
My wife wanted to buy me the PAM I wanted for my birthday last week, but I told her not to as I spent too much on the business, so didn't think it would be right now, put off until next year. But in the meantime, she made me this:

12276816_1712889968944862_512010898_n.jpg

Bless her.

Associate
After a lot of looking around I decided that I wanted a Speedmaster, after a bit of time common sense kicked in and I though that I shouldn't stretch my budget quite that far on my first luxury watch

Instead I think I'll go for a Tag, I like this model:

http://www.goldsmiths.co.uk/TAG-Heuer-F1-Mens-Watch/p/17381069/

But I do quite fancy an automatic, which got me looking at this:

http://www.goldsmiths.co.uk/TAG-Heuer-Formula-1-Mens-Watch/p/17380923/

Is it worth the extra 700 for the Cailbre 16 movement? I do like the way the second hand doesn't tick and has a smooth movement

Soldato
After a lot of looking around I decided that I wanted a Speedmaster, after a bit of time common sense kicked in and I though that I shouldn't stretch my budget quite that far on my first luxury watch

If you can stretch to £2,250 for a Tag, you might as well save up a bit more and get a Speedmaster. I got my Speedmaster from Iconicwatches for £2,450 but prices have gone up slightly to £2,580.

Buying a Tag to scratch you Speedmaster itch wouldn't work. You'll still be lusting after a Speedmaster even when you get your Tag and they don't hold their value that well.

Associate
If you can stretch to £2,250 for a Tag, you might as well save up a bit more and get a Speedmaster. I got my Speedmaster from Iconicwatches for £2,450 but prices have gone up slightly to £2,580.

Buying a Tag to scratch you Speedmaster itch wouldn't work. You'll still be lusting after a Speedmaster even when you get your Tag and they don't hold their value that well.

I think the Speedmaster is going to have to wait for a few years, I can't really justify that spend right now and I'm happy to wait

I initially wanted a Tag until I started looking a speedys and to be honest 2250 is pushing the boundaries of what I should spend anyway

I'm not massively concerned with it holding value, I'm not buying it as an investment as such

Soldato
surely it'd be better to wait a month or two and save the extra £250 and get what you actually wanted ?? rather than spending £2250 now and then £3000k in a few years (as the prices always go that way)...

Back
Top Bottom