Poll: Poll: Did The Force Awakens live up to the hype?

Did The Force Awakens live up to the hype?

• Yes

Votes: 227 75.4%
  • No

Votes: 52 17.3%
  • Other - please post your thoughts

Votes: 22 7.3%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Caporegime
Curious. The rest of the pilots had about 10 seconds of screen time, and about one line each. "He's on my six," etc, etc.

Yet you singled them out for praise... why? I'm not saying the pilots were good or bad, just that it seems strange to be impressed by them, given how tiny their role was, how throw-away their lines were, and how totally insignificant they all were.

Might as well say that the guys lining up behind Rey waiting for their portion payments were cool.

Do you really have to make a debate of every small opinion or throwaway comment that people make? You need an in-depth analysis of why he thought the pilots, that we all know had very limited screen time, were cool?

Caporegime
Do you really have to make a debate of every small opinion or throwaway comment that people make? You need an in-depth analysis of why he thought the pilots, that we all know had very limited screen time, were cool?

It's a discussion forum. I'm being polite, and probing for the reasons behind his comment.

What do you want? That no-one post unless it's gushing praise for the film?

Caporegime
It's a discussion forum. I'm being polite, and probing for the reasons behind his comment.

No you're not being "polite", you're actually being pretty irritating by trying to start discussion about inconsequential things that don't even warrant in-depth discussion.

And your last statement is a tad dense as you have already read and responded to my multiple criticisms of the film.

It's like you're taking the whole "I shall challenge this film" thing to a crusade-like level of tedium.

Last edited:
Soldato
I liked it a lot. In the end with these things I ask myself "Did I enjoy it?" Doesn't matter if it's good, bad, cheap, expensive, hyped, etc, if any form of entertainment gives me that important "enjoyment factor", then it was good as far as I am concerned.

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
It amazes me that that people feel the need to say "that feeling you had when you left the cinema (good or bad), well I think it's wrong to have that feeling and now I'm going to tell you why it's wrong in a condescending way which, after several days of this, will make you regret telling anyone how the film made you feel, BECAUSE IT'S CLEARLY WRONG!!!".

That's what you're doing.

I respect that you feel differently about the film but your constant belittling (like the quote) in both threads is starting to grate. You stated your opinion numerous times, now give the threads some room to breathe without metaphorically jumping on people who give a different opinion.

Well said. A lot of people do that here though, not just him. When I mentioned I enjoyed the prequels more than TFA, people are like :eek::rolleyes:

As movie's go, TFA was enjoyable. But it did not meet my personal expectations from a Star Wars movie. I just did not connect or care about any of the characters this time round. That may change when I no doubt watch it again some time in the future again.

But as you say, each to their own. No point belittling people about what movie they enjoyed more.

Soldato
People forget that films are entertainment. Even the most flawed thing can be entertaining.

I think that's where views are divided though. I found the film average but at the time was sufficiently entertained by it in the same way I would a Jason Statham or Nicolas Cage film for example. It's been a few days since I saw it and I've forgotten most of it, there weren't too many memorable moments.

The hype for this film was of stupid proportions, and 75% of this poll is saying that the film lived up to it. With so many flaws how can that be possible? To me a rating of 9/10 suggests it's a timeless masterpiece which it's not. The film and its proponents must be subject to criticism lest the filmmakers deliver two more of the same.

I remember when the prequel films came out and they received a lot of praise. But people were really in denial about their shortcomings and it was only once the hype died down that they were retrospectively re-evaluated.

Caporegime
I think that's where views are divided though. I found the film average but at the time was sufficiently entertained by it in the same way I would a Jason Statham or Nicolas Cage film for example. It's been a few days since I saw it and I've forgotten most of it, there weren't too many memorable moments.

The hype for this film was of stupid proportions, and 75% of this poll is saying that the film lived up to it. With so many flaws how can that be possible? To me a rating of 9/10 suggests it's a timeless masterpiece which it's not. The film and its proponents must be subject to criticism lest the filmmakers deliver two more of the same.

I remember when the prequel films came out and they received a lot of praise. But people were really in denial about their shortcomings and it was only once the hype died down that they were retrospectively re-evaluated.

I would argue that the movie DID live up to the hype, because it was still a decent Star Wars movie. Was it amazing and flawless? No? 9/10? No, and I am the first to criticise.

But it was a damn fine first effort by a director who chose to take such a heavy burden on board, and in the end he pulled it off. That has to be taken into consideration imo, especially as the original creator couldn't even make half-decent movies with Episodes I-III.

Caporegime

Same thing happened with Promethius.

Anybody who criticised that film in the first weeks of release were torn apart by Scott fans and Alien fans alike.

These days, it's much harder to find people defending that film, and people are more openly critical of it.

Their banter was what I expected form professional Pilots especially Greg Gunberg however the Poe Matey's comments and mannerisms in the cockpit were that of a 5 year old with his favorite toy playing at being a pilot.

His character was too immature for the role he was supposed to be playing.

Last edited:
Caporegime
OP
Prometheus was a poorly executed movie, thank goodness they didn't give star wars to Ridley Scott...

Your point being? Are you suggesting that RS can't do Sci-fi based on one movie?:p

(Ridley Scott)

2015 The Martian
2014 Exodus: Gods and Kings
2013 The Counsellor
2013 The Vatican (TV Movie)
2012/I Prometheus
2010 Robin Hood
2008 Body of Lies
2007 American Gangster
2006 A Good Year
2005 All the Invisible Children (segment "Jonathan")
2005 Kingdom of Heaven
2003 Matchstick Men
2001 Black Hawk Down
2001 Hannibal
2000 Gladiator
1997 G.I. Jane
1996 White Squall
1993 The King of Ads (Documentary) (segments "Chanel No. 5 'I Don't Want' commercial", "Pepsi-Cola 'Spaceship' Commercial")
1992 1492: Conquest of Paradise
1991 Thelma & Louise
1989 Black Rain
1987 Someone to Watch Over Me
1985 Legend
1984 Apple Mac: 1984 (Short)
1982 Blade Runner
1979 Alien
1977 The Duellists
1969 The Troubleshooters (TV Series) (1 episode)
- If He Hollers, Let Him Go (1969)
1967 The Informer (TV Series) (2 episodes)
- Your Secrets Are Safe with Us, Mr Lambert (1967)
- No Further Questions (1967)
1967 Half Hour Story (TV Series) (1 episode)
- Robert (1967)
1966-1967 Adam Adamant Lives! (TV Series) (3 episodes)
- The Resurrectionists (1967)
- Death Begins at Seventy (1967)
- The League of Uncharitable Ladies (1966)
1966 Thirty-Minute Theatre (TV Series) (1 episode)
- The Hard Word (1966)
1965 Z Cars (TV Series) (1 episode)
- Error of Judgement (1965)
1965 Boy and Bicycle (Short)

JJ Abrams

2015 Star Wars: The Force Awakens
2013 Star Trek Into Darkness
2011 Super 8
2010 Undercovers (TV Series) (1 episode)
- Pilot (2010)
2009 Star Trek
2009 Anatomy of Hope (TV Movie)
2007 The Office (TV Series) (1 episode)
- Cocktails (2007)
2006 Jimmy Kimmel Live! (TV Series) (guest director - 1 episode)
- Episode #4.269 (2006) ... (guest director)
2006 Mission: Impossible III
2001-2005 Alias (TV Series) (5 episodes)
- Authorized Personnel Only: Part 2 (2005) ... (minor segments, uncredited)
- Authorized Personnel Only: Part 1 (2005) ... (minor segments, uncredited)
- The Telling (2003)
- Almost Thirty Years (2002)
- Truth Be Told (2001)
2004 Lost (TV Series) (2 episodes)
- Pilot: Part 2 (2004)
- Pilot: Part 1 (2004)
1999 Felicity (TV Series) (2 episodes)
- Todd Mulcahy: Part 2 (1999)
- Todd Mulcahy: Part 1 (1999)

Associate
Prometheus was a poorly executed movie, thank goodness they didn't give star wars to Ridley Scott...

Ridley Scott is 100 times the Director JJ Abrams could ever dream of being. Prometheus ultimately didn't work but it was largely down to the script. The Martian is a prime example of Scott on point.

I enjoyed TFA but it's no classic. It's a homage piece. Would rate it lower than Revenge of the Sith myself. I predict that people's estimation of this film will change as time goes by and the hype fades. It really just plays like a pastiche of A New Hope. Rey was great though and it was genuinely funny at times. But it's nothing special.

Soldato
Same thing happened with Promethius.

Anybody who criticised that film in the first weeks of release were torn apart by Scott fans and Alien fans alike.

These days, it's much harder to find people defending that film, and people are more openly critical of it.

Prometheus is a good example. I would add Avatar to that list, many people got sucked in to the hype but in hindsight it wasn't that great.

Caporegime
OP
Prometheus is a good example. I would add Avatar to that list, many people got sucked in to the hype but in hindsight it wasn't that great.

The thing about Avatar though was not the film itself.But the experience of the technology and visuals.

Cutting edge at the time.

People never went the cinema for the story...they went to expereince the 3D.

TFA is different...As its all about the story and its a shame it didn't really have one.

Soldato
The thing about Avatar though was not the film itself.But the experience of the technology and visuals.

Cutting edge at the time.

People never went the cinema for the story...they went to expereince the 3D.

TFA is different...As its all about the story and its a shame it didn't really have one.

It was the first 3D film I saw, and agree the technology was a selling point for me although I hoped for a good scifi film too. However, the dazzling visuals masquaraded the lacklustre film in a similar way to the nostalgia clouding people's views of TFA. It prevents people from thinking objectively about what they just watched.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom