** Star Wars Episode VII - SPOILERS WITHIN **

Soldato
Whilst what you say IS accurate... He was powerful enough to stop blaster fire in midair at the same time as paralysing Poe at same time. Feats we haven't seen from the most powerful Jedi Masters or Sith Lords!

They may be the only tricks he's "mastered" as he is weak in other areas and this is good enough as so far he has been un-opposed. When he comes up against others strong in the force these tricks will be useless.

Soldato
I'm sure Han said Ben to Leia too, after Kylo knocks out Rey and carries her off.

Also, nobody else is bothered about R2 just waking up with the map? Really? That was so random and silly... that was the only thing that annoyed me about it.

As for it being like a re-hash of episode 4, it definitely was but I didn't mind so much. To me, it was a 'let's exhaust the old stuff so we can on with the new in the next film'. There were some bits that were unnecessary references like going back through the trench in the x-wings. But it didn't spoil it for me... but very close for knocking points off.

The only way it could have been better was to have a different plot tbh. In terms of execution though, absolutely flawless.

Final thought... the mention of Kylo being Luke's son. That sounds like total nonsense... until you think about there being a second 'I AM UR FATHER' moment. Oooo twist central - mass ironing everywhere.

It was time for Luke to be found, a new Jedi needs training. So I'd say it was Luke using the force to bring R2 back online to reveal the map needed to find him. I suppose he could have just rocked up when ready, but the whole film was built around this map. He could have easily just moved on if he didn't want to be found. R2 only activated once Rey was there.

That was my take on it anyway

Soldato
They may be the only tricks he's "mastered" as he is weak in other areas and this is good enough as so far he has been un-opposed. When he comes up against others strong in the force these tricks will be useless.

^^Exactly. Plus at that stage in the film, he was compromised both physically and arguably mentally. Also there are plenty of Jedi that are good at one thing but not at others.

And with regards to his Lightsaber skills. Sure, he may have had training from Luke but Luke isn't the type to teach his students fighting skills. He'd have likely taught him about the philosophical aspect of the force, not how to master the use of the Lightsaber. The fact that Kylo Ren's lightsaber wasn't perfect suggests that.

Rey's skills with the Lightsaber weren't surprising given the staff was her weapon of choice. Finn's skills with it on the other hand I didn't quite understand.

My biggest gripe with the film was the Starkiller weapon. I understand with these films, you tend to have to throw Physics out of the window, but how do you explain something the size of a planet harvesting the energy of an entire star...

Overall, I think it was a solid film. It has the simplicity of the original trilogy. Episodes I-III confused the hell out of me when I watched them as a kid trying to figure out all the talks of trade federations and what not. The only thing that spoilt it was some noob posted a spoiler on the comments section of a totally unrelated YouTube video I was watching. That said, the spoiler was somewhat predictable but it had me thinking about it before it actually happened rather than be totally surprised by it...

Caporegime
Just literally came out of the cinema 10 mins ago.

I think it is best best Star Wars movie, period.

First, we can write off the prequels...they are just bad.

The last 3 days I have watched 4, 5 & 6 everyday and this evening before I went to see VII I watched VI first so they are all very fresh in my mind. Long story short, I thought 4 (in modern standard) is a very average movie, Empire is a much better film, Jedi's entire plot revolves around destroying another Death Star, with the really slow section with the Ework half way through.

Force Awaken however takes the best of them and put it together, bit of Luke's journey, bit of the I am your father thing but twisted it backwards so now the son has gone bad. It all kinda work together, all held together by strong characters, especially in Daisy Ridley playing Rey. She nailed it. From the moment we see her I like her. Harrison Ford is also really good returning as Solo, I always think he is the best character/actor in the original too.

Yes, there are plot holes and the biggest one is how Rey becomes part Jedi master in the space of a few minutes. But I am willing to suspense the disbelief of that because I enjoyed the movie an awful lot. By giving that little bit a pass, everything else works for me and I am happy about that.

When the moment the LucasArts logo came up to the scrolling text intro, I had a smile on my face and just a great Star Wars movie, the best Star Wars movie. This totally expanded the Star Wars universe larger than it already is.

I am going to go see it again I think before the holiday ends.

Soldato
Just got back from Showcase in Leeds, got the the most expensive screening you can get, dunno what you call it. Imax 3D 360 surround sound electric recliner thingy ma bob...

All i can say is ....................

GET ME A NEW SET OF PANTS!!!!!

Its proper spectacular the 3d stuff when in POV mode with the X-Wings. Could actually watch it again tomorrow..

Last edited:
Caporegime

The last 3 days I have watched 4, 5 & 6 everyday and this evening before I went to see VII I watched VI first so they are all very fresh in my mind. Long story short, I thought 4 (in modern standard) is a very average movie, Empire is a much better film, Jedi's entire plot revolves around destroying another Death Star, with the really slow section with the Ework half way through.

Force Awaken however takes the best of them and put it together, bit of Luke's journey, bit of the I am your father thing but twisted it backwards so now the son has gone bad. It all kinda work together, all held together by strong characters, especially in Daisy Ridley playing Rey. She nailed it. From the moment we see her I like her. Harrison Ford is also really good returning as Solo, I always think he is the best character/actor in the original too.

Yes, there are plot holes and the biggest one is how Rey becomes part Jedi master in the space of a few minutes. But I am willing to suspense the disbelief of that because I enjoyed the movie an awful lot. By giving that little bit a pass, everything else works for me and I am happy about that.

When the moment the LucasArts logo came up to the scrolling text intro, I had a smile on my face and just a great Star Wars movie, the best Star Wars movie. This totally expanded the Star Wars universe larger than it already is.

Can't agree more. We could sit here and pick holes at things all day long. But I sat through that with a huge grin on my face. Not sure on the best, but that's probably due to growing up and constant re-watches of the originals.

Will probably see again this week :)

Soldato
Just saw it...

Loved the new characters and the chemistry. Loved the writing. Loved the look of it.

Thought the soundtrack was forgettable and lacking a distinctive theme.
Thought the superweapon was a bit throw-away.
Thought Phasma was a let down. I know we'll see her again, but she did absolutely nothing to show she's a bad-a$$.

Hated the stupid monsters that escaped on the freighter. What the F was that all about, JJ ? It certainly wasn't SW :(

Overall 8.5 / 10 from me. I would rank it 3rd behind ANH and ESB, slightly ahead of ROTJ. Not perfect, but a great start to the new era and enjoyed it immensely. Bring on the next decade \0/

Caporegime
Saw it again last night. Packed house 400 seats.
Deffo better the second time around.
Got to rethink some of the scenes and watch the fight scenes. I wish they had used more original sound effects. a lot are but not enough to satisfy me 100%.

I still think Snope is naff.

Associate
I saw it at imax last night..

Enjoyed the film, well executed and I like the new main character but I dislike the story, I wanted something new and exciting but it's basically a repeat of what we have already seen.

Caporegime
Just watched it again and feel a lot happier about what I felt were plot holes. They key one for me being:

I'm not spoiler tagging this:

I think rei adapted to the force so quickly because ren unlocked it when he was tinkering with her brain.
I'm more comfortable with ren as a flawed character lacking discipline, but he should still have used force effects on the final battle with rei

R.E.Y!!!

Last edited:
Permabanned
I am going to see it this afternoon, is the sound of the falcon the same as ESB/ROTJ? Love the sound of that ship when it takes off and flying around.

Man of Honour
I am going to see it this afternoon, is the sound of the falcon the same as ESB/ROTJ? Love the sound of that ship when it takes off and flying around.

Wait and see!

about R2 waking up, after watching it a second time it seemed to be that it was the presence of Rey nearby that caused it. Maybe it's the presence of Luke's sabre, which Rey is carrying, or maybe Rey herself... Maybe something else entirely, but it did come across that way on the second time around.

Also, doesn't matter how many people say they heard "Ben" being said before the confrontation on the weapon, it didn't happen :p.

Soldato
I don't know why but...

after Han died my mind was playing a Doom-esque first person scene with Chewy running and gunning everybody down. Obviously that would have been silly but I did think he got over Han's death a bit too quickly though.

Associate
I don't know why but...

after Han died my mind was playing a Doom-esque first person scene with Chewy running and gunning everybody down. Obviously that would have been silly but I did think he got over Han's death a bit too quickly though.

I kind of wanted to see some arm ripping if I'm honest.

All in all, I loved it. It is StarWars all over again and I cannot wait to see what is to come next.

Man of Honour
Was great watching the new cast on graham Norton last night. John boyega just seems to play himself, what a great guy. Daisy Ridley seems very uncomfortable, but it is refreshing seeing two new stars in the making that are not full of themselves.

I want to see the film again. The 3D flight scenes were insanely good.

OMG, when those x wings come in from over the water. Would be good to see the rest of the fleet now though? So many spine tingling moments.

Associate

Can't say I noticed a discernible difference - what I will say, in spoilers just in case, is that

once the ship is found it features a lot in the rest of the film and there are some truly awesome, beautiful sequences in TFA featuring everybody's favourite piece of junk :D

I don't know why but...

Agreed - given the years they'd been together, Chewy's rage at Han's death should have been made a lot more of, especially in light of how angry he got in ESB when Han was about to be carbon-freezed. Instead, all we got was a few roars, a bit of laser fire and later, an admittedly moving shot of the big guy with his head in his hands

Last edited:
Caporegime

Eh ?

Kyo

Kyo

Soldato
Agreed - given the years they'd been together, Chewy's rage at Han's death should have been made a lot more of, especially in light of how angry he got in ESB when Han was about to be carbon-freezed. Instead, all we got was a few roars, a bit of laser fire and later, an admittedly moving shot of the big guy with his head in his hands

yeah noticed that too, he went crazy for a second and then just forgot or went oh well, where is my sandwich:p. Thought at the very least he would give Leia a hug or something when he returned. He can't talk but had a lot more options to express himself, still enjoyed them all returning massively

Back
Top Bottom