Looking for a good way to get into Flight/space games...

Associate
I love cars, planes, space that sort of thing, I love racing games, and used to own a Logitech G27 but got rid of it as i barely ever used it due to Counter Strike taking over the vast majority of my time...
The G27 seemed really expensive for how little I used it, so i sold it for a tad more than I bought it, as they are seemingly rare now! but I love the look of Elite Dangerous and Star Citizen, both of which I think look really cool, and there is the fully fledged Plane simulators which would be really cool to get involved in, like FSX etc.
I just don't know where to start, what to buy and how to get into it all...
What I am sort of asking, is what do yous think, would be a good idea for me?

I dont have any sort of HOTAS or anything, but i have a fair few controllers and the specs in my sig are getting a fairly big upgrade at christmas, with a 5820k, mobo, 16gb ram and a case to start with.

Just some ideas would be amazing, as it has really interested me for a while to get into these games, but ive never really known what will be good for me to get into.

Cheers!

Just as a quick FYI, I dont really play CS anymore, so thats not really going to be in the way anymore!

Associate
Recently bough the Thrustmaster Flight-X HOTAS. It is probably the best entry-level HOTAS for only 30 pounds or so and should give you a good experience, a good starting point in stuff like Elite.

Associate
Well I bought Elite during the recent sale and was using a Steam Controller but decided I wanted to improve my experience so I went and bought the HOTAS I mentioned.
It is great for its price and I have practically every binding in the game on my HOTAS which is really handy.

Couple a HOTAS with some head tracking (does not have to be trackir, buy a EdTracker, Delanclip + PS3 camera or build your own solution) and you have a much improved experience for flight/space sims.

Soldato
Recently bough the Thrustmaster Flight-X HOTAS. It is probably the best entry-level HOTAS for only 30 pounds or so and should give you a good experience, a good starting point in stuff like Elite.

I used this for elite and it's great. Didn't feel like it was missing anything at all once I found a good configuration online. Really great game, although after many many hours I felt the grind taking its toll. Not before getting a nice kitted out python though! I keep meaning to reinstall it actually.

Associate
OP
I used this for elite and it's great. Didn't feel like it was missing anything at all once I found a good configuration online. Really great game, although after many many hours I felt the grind taking its toll. Not before getting a nice kitted out python though! I keep meaning to reinstall it actually.

Just a question for everyone, do yous just play by yourselves or join a group or can yous talk in game?

Soldato
Just a question for everyone, do yous just play by yourselves or join a group or can yous talk in game?

Im part of a group called 'Contrail' we talk on teamspeak, fight other groups, grind, these people are minted too! Like billions in the bank with loads of ships. It's a good laugh going into battle with them.

If you get it, let me know and i'll show you some good trade route to get money etc.

Associate
OP
Im part of a group called 'Contrail' we talk on teamspeak, fight other groups, grind, these people are minted too! Like billions in the bank with loads of ships. It's a good laugh going into battle with them.

If you get it, let me know and i'll show you some good trade route to get money etc.

Shall do mate!
What do you reckon is a good starter HOTAS for me? I could look on the bay and see if there is any good deals... I see that Thrustmaster that these lads recommended? That is looking to be my best bet? How do yous attach it to your desks?

Soldato
Yep, Hotas X is the way to go, for £30 you can't beat it. No, it just sits on my desk, it's not that violent that it moves around. It's got little rubber feet that stop it from moving.

I paid £15 for mine on the bay!

Associate
OP
Yep, Hotas X is the way to go, for £30 you can't beat it. No, it just sits on my desk, it's not that violent that it moves around. It's got little rubber feet that stop it from moving.

I paid £15 for mine on the bay!

Seems as per usual, idiots are buying stupidly overpriced on there and there is one for £25 inc delivery on bids ending tomorrow, where as i can go online and get a brand new one for £32 delivered...

Soldato

Best in a wing. Makes it safer as well. Nothing worse than pirates getting you, but if you are a full wing then you can have help arrive quickly to save your ship.

Associate
A group of up to four players in Elite.
By the way I forgot to mention if you are getting the Thrustmaster HOTAS you can probably pick it up in a nearby Argos rather than ordering and waiting for it!

Back
Top Bottom