*** OnePlus 2 ***

Caporegime
I've got 2 shareable invites for the OnePlus2 if anyone wants them:

GL0A-1787-D3A9-012E
GL24-7749-EC5E-5A14

Let me know if you use it.

Last edited:
Associate
3 codes if anyone doesn't want to wait 2 weeks for the open house ;)

GL4D-3FC5-89C8-D546
GLC2-6F99-D3F2-6619
GLBC-D144-FE59-E562

Just let people know if you take one

Soldato
Does anyone have a OP2 that's not A2003? I just noticed on my A2003 OP2, in PPSSPP under Settings -> Tools -> System Information it states the ABI as armeabi-v7a, but on my Nvidia Shield TV it states arm64. Geekbench 3 also apparently detects the A2003 as 32 bit but the A2005 as 64 bit.

Soldato
Only thing worth doing custom wise is the kernel, custom ROMs don't have FP support/OIS due to lack of drivers.

AK kernel is pretty decent, allows all 4 high performance cores to run and has been optimised enough to provide better battery life compared to stock.

Associate
Only thing worth doing custom wise is the kernel, custom ROMs don't have FP support/OIS due to lack of drivers.

AK kernel is pretty decent, allows all 4 high performance cores to run and has been optimised enough to provide better battery life compared to stock.

Hmm no IOS. I'll just wait a while till there's more to play about with and customise.

How many hours battery time?

Soldato
Whoops, OIS is fine, it's laser focus drivers that are missing, slightly got them mixed up :p.

Looking on the AK development thread on average it seems to be an extra hour, but it heavily depends on your usage patterns of course.

Soldato
AT Review - not read it fully yet but it says the A57 cores are hardly used and the screen calibration is way out

http://www.anandtech.com/show/9828/the-oneplus-2-review

Mostly due to OP's poor software. I think them trying to clamp down on the SD810's "overheating" via software methods severely affected the overall performance. Hardware wise it's a great phone, but the lack of proper software optimisations really lets it down.

Soldato
Mostly due to OP's poor software. I think them trying to clamp down on the SD810's "overheating" via software methods severely affected the overall performance. Hardware wise it's a great phone, but the lack of proper software optimisations really lets it down.

How well do you find it runs day to day? That's what really matters I guess. And what are your views on the screen.

SD810 was just never meant for 20nm.

Soldato
How well do you find it runs day to day? That's what really matters I guess. And what are your views on the screen.

SD810 was just never meant for 20nm.

For normal every day use such as browsing, social apps, camera, etc it's completely fine, no signs of slowdowns or anything. Although I am using a different browser from Chrome which seems to allow it to use the high performance cores. Battery life I'm averaging on 4/5 on-screen time, would be nice if it was a bit more.

For most games performance is completely fine, the Adreno 430 is not trottled or anything and is allowed to run on maximum performance. However, I have noticed in more CPU dependant games, after a while you can notice a hit in FPS (Lara Croft GO on max settings feels like 20 FPS, while the lowest feels more fluid). Either way, the A53 cores actually outperformed the Krait 300 cores in my old M7 which surprised me.

Another thing I noticed is for some reason, apps that can take advantage of 64-bit SoCs detects the UK/EU/Asia version of the OP2 as 32-bit (Such as PPSSPP). Checking with an ABI checker the phone correctly reports it supporting arm64, and even reports the same thing as the US version (which gets correctly recognised as 64-bit), so these apps aren't taking full advantage of the phone (unless they have a standalone 64-bit APK).

The screen I have to admit especially on lower brightness, the colours do look a little washed out. They added a colour balance and while I do see a difference all it does is either makes the screen more blue or more yellow, and the results seems to heavily vary with each panel looking on the OP2 forum. But on around ~20% brightness (which I've settled on), the colours are fine. It could do with a little more punch, but it's bareable.

Yes, the phone does get hot, but only the top part of the metal rim, which my hand hardly ever touches. And even then it was not as hot as my M7.

I did play around with AK kernel for a bit, and yes, it actually does solve a lot of these problems. All 4 A57 cores are allowed to run at the same, and it significantly improves performance where it matches other SD810 phones, temperature wise it doesn't even feel that different from stock. There's even KCAL support which significantly improves the screen colour accuracy with the right settings. I moved back to stock however as I wanted the easy OTAs, AK kernel was a bit of a pain to reflash every time a new OTA popped up. However, it does show with the right software, this phone can perform a lot better.

Last edited:
Soldato
... After using it for a couple of months, probably not :p. For the price it's great, but if you're after a proper flagship and willing to spend more, the Nexus 6P/5X, Z5 or maybe even the Priv would be better.

Back
Top Bottom