What watch do you wear?

Associate
So just got a mail back from Goldsmiths regarding my grandfathers Longines; On the left.

IMG_2780.jpg

They want £1400 to restore/service it. Bit more than I was expecting.

AKA the price of a new Longines really. Ouch!

Soldato
Reading the testimonials from the UK buyers on there (over 2000 or so) none of them seem to mention being shafted by tax at all so i'm hopeful :)

I have ordered from them 3 times and never been taxed for it, each time they had put measuring instrument and about 25% of the true value ...I was actually a bit annoyed they did this first time as I did not ask them to do so and doing so should be on request only in my opinion.

Amazingly I got the an email from Steinhart this morning saying they had received my payment over the weekend and then later in the day they actually dispatched it, given that they usually take much longer to dispatch I was quite surprised and pleased to see this, it means I should just about have my OOV DLC for Christmas :D

It may have had something to do with the slightly upitty email I sent them Saturday asking them if they had received my order as I didn't get any kind of reference number, confirmation email or a way to pay initially and suggested they get a proper ecommerce solution.

Last edited:
Associate
I have ordered from them 3 times and never been taxed for it, each time they had put measuring instrument and about 25% of the true value ...I was actually a bit annoyed they did this first time as I did not ask them to do so and doing so should be on request only in my opinion.

Amazingly I got the an email from Steinhart this morning saying they had received my payment over the weekend and then later in the day they actually dispatched it, given that they usually take much longer to dispatch I was quite surprised and pleased to see this, it means I should just about have my OOV DLC for Christmas :D

It may have had something to do with the slightly upitty email I sent them Saturday asking them if they had received my order as I didn't get any kind of reference number, confirmation email or a way to pay initially and suggested they get a proper ecommerce solution.

I kinda like the creativity in the customs -- ANYTHING from China (not HK tho) can pass thru without customs or VAT, but you'll be /hammered/ with any tiny item from the US.
I love the "measuring instrument" tho -- I once ordered a camera and it was marked as .... "picture frame" ! I thought that was pretty good :)

Steiny was also very prompt when I ordered mine, I was quite surprised.

Soldato

I kinda like the creativity in the customs -- ANYTHING from China (not HK tho) can pass thru without customs or VAT, but you'll be /hammered/ with any tiny item from the US.
I love the "measuring instrument" tho -- I once ordered a camera and it was marked as .... "picture frame" ! I thought that was pretty good :)

Beware that as the importer, you are the one who is legally responsible for the customs declaration. I know that sounds daft, but you are.

Things can be seized for improper or inaccurate descriptions, as well as the declared value. Typically, the latter will result in revised charges so nothing is seized, but the former, you may never see the item again, and as it's a customs issue there is no guarantee that you'll get your money back.

Soldato
Last edited:
Associate
Yes I meant case diameter. Not sure why I typed crown :p

It looks a good size. I'm glad as the hamilton I've ordered is also 41mm but I was worried it might look a little small for my liking.

Associate
does anyone here think its really worth paying the extra money for the omega NATO strap? (there are a few on the bay for £68) kind of off topic question in relation to the above posts

Associate
Associate
does anyone here think its really worth paying the extra money for the omega NATO strap? (there are a few on the bay for £68) kind of off topic question in relation to the above posts

The ones on ebay look like standard Nato straps with an Omega buckle fitted, which you can do yourself for less than £30.

Back
Top Bottom