Manual

Soldato
Oh dear god no, not this again.

it was only a matter of time before that debate broke out again :p

Quoted from VW

The DSG dual-clutch gearbox, available in 6-speed and 7-speed versions, is unlike a conventional automatic transmission. Two independent gearboxes are connected under load to the engine in turn, depending on the current gear, via two drive shafts. An output shaft assigned to each gearbox applies the torque to the driven wheels via the differential gear. Clutches and gearboxes are operated hydraulically by the gearbox mechatronics (a combination of mechanics and electronics). The electronic transmission control unit, sensors and hydraulic control unit form one compact unit. The control unit uses information such as engine speed, road speed, accelerator position and driving mode to select the optimum gear and to determine the ideal shift point. The control unit then implements the shift commands in a sequence of precisely co-ordinated actions. Each change takes less than four-hundredths of a second. DSG can be used manually, via the Tiptronic gearlever or the optional paddle shifts.

In simple terms, a DSG is two separate manual gearboxes (and clutches), contained within one housing, and working as one unit.

The longer Wiki read is here :p
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Direct-shift_gearbox

Last edited:
Associate
It appears a can of worms has been opened :D

So my race car has an automatic gearbox, ok then I'll take that, hehe

I'm stubborn and won't be told but it's pretty simple as I see it. If it has a torque converter (sometimes accompanied by a lock-up clutch) it's an auto. If it has a clutch, it's a manual.

The user is controlling the activation of the clutch, therefore it's a manual. Just because there is a mode where an ECU controls the clutch does not make it an auto.

Flames are incoming, I feel the roasting, but DCT boxes have far more similarities to manual internals than auto's. So, I'm calling it a manual, so nah :cool:

Associate
Of course it is. It's a gearbox that changes automatically, so it's an automatic gearbox.

No, it's not a traditional torque converter driven autobox but it's still an automatic!

Well, I disagree.

As I see it, what differentiates between an automatic box and a manual box is how the internal workings of the gearbox provide drive from the engine to the output shaft.

An automatic box uses a torque converter a manual transmission uses a clutch.

Associate
Well, I disagree.

As I see it, what differentiates between an automatic box and a manual box is how the internal workings of the gearbox provide drive from the engine to the output shaft.

An automatic box uses a torque converter a manual transmission uses a clutch.

The DVLA along with pretty much all car manufacturers disagree with you.

Soldato
Bloody hell.

You put it in 'D' and press the accelerator, and it accelerates and changes gear for you. Automatically. It's an automatic gearbox. It doesn't matter if the gear changes are facilitated by one clutch, or two clutches, or six clutches, or a torque converter, or a small army of ferrets. It's an automatic gearbox.

We all know that a DCT box isn't anything like a 'conventional' torque converter auto internally. But it's still an automatic gearbox.

I'm not sure what part of the words "automatic" and "manual" people are failing to understand.

Last edited:
Soldato
Bloody hell.

You put it in 'D' and press the accelerator, and it accelerates and changes gear for you. Automatically. It's an automatic gearbox. It doesn't matter if the gear changes are facilitated by one clutch, or two clutches, or six clutches, or a torque converter, or a small army of ferrets. It's an automatic gearbox.

We all know that a DCT box isn't anything like a 'conventional' torque converter auto internally. But it's still an automatic gearbox.

I'm not sure what part of the words "automatic" and "manual" people are failing to understand.

Yeah, but your car (as you mentioned) has the option to choose gears yourself, i.e. manually. By your logic, yours is technically a manual.

Just because the DSG has an automatic option, doesn't by default make it an auto.

Soldato
Or, you put in 'M ' and press the accelerator and flip the paddle, and it accelerates and changes gear for you. Manually :p

Yeah, but your car (as you mentioned) has the option to choose gears yourself, i.e. manually. By your logic, yours is technically a manual.

Pretty much every modern torque converter-based automatic has this functionality, too. So your logic is flawed there I'm afraid!

Soldato
I can understand the trend of car manufacturers replacing manual gearboxes with an automatic/semi-automatic transmission in everyday cars used for commuting (e.g. VW Golf) however I don't understand why they're doing so in high performance cars (e.g. GT3, Audi RS, BMW M etc).

Isn't driving pleasure the essence of a majority of high performance cars, I understand that some cars such as the GT-R are more suited to a dual clutch transmission but that aside I'm almost certain that you'll have more fun on the road in a manual performance car than an automatic especially around legal(ish) speeds.

Soldato

Just because the DSG has an automatic option, doesn't by default make it an auto.
Do you have to manually disengage the clutch using a pedal, manually select the next gear using a lever connected to the gear box before manually engaging the clutch? Or are you simply provoking the computer into doing all of these things on your behalf automatically?

Why do people bother to argue these things? Is it a pride thing of not wanting to be lumped in with rubbish slush boxes?

Soldato
Pretty much every modern torque converter-based automatic has this functionality, too. So your logic is flawed there I'm afraid!
Pretty much every modern dual clutch based manual gearbox has auto functionality, too. So you logic of 'it must be auto' is flawed too :)

Soldato
Do you have to manually disengage the clutch using a pedal, manually select the next gear using a lever connected to the gear box before manually engaging the clutch? Or are you simply provoking the computer into doing all of these things on your behalf automatically?
Manual sequential gearboxes don't have manual clutches, required to change gear - are they auto too ? :p (The clutch would normally be used only for standing starts.)

Last edited:
Soldato

I was simply stating that you said the DSG is an auto due to the auto option it has, and that similarly it's as nonsensical as saying any car with the ability to change gears yourself "might as well be called a manual" (conventional auto or otherwise).

My logic was flawed because I drew the comparison to yours being equally so.

Back
Top Bottom