Volkswagen cheats emissions tests!

Soldato
What are you talking about? Emissions standards are stricter hence the aftertreatment. Remove all that and pollution a goes up.

It's the execution of the legislative requirements that's the issue here.

Go and have a little read about Catalytic converters and DPF's etc

Soldato
He is partially right though.

They killed off development of lean burn technology at the time they were introduced.

Soldato
Petrol yes has the catalyst issue of enforcement rather than other technologies like CVCC Honda were utilising.

Many engines currently are ready for lean burn, its the NOx capture 3 way catalyst absorbers that are prohibatively expensive to deal with the combustion temperature resulting nitrous oxide. Its why the Mk1 Insight CVT in the states held SULEV 30 emissions, but the manual with lean burn was much more efficient but only an ULEV vehicle. That was a bit of a bonkers loss leader. The material cost currently doesnt make sense for many cars.

Diesel of course is lean by nature and indeed the focus of the the VW emissions issues, therfore in terms of aftertreatment the early 90s catalyst story is kind of irrelevant.

I can see a big push to HCCI - Homogenous Charge Compression Ignition - petrol engines, at low revs they operate on compression ignition like a diesel and offer a decent halfway house - Honda have also been working on Homogenous Lean Charge Spark Ignition, presented in 2013, that a mix of HCCI and lean burn pushing for 40% efficiency but will likely to require aftertreatment.

Soldato
He is partially right though.

They killed off development of lean burn technology at the time they were introduced.

Well if they ever produced real facts and figures directly related to the environmental impact and pollution from all the nasty crap manufactured to transmute a few tailpipe gasses into other unwanted gasses you would see just how "partially" right I am ;)

Haven't we done all this before a few years back ? :D

Soldato
Got my letter the other day explaining that the fix will be a 30 minute remap.

No mention of how it will affect the car or how they are going to compensate everyone for this inconvenience.

Soldato

No mention of how it will affect the car or how they are going to compensate everyone for this inconvenience.

Mine will be getting done when it goes in for its regular service, if they can tell me what effect it will have on performance and economy. If they are planning on robbing me of any of my 108 ponies they can do one.

Soldato

There's no obligation to take it in. Wait until it's due a service to minimise your inconvenience.

PS you owe me a £5 for my time to read your post. It was inconvenient.

Soldato
Compensation? Lol, wtf planet are people living on?

Recalls happen all the time

Indeed they do, but rarely do they have the potential to financially impact the owner of the vehicle.

I personally do not intend to suffer any financial loss as a consequence of Volkswagen Groups illegal activity. I purchased my current car based on a number of factors and one of those was the MPG I achieved on an extended test drive, if the recall impacts on that MPG then I will be expecting VAG to cover the difference for the remainder of the period I own the car or offer me an attractive alternative to change my car early.

I have also received the letter and will be discussing it with my main dealer next time I am in. If the recall is not mandatory then I will simply not have it done, if it's something that they will do regardless when serviced then I will want to understand the implications before agreeing to it.

Last edited:
Soldato
There's no obligation to take it in. Wait until it's due a service to minimise your inconvenience.

PS you owe me a £5 for my time to read your post. It was inconvenient.

Compensation? Lol, wtf planet are people living on?

Recalls happen all the time

http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/volksw...compensation-is-your-car-affected-latest-news

As you can see, my comments were reference to the fact I already know they plan to compensate.

Thank you for being clever though. :rolleyes:

Soldato
Where's my fiver? :rolleyes:

Oh I need to simplify for you, that's fine.

I have not even suggested in any way that I feel like compensation is owed. I was discussing the contents of a letter that I received this morning. I noted that within this letter there are no further details about the compensation I already knew I was getting.

You've somehow construed this to mean that I feel entitled to compensation.

Thank you for being clever.

Associate
http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/volksw...compensation-is-your-car-affected-latest-news

As you can see, my comments were reference to the fact I already know they plan to compensate.

Thank you for being clever though. :rolleyes:

I highly doubt there will be any kind of monetary compensation for european owners, they will more likely offer higher trade in values on existing customer cars or offer better finance deals.

The whole "software only" fix seems a little too convenient for volkswagen to be true. Something surely has to give otherwise they wouldn't have cheated in the first place. Whether this will be economy, performance or reliability remains to be seen. My car has been recalled but I'm going to decline at least until some other owners with similar cars have had the "fix" and provided some real world results.

Soldato
Has anyone had their car "fixed" yet?

Or any reports on how the car performs after it's been "fixed"?

Only ask as a friend has a Skoda Superb and has received a letter from Skoda that the car needs to go in. He tows a fairly large caravan and is a bit concerned the fix might reduce power. Not sure how likely it is.

Soldato
Has anyone had their car "fixed" yet?

Or any reports on how the car performs after it's been "fixed"?

Only ask as a friend has a Skoda Superb and has received a letter from Skoda that the car needs to go in. He tows a fairly large caravan and is a bit concerned the fix might reduce power. Not sure how likely it is.

Nothing has, or will be, fixed until 2016.

As for why they didn't simply do whatever they are doing now in the first place... I thought they were given the green light by the government to up CO2 output in order to get the NOX down? Or have I absorbed some false info?

As they stress to point out- "all affected EA189 diesel engine vehicles remain technically safe and roadworthy in relation to the issue." which I think puts the customer in the position of being able to say not to touch it then.

Back
Top Bottom