Audi owners in here!

Associate
Had a A1 1.6 Diesel with S-Tronic while mine went in for a Multitronic oil service. 2015 with 5k on the clock.

Box takes a bit of getting used to especially when pulling away. Auto stop start is rediculous. Its simple too slow and I ended up turning it off a lot or holding the brake lightly enough so it didn't kick in. Once moving the box and engine is fine. Felt very detached from the car though. Shifts were smooth and fairly quick. But it wasn't as responsive as I expected.

It was non s line but the ride was rediculously hard. Seats were not comfy. Ended up asking them to hurry up with my car. Not sure why anyone would pay £20k for one of them.

Overall, a nice enough car but crazy money and not suited for me. I can get why some rich city dweller who believes crazy diesel MPGz would buy one though.

Soldato
Thoughts on the 3.0 diesel A8 2011? My dad is considering one, and has ruled out the 7 series and XJ as they aren't 4wd. He liked the 4.2 but wants 40 mpg average I think. I told him to get winter tyres on the XJ instead of having to have 4wd but he isn't budging :( What would be you opinion on a premium saloon thats 5 yearsold tops with less than 60k on the clock? Budget about £25k

Associate
Thoughts on the 3.0 diesel A8 2011? My dad is considering one, and has ruled out the 7 series and XJ as they aren't 4wd. He liked the 4.2 but wants 40 mpg average I think. I told him to get winter tyres on the XJ instead of having to have 4wd but he isn't budging :( What would be you opinion on a premium saloon thats 5 yearsold tops with less than 60k on the clock? Budget about £25k

He's concerned about MPG and he's buying a A8..

Man of Honour
He's concerned about MPG and he's buying a A8..

I don't get these posts. They appear all the time, but I still don't get them.

Fuel is part of the TCO. It's part of what drives the costs of that particular car. Why would you ignore fuel costs when picking a car? It's nonsense.

That doesn't mean you base your purchase on the fact car A does 41mpg but Car B only does 38mpg so you cant have it, and it isn't the same as insisting it has £30 road tax, but only an idiot pays zero regard for fuel consumption on a car thats used for any meaningful amount of miles.

If nothing else one of the key points in a car like this is long distance driving and for that a strong fuel range is a useful feature.

Soldato
May as well get a higher trim Vauxhall, Honda, Toyota etc as a low trim A3 is quite horrible to the point it's not really worth the expense on the badge.

But this is the Audi thread, I'd rather have an A3 Sport than an A1 Black Edition. A small, short wheel based car with 18" alloys and low suspension sounds terrible.

Yeah, you'll get more for you money getting a Vauxhall but this is an Audi thread.

Associate
[TW]Fox;28952284 said:
I don't get these posts. They appear all the time, but I still don't get them.

Fuel is part of the TCO. It's part of what drives the costs of that particular car. Why would you ignore fuel costs when picking a car? It's nonsense.

That doesn't mean you base your purchase on the fact car A does 41mpg but Car B only does 38mpg so you cant have it, and it isn't the same as insisting it has £30 road tax, but only an idiot pays zero regard for fuel consumption on a car thats used for any meaningful amount of miles.

If nothing else one of the key points in a car like this is long distance driving and for that a strong fuel range is a useful feature.

To be so concerned about fuel economy that you sacrifice a petrol for a diesel in a luxury car seems absurd. Unless the OP is doing mega miles in which case, why care about MPG when the car value will drop like a stone when he puts miles on it anyway. Its a lose lose situation.

If he gets a petrol and does low milage the MPG concern is invalid.

If he gets a petrol and does high milage the MPG concern is valid but then get the diesel.

But then if he gets the diesel and he's doing high miles the car is going to lose value fast so MPG isn't the biggest concern.

And if he gets diesel and low milage its pointless him getting it (as I'm sure you know the reasons for)

The only way I can see out of that is to sell the car fairly quick. Still going to lose money though.

Essentially if you can afford a luxury car then MPG shouldn't be a great concern. Its gonna lose money badly either way, you should be able to stomach the costs and afford that image/lifestyle.

Maybe I'm just poor and hate losing money a lot more then others. Though I'm sure someone will tell me my opinion is wrong. Its motors after all.

That or my perception of depreciation is madly wrong.

Man of Honour
To be so concerned about fuel economy that you sacrifice a petrol for a diesel in a luxury car seems absurd.

It might seem 'absurd' but have a look at the executive car market. This is probably the most diesel focused market in the entire car market. Virtually every single car in this class is diesel. In some model ranges, a petrol is not even offered.

Excluding the S8 Audi do not even offer a petrol engine in the currently available to order Audi A8. There are two engines - both diesel.

Unless the OP is doing mega miles in which case, why care about MPG when the car value will drop like a stone when he puts miles on it anyway. Its a lose lose situation.

Because as I explained above, and you ignored, it forms part of the TCO of the car whether you like it or not.

And if he gets diesel and low milage its pointless him getting it (as I'm sure you know the reasons for)

It's 'pointless'? Why is it 'pointless'? What do you suggest he buys instead if he wants an A8?

For sale right now in his budget there are 117 diesel A8's and 2 petrol A8's. If he wants one that isn't above average mileage, there are none. No petrol ones at all.

Tell me again why its POINTLESS to buy the diesel? He has no choice whether he wants it or not.

Last edited:
Soldato
Needing some advice

I've been on the hunt for a tidy 1.8t A4 Avant for some time now. My budget is low ~£3k, so not many pop up that often.

Today this dropped into my saved AT search inbox. It looks relatively tidy, but is a n/a 2.0 engine. And the guy seems to think he owns a blue car too!

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201512179527086

Should I hold out for a 1.8, from what I've read it's the stronger engine, plus I love the dual exhaust.

Soldato
Maybe he was referring to the colour of the leather being blue?

Anyway, don't do it. I have seen a few around your budget, albeit not too often as you say. But that is one of the most pointless engines for these cars. In fact, anything that isn't the 1.8T or 1.9 TDI (130) is pointless. I would instantly disregard any B6 A4 that didn't have either of those engines.

Jez

Jez

Caporegime
I wouldn't personally buy that car. It wont be a good one.

Look at the photo with the door shut showing btw, the car is blue.

Soldato
To be so concerned about fuel economy that you sacrifice a petrol for a diesel in a luxury car seems absurd. Unless the OP is doing mega miles in which case, why care about MPG when the car value will drop like a stone when he puts miles on it anyway. Its a lose lose situation.
But then if he gets the diesel and he's doing high miles the car is going to lose value fast so MPG isn't the biggest concern.
Essentially if you can afford a luxury car then MPG shouldn't be a great concern. Its gonna lose money badly either way, you should be able to stomach the costs and afford that image/lifestyle.
You have a very bizarre view on running cars.

I currently run one of the new style A6s and seriously considered the A8 as an alternative. For me it is about getting the best car I can within the total cost of ownership I am prepared to pay, and MPG is a big part of this. It's not a case of affording the image/lifestyle it's about getting the best car I can within a limit I set myself. It amazes me when I speak to people at work who are suprised by what I am driving round in only to find out they are paying almost as much TCO to PCP a Ford Focus.

To put in perspective I have lost £9k in depreciation on my current A6 in 2 years and 4 months but have put nearly £8,000 worth of fuel in the car in that same period. A 5 mpg difference (40 v 45) makes just shy of a £1000 difference in the cost of ownership in that period. Just because my TCO is high you seem to suggest that I shouldn't be concerned with the running costs and just stomach it?

Whilst depreciation is going to be the largest part of the TCO for me, fuel is still a significant factor and whether I am spending £200 or £600 a month to run a car I am always going to run all of the numbers and get the best car I can for that budget.

Soldato
Question:

Saw a cracking deal on the bay for 8 OEM RS4 coil packs, couldnt resist, thought if i cant use them, i'll just give them away or sell them on. If i can get use, ill have 4 spare!

I'll check the part numbers for compatability when they arive but..any immediate concerns?

They are for the B8 turbocharged RS4, i've got a b8 turbocharged 4 pot.

Thinking all good, RS4 is probably just the title used by the seller.

Back
Top Bottom