Poll: Poll: Did The Force Awakens live up to the hype?

Did The Force Awakens live up to the hype?

• Yes

Votes: 227 75.4%
  • No

Votes: 52 17.3%
  • Other - please post your thoughts

Votes: 22 7.3%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Soldato
I went to see this on opening night with few preconceptions and I don't think it lived up to the hype, in fact it failed to even be a good film.

There was too much exposition and catering for the lowest common denominator. How many times did they have to refer to Kylo Ren as Han's son just to spell it out to the audience? The action sequences were boring and sleep inducing. The ropey CGI for Maz was distracting. I expected Star Wars to feel like a sprawling universe however the scope of the film felt small and very green screeny. I don't know how they managed to fit so much in yet make it feel so empty and cardboard cutout.

I enjoyed Guardians of the Galaxy and even John Carter more than this film.

For context I haven't seen the original trilogy but did see the prequel trilogy when it came out. Many of the favourable comments I have read appear to be based on nostalgia but there is no way this film will stand the test of time.

Caporegime
For context I haven't seen the original trilogy but did see the prequel trilogy when it came out. Many of the favourable comments I have read appear to be based on nostalgia but there is no way this film will stand the test of time.

That's a problem right there, this film, although ep7 does introduce you to new characters, it also relies somewhat heavily on you knowing the background of 4-6. It relies on you knowing who Solo, Leia, Luke & Chewy, the people in the war room, the familiarity of the worlds (desert, snow), the jokes on 12 parsecs, the "garbage" reference to the Falcon, the importance of Luke, the little thing like the targeting screen for the gun in the Falcon, the relationship between Leia, Solo and Luke, the Death Star rehashing, and many many more.

I would say you just ruined the original trilogy for yourself by watching the prequel and now Ep7 first. The Father moment is certainly out the window, which is one of the biggest cinematic reveal in the history of cinema.

Last edited:
Soldato
I went to see this on opening night with few preconceptions and I don't think it lived up to the hype, in fact it failed to even be a good film.

There was too much exposition and catering for the lowest common denominator. How many times did they have to refer to Kylo Ren as Han's son just to spell it out to the audience? The action sequences were boring and sleep inducing. The ropey CGI for Maz was distracting. I expected Star Wars to feel like a sprawling universe however the scope of the film felt small and very green screeny. I don't know how they managed to fit so much in yet make it feel so empty and cardboard cutout.

I enjoyed Guardians of the Galaxy and even John Carter more than this film.

Nostalgia plays a strong part off it off course - but even without it its a good film in its own right, even critics like Mark Kermode who is not the worlds biggest Star Wars fan gave it a glowing review.

Soldato
That's a problem right there, this film, although ep7 does introduce you to new characters, it also relies somewhat heavily on you knowing the background of 4-6. It relies on you knowing who Solo, Leia, Luke Chewy, the people in the war room, the familiarity of the worlds (desert, snow), the jokes on 12 parsecs, the "garbage" reference to the Falcon, the importance of Luke, the little thing like the targeting screen for the gun in the Falcon, the relationship between Leia, Solo and Luke, the Death Star rehashing, and many many more.

I would say you just ruined the original trilogy for yourself by watching the prequel and now Ep7 first. The Father moment is certainly out the window, which is one of the biggest cinematic reveal in the history of cinema.

Its Star Wars though - even people who dont know Star Wars know who Han Solo, Princes Leia, Chewie, C3PO, R2D2, Luke and Vader are, you would have to have lived under a rock not to.

Caporegime
Its Star Wars though - even people who dont know Star Wars know who Han Solo, Princes Leia, Chewie, C3PO, R2D2, Luke and Vader are, you would have to have lived under a rock not to.

But without seeing 4-6, how would you know the Solo's cheeky comments to Leia from 4-6, the 12 Parsecs joke, the bit when Rey seemingly holding a Red 5 helmet, they all add an extra layer to ep7 which would be missing if you didn't see 4-6.

Caporegime
I disagree. I actually think not knowing much about 4-6 means you enjoy this film more. That way the plot is new to you and you don't notice the annoying replication of scenes and characterizations. That more than outweighs missing out on a few in jokes or easter eggs.

Knowing 4-6 well has reduced my enjoyment of 7 :p.

Caporegime
I disagree. I actually think not knowing much about 4-6 means you enjoy this film more. That way the plot is new to you and you don't notice the annoying replication of scenes and characterizations. That more than outweighs missing out on a few in jokes or easter eggs.

Knowing 4-6 well has reduced my enjoyment of 7 :p.

Horses for courses ! :D

Soldato
That's a problem right there, this film, although ep7 does introduce you to new characters, it also relies somewhat heavily on you knowing the background of 4-6. It relies on you knowing who Solo, Leia, Luke & Chewy, the people in the war room, the familiarity of the worlds (desert, snow), the jokes on 12 parsecs, the "garbage" reference to the Falcon, the importance of Luke, the little thing like the targeting screen for the gun in the Falcon, the relationship between Leia, Solo and Luke, the Death Star rehashing, and many many more.

As Metalface Mark says those things are so common knowledge that you don't need to see the original trilogy.

I would call it a negative that a film requires prior knowledge, and to its credit this film doesn't require that albeit at the cost of a dumbed down script.

Previous fans of the original trilogy have been hoodwinked into thinking this film was made for them, when it was really made as a reboot for the next generation. The new characters are poor and everyone is stuck with them for the next few years.

Nah I saw that scene in Toy Story 2 :p

Caporegime
I have to agree with the scale of it all.... There was no sense of time once they left Jakku for the 2nd time.

One example of many being

When they went to meet the Maz Kanata.... They turn up and both sides spies report in that they have found them... within 10 minutes both the baddies and the goodies arrive and its fight time.

Its just too fast, the whole film suffered from having to fit too much in too fast, id love to see what they had to cut out. I wish it could have been 3h long. I doubt anyone would have complained!

Caporegime
Previous fans of the original trilogy have been hoodwinked into thinking this film was made for them, when it was really made as a reboot for the next generation. The new characters are poor and everyone is stuck with them for the next few years.

Way better than the Prequel characters imo. Annie/Anakin annoyed the crap out of me, Portman was just eye candy, McGregor and Neeson were ok, Jar-Jar... do I even need to expand on that pile of excrement?

Soldato
But without seeing 4-6, how would you know the Solo's cheeky comments to Leia from 4-6, the 12 Parsecs joke, the bit when Rey seemingly holding a Red 5 helmet, they all add an extra layer to ep7 which would be missing if you didn't see 4-6.

they are extra bits you enjoy if you know the films, but not information you need to know to enjoy it.

Caporegime
I have to agree with the scale of it all.... There was no sense of time once they left Jakku for the 2nd time.

One example of many being

When they went to meet the Maz Kanata.... They turn up and both sides spies report in that they have found them... within 10 minutes both the baddies and the goodies arrive and its fight time.

Its just too fast, the whole film suffered from having to fit too much in too fast, id love to see what they had to cut out. I wish it could have been 3h long. I doubt anyone would have complained!

Ditto on this, it was simply too rushed and more attention was given to unimportant bits rather than bits that needed more time putting into them. We just have to hope an EE is released.

Visually it lived up to the original trilogy story wise it wasn't that strong imho seemed a bit rushed and not enough information concerning the 40 odd years we'd missed.

It is not as good as the original trilogy, but it is orders of magnitude better than the prequel trilogy, and deserves to bear the Star Wars name. At this stage we just can't expect perfection, but it was a good effort barring the annoyances I listed in the main thread.

Some of us are cursed in that bad dialogue grates in our ears; we like convincing characters with plausible actions and motives, and no amount of explosions will substitute for that.

I get this exact same feelings when I read one of your life threads.

Last edited:
Caporegime
I get this exact same feelings when I read one of your life threads.

Yes, yes. Like it or not, we seem to be somewhat in agreement about this film.

Oh, the horror that you might agree with me on one single thing. Guess you'll have to rethink your views, now. Can't possibly agree with something a loser like me has to say.

Thanks for bringing the ad-hominem attacks, buddy.

Soldato
Way better than the Prequel characters imo. Annie/Anakin annoyed the crap out of me, Portman was just eye candy, McGregor and Neeson were ok, Jar-Jar... do I even need to expand on that pile of excrement?

I'm judging them standalone rather than relative to the other films. I can't remember much about the prequel trilogy as I last saw them 10-16 years ago, but in terms of the depth of characters and the actors portraying them I didn't think they cut the mustard. They were too green and it felt like they were going to break the fourth wall any minute.

It is not as good as the original trilogy, but it is orders of magnitude better than the prequel trilogy, and deserves to bear the Star Wars name. At this stage we just can't expect perfection, but it was a good effort barring the annoyances I listed in the main thread.

Indeed but I have to say the Visuals were spot on IMHO the Battles, the Bar scene(which was damn near perfect) the only things that had me a bit meh visually were the monsters Han was smuggling, and that Poe Dameron Matey he seemed to be the same character Anikin from the Phantom menace space battles was, but the rest of the Pilots were cool!

Caporegime
...and that Poe Dameron Matey he seemed to be the same character Anikin from the Phantom menace space battles was, but the rest of the Pilots were cool!

Curious. The rest of the pilots had about 10 seconds of screen time, and about one line each. "He's on my six," etc, etc.

Yet you singled them out for praise... why? I'm not saying the pilots were good or bad, just that it seems strange to be impressed by them, given how tiny their role was, how throw-away their lines were, and how totally insignificant they all were.

Might as well say that the guys lining up behind Rey waiting for their portion payments were cool.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom