NEST thermostats

Soldato
So now Nest supports hot water, anyone know if it will work with my system. No valves, gravity hot water, no tank thermistat and pumped central heating?
The current controller is broke we have to use the frost stat in the garage to turn the boiler on.

Soldato
Just be aware that the last software update broke a lot of the features of the thermostat (such as preheat) so it may not work as expected until they fix it.

Nest are pretty poor with releasing untested firmware which breaks things then taking weeks to acknowledge it and fix it. If I knew what I do now before purchasing I would have chosen a different device.

Fingers crossed but Nest have pushed an update to fix the issues with the Early On feature caused by the last update.

Version 5.1.5 - released December 10, 2015

For now, this software update is only available for European thermostats and a limited number of thermostats in the US and Canada. It will be made available to every Nest Thermostat in January 2016.

Early-On bug fixes
Improved compatibility for OpenTherm combi boilers
Connectivity bug fixes

Soldato
I ordered a nest and stand Friday. Looking forward to fitting it this week but I havent got internet for 2 weeks, will this be an issue? also do nest do weather compensation based on your weather forecast at your location?

Associate
Interesting change since I had my Nest installed...

Boiler/link are blow 2 5 amp fuses in the first morning, added another one after that and it stopped being an issue for about a week. Spoke to a sparky pal and he added a 13 amp as we talked...

Very, very strange.

Associate
Anyone had experience of Currys fitting the Nest? Having mine installed on Wednesday. Does the installer bring the kit? I ordered online but just have the installation date, but haven't received any equipment.

Now that it controls the hot water, I'm hoping the heat link will just replace the Drayton programmer I have on the utility wall, not keen on having extra trailing wires hanging around

Soldato
Mines in, it lost the connection to the heat link one night which was weird, had to reset everything to get it going again, seems to be ok now

Soldato
So I bought a Hive only to be told that they can't legally install it because of the way my boiler is. I've sent that back, I don't mind about water but i'd like better control of temperature so is it worth getting the Nest and just wiring that up?

Sent a picture of my current set up and they said it won't be compatible, wahhh!

Last edited:
Soldato
How do you know whether Nest is compatible or not with your boiler?

I have no thermostat at the moment - just a panel for my timer/heating settings next to the boiler.

I'm fairly literate when it comes to electric/wiring etc - tempted to consider a home install but is it a ballache when I don't already have a thermostat in the house?

Soldato
Anyone had experience of Currys fitting the Nest? Having mine installed on Wednesday. Does the installer bring the kit? I ordered online but just have the installation date, but haven't received any equipment.

Now that it controls the hot water, I'm hoping the heat link will just replace the Drayton programmer I have on the utility wall, not keen on having extra trailing wires hanging around

It won't actually be Currys', it'll be an engineer from a Google-approved company that they've partnered with. Best to ask Currys if you're supposed to have the kit already; I bought my Nest and booked the installation separately so I don't know.

Associate
How do you know whether Nest is compatible or not with your boiler?

I have no thermostat at the moment - just a panel for my timer/heating settings next to the boiler.

I'm fairly literate when it comes to electric/wiring etc - tempted to consider a home install but is it a ballache when I don't already have a thermostat in the house?

Can you find the installation/installer manual (PDF) for your boiler online somewhere?
The Nest is wireless but I still ran two core flex to it so that it looked neat on the wall otherwise you have a cable running from the Nest thermostat into a USB power adapter.

Soldato
It looks like you just need to wire 1 and 3 (page 24) on the boiler to erm 1 and 3 on the Nest. Get a second opinion though.

2 and 3 on the nest

top left of page 22

L & N on boiler goes to L & N on nest

(page 26)

3 on boiler goes to 2 on Nest
1 on boiler goes to 3 on Nest

Soldato
has anyone installed one of these completely flush on a wall without any cables sticking out the bottom?
On the wiring diagrams it seems to suggest you can take a power supply from an existing thermostat to power it? But surely I can just run a new supply from the boiler connections to achieve it?

Associate
has anyone installed one of these completely flush on a wall without any cables sticking out the bottom?
On the wiring diagrams it seems to suggest you can take a power supply from an existing thermostat to power it? But surely I can just run a new supply from the boiler connections to achieve it?

Yes I have mine flush mounted on the wall. Our previous thermostat was a battery powered wireless one. I just routed the cable from the heatlink to the wall just behind where the thermostat is, drilled through the wall and mounted the nest.

IMG_3773.jpg

Associate
Yeah I have it like that too. It goes through a brick wall into a bathroom which has a false wall for the power shower. From there it goes up into an above bathroom to where the boiler is.

I wanted it to look as neat as possible.

Back
Top Bottom