Just starting out

Associate
OP
I was going to buy two Kryptonite Evolution Series 4 disc locks, but after looking around, it was suggested that the Kryptonite New York were better. A bit of youtubing has put me off them as they seem a bit insecure.

I next looked at xena alarmed disks and oxford monster, but again, they receive many mixed reviews(!) The xena supposedly not waterproof, rain causing them to malfunction.

I'm open to suggestions on the most secure disk locks to get - I don't mind paying a bit for something which is going to make a difference.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Thanks, I'll look into that lock!

Since my last bike was stolen, I'm perhaps a bit paranoid now, which is why I was going for two disk locks. Anything that will make it take longer to steal...

Man of Honour
I understand why you want 2 after having your bike nicked but if you're also looking at one of the uncroppable chains that's already a hefty bit of kit to carry and a couple of those locks I posted is going to be well over another kg it soon adds up when you've got to carry it around.

At the end of the day if they've got the kit to get through one of those chains they obviously really want the bike and will be prepared to just lift it into the back of the van they'd need for carting around the kit to break through the chain.

Associate
OP
Those ABUS disklocks look great, I've just ordered one ;).

I've got a almax III chain on order, and have told my wife to get me a kriega us-10 drybag for Christmas, so I can haul all this extra weight around.

I'm really tempted to get biketrac installed, and perhaps an alarm... They can be moved to future bikes, so it's just the initial outlay which will hurt.

fez

fez

Caporegime
So how is the biketrac fitted so it's not super easy to disconnect from the bike. Seems expensive if it's useless when confronted with a smarter than average criminal.

Associate
OP
So how is the biketrac fitted so it's not super easy to disconnect from the bike. Seems expensive if it's useless when confronted with a smarter than average criminal.

I think it's bike dependent. As far as I know, if it's been installed well, they'd need to strip your bike down to get at it. I'm guessing most opportunistic thieves perhaps don't consider tracking devices.

There's some interesting recovery stories on their website including tracking superbikes across Europe and still getting them back. I'd imagine thieves who are shipping out to Europe and stealing such bikes are a step up from your usual bike thief, and they're still caught out by the device.

Man of Honour
Most bike thieves with half a brain i.e those not just stealing it for a quick joy ride leave bikes in a lock up or something similar for a couple of days to see if they get recovered and therefore had a tracker.

Associate
OP
Just received a call and email with the order form for the new bike! They said they'd be happy with a photo of the signed document, which I'm about to send. Then it's a case of arranging pickup from the dealer :D

Whilst it's going to depress me next year when my insurance is through the roof - I didn't imagine that in less than 2 weeks the new bike would be sorted(!) That's brightened my Christmas up a bit :).

Associate
OP
I took out the insurance with Carole Nash (CN), but it seems they're a broker for Aviva. I seem to have bypassed CN and have dealt directly with Aviva. The last letter I got from CN stated my contact with them would review my case sometime in the next month, and it took him over a week to send a letter out requesting specific documents. If I'd followed their lead, I can imagine it would have taken months to get to this point.

Associate
OP
Spoke to the dealer today and everything is sorted. I'm getting a datatool trakking device fitted, they're going to datatag it for me for free, and also fit an optimate lead for free too, so i can top up charge due to tracker usage.

I actually bought a datatag kit from ebay last night for £50 (http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/181968916149) which I wont need now, so I've got one going if anyone is interested.

The only negative is that the dealership garage is closing down until the 2nd of Jan, then there will be a backlog. So I'm looking at the 7th-ish of Jan for bike pickup.

Last edited:

One

One

Soldato
I took out the insurance with Carole Nash (CN), but it seems they're a broker for Aviva. I seem to have bypassed CN and have dealt directly with Aviva. The last letter I got from CN stated my contact with them would review my case sometime in the next month, and it took him over a week to send a letter out requesting specific documents. If I'd followed their lead, I can imagine it would have taken months to get to this point.

Almost all customer facing insurance providers are brokers. Carole Nash is with Ageas as far as I'm aware. I'm with them for my bike, I've not had to use any of the services yet though, they were easy to haggle with come renewal though and remained the cheapest option.

Associate
OP
Hmm, tempting to go for that. It's a pretty cool gadget to have as it does trip tracking and stuff as well if you want & of course the safety aspect.

I was going to go for it, but then read some stories about the speed logging element being used by insurance companies in their investigations. I'm not saying I'd ever go over the speed limit.... but in the unfortunate instance of having an accident, having the claim refused due to evidence of your own tracker might be a bit much.

I went for trakking because they specifically claim that they don't collect speed data.

Soldato
I was going to go for it, but then read some stories about the speed logging element being used by insurance companies in their investigations. I'm not saying I'd ever go over the speed limit.... but in the unfortunate instance of having an accident, having the claim refused due to evidence of your own tracker might be a bit much.

I went for trakking because they specifically claim that they don't collect speed data.

Hmm, but surely if you don't tell them there's a tracker then they're not going to look for one if you have an accident? Or you just take it out / wipe the data if you crash :p

I'll check trakking out as well. Not sure I want speed logged as well :)

Last edited:
Associate
OP
The kriega us-10 easily fits the almax 3 (2 meter), squire lock and disklock. I went for a Abus Disc Lock Granit Sledg 77 in the end.

Something else which I picked up which is quite cool is a Tony Perotti Italian Leather Key Case:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B003VVA7XA

So when riding, you just poke the ignition key out, the rest of the keys then don't scratch up your bike.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Since my bike was stolen, I've been checking out various sites for wr125x's or parts for sale - perhaps a pointless, but I couldn't help myself :p.

This morning I discovered a 125x for sale with less than 200 extra miles on the clock than mine. The sale location is also a couple of hundred miles away...

What's making me really suspicious is that my dealer put the L plates on in such a way that I've never seen on any other bike - the bike in the photos has the L plates in exactly the same places... I've sent an email over asking for more pics and the reg.

Is this kind of circumstantial evidence something the police would laugh at me about, or is it worth giving them a call with the info?

l1.jpg

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom