What are you planning to cook this Christmas?

Associate
Just been to Aldi, got myself a Cheap frozen medium Turkey ready for tomorrows Christmas Dinner, can't believe their veg is 39p. Anyway gonna keep it simple, we're all working next week and it doesn't feel worth making a fuss this year.

Soldato
Went out last night and got the last bits and pieces I needed.

Nothing out of the ordinary, just a stuffed turkey crown as it will only be for 3 people, vegetables, pigs in blankets etc etc.

I am still tempted by gammon as there is SO MUCH of it left in the supermarkets. May pop out again today and grab one.

Soldato
I am working Christmas day so we are having it a day early, so on Christmas eve I will be opening all the presents with the kids (they wrote a letter asking Santa to come a day early) then cooking either leg or shoulder of lamb with all the trimmings.

the following day I will be finishing work around 3pm and going for about an hours drive to see family finishing off with traditional turkey and beef with all the trimmings at my dads.

Associate
The Mrs goes batcrazy with food, shes ordered a turkey crown for 9~12 people (Actually for 3) - She's also got a roast beef joint and a massive ham!

She does well, normally she does a starter (fish) - then the main with all the trimmings and dessert. Can barely breathe after! :D

Associate
I am not cooking on Christmas day as we are going to my partners parents for the whole of Christmas but I decided to have a small finnish christmas dinner on 23rd at home. Bought small gammon, will be making carrot and swede cassaroles, homemade mustard and a homemade cheese.
I also offered to cook for Christmas eve so will be making roast beef with red wine sauce and dauphinoise potatos. Not sure on veg yet though.

Man of Honour
I am not cooking on Christmas day as we are going to my partners parents for the whole of Christmas but I decided to have a small finnish christmas dinner on 23rd at home. Bought small gammon, will be making carrot and swede cassaroles, homemade mustard and a homemade cheese.
I also offered to cook for Christmas eve so will be making roast beef with red wine sauce and dauphinoise potatos. Not sure on veg yet though.

Bit of a subject change but what is your home made mustard recipe, if you don't mind me asking? :)

For veg, something I tried last night was red cabbage cooked pretty lightly with caramelised onions and garlic. Maintained its flavour, colour and crunch. Pretty tasty.

Associate
2 x 57g tins of colmans mustard powder
Then use the empty tin to measure same amount of sugar as the mustard powder. 3 eggs, 200ml double cream, 2tbsp of white wine vinegar and a little dash of oil.

Mix everything together and cook over a waterbath until it is thick. Then pour into whatever containers you have for it, I bought some glass jars so I can give it as a present.

It lasts 2 months in the fridge and its sweet but strong. Best mustard in my opinion and goes really well with ham!

Some people like to add cognac/garlic/other flavours at the end for a change but I'm not a fan of that. :)

Soldato
Put a plan together in the last 20mins with my Mum.

Christmas Day

Breakfast
In recent years we've ended up with bagels, cream cheese and smoked salmon.
BucksFizz / Sparkling

Day/Lunch
Snacks and nibbles.

Start
Large tiger prawns marinated in garlic and chili overnight then cooked and shelled.
Baby Gem lettuce grilled.
Avocado.
Prawn cocktail sauce, hopefully making my own mayo.

Main
Roast Goose - first time ever doing Goose, advice welcomed.
Goose fat roasted potatoes
Roast sprouts
Braised red cabbage
Carrots
Parsnips
Pigs in blankets
Sausage meat stuffing
Home made cranberry sauce.
Gravy

Dessert
Christmas pudding
Mince pies

:):):)

Christmas Eve

Roast Turkey (mainly so we can have something for turkey sandwiches)
Persian Jeweled Rice - rice with julienned carrot and orange peel, pistachos, almonds, saffron and barberries.
Yoghurt

Tradition now for us is to do a Persian style meal on Christmas eve, usually very little effort and it is likely over the next week it will all be leftovers/traditional Christmas foods. Then on Christmas day have the full spread. We tend to have Christmas Dinner at dinner time still rather than in the afternoon.

Last edited:
Soldato
Massive Kerry bronze organic turkey from the butchers up the road (9kg) :eek:
Roast spuds
carrots
sprouts with bacon
parsnip
pigs in blankets

Xmas pudding brandy sauce

mince pies brandy butter

and then i ususally do smoked salmon bagels with cream cheese for tea.

*explodes*

Associate
Very similar main to the above^ Cooking for 11 people.

Early on in daytime -

Nibbles and booze

Main -

Turkey
Pork loin (with crackling of course)
Pigs in blankets
Yorkshire pudding
Roast potatoes
Roast parsnips
Carrots
Brussels with bacon
Stuffing

Desert (purchased) -

Christmas pud
Profiteroles
Cheesecake
Ice cream

Later on -
Cheese and crackers / more booze

Associate
Got the ribs on today so should be ready for 14:00 on Christmas day.
Salt, pepper and a bit of Goose fat as everything is better with Goose fat

yDGrGVC.jpg

Last edited:
Associate
Christmas at my brothers this year so tomorrow is my Christmas cooking day :) Only for myself, wife and 2 kids (1 and 4).

Have a 3kg Turkey (from Musclefoods delivered today) which I've just put in the fridge covered in salt to dry brine. Tomorrow around 10am it shall be covered in bacon and then put on the bbq for about 2hr30-45 to smoke, sitting in a chicken stock with carrots, celery and onions.

I pre made cranberry sage and pork stuffing which will be balled and cooking in the oven alongside bacon wrapped chippolatas, duck fat potatoes and parsnips. Finished off with cabbage, green beans and carrots in the steamer and sprouts cooked in chicken stock and mixed with crisp streaky bacon.

Probably some yorkies too, why not.

Tomorrow is my Christmas present to myself :D There is a high chance of serious left overs

Back
Top Bottom