***The Official Manly Shaving Thread***

Associate
I can't go anywhere near feather blades - they cut me to bits, the israeli blades are just nice for me, same as I can only do a 2 pass shave as going for 3 makes my face sore.

As the others have said before, there is no normal, just what's right for your face.

Soldato
Just wondering if any one can help me, Been using a Merkur 39c with Astra platinum blades for about 6 months now but i find i have to do at least 3 passes to get a very clean shave. I don't always have time to do this in a morning so ive ended up doing one pass then cleaning up with a regular cartridge razor. Would changing blades help with this? the only other blades ive tried are derby extra and those get the same results.

The Merkur is a mild razor, I would recommend buying a more aggressive (efficient) razor, if you want to do less passes.

If you are on a budget give a Fatip a try, that was my first OC razor. They work well with a smooth blade like the Astra SP. They show up any bad habits you might have with a DE though.

The Muhle R41 is another razor to look at, i didn't find it as smooth as the Fatip though, so sold mine on.

iKon Standard (safety bar) & Above the Tie H2 (open comb) are both excellent too if you want to splash out on a stainless razor over the brass Fatip.

Soldato
I got the Merkur 34C as a Christmas present. I was using a pretty cheap entry-level razor I purchased a couple years back which was getting a bit stiff so it clamped down on the blade rather poorly. The difference is just night and day :) The build quality is lovely and as it can be taken apart easily it's gonna be easy to keep in scratch so should last years!

Commissario
Crazy when you can get 100 Feathers delivered for ~£16.

I find that Feathers combined with a relatively mild razor (AS-D2, DE89) are a match made in heaven.
Not really. They're still only a few pence each - I bought 100 Med Preps nearly two years ago and I still have eighteen of them left! It really doesn't matter what the blades cost, they're probably the cheapest part of DE shaving.

Associate
Can't help with a drip stand as I don't use one myself, but for cleaning razors I just use warm water, washing up liquid and a toothbrush. Shines them up nicely.

For a decent brush do you have a preference for badger, boar or synthetic? If it's a boar then Semogue and Omega do some great brushes for not much money. I have a Semogue and I love it. Took a little while to break in but it's excellent.

Soldato
Did anyone get any shaving stuff for christmas? :D

I got a few things, finally got an open comb razor to try & a mini synthetic travel brush :)
Also got some maca root shave cream from the bodyshop which seems amazing (also really like the smell of it).

shave_xmas_2015_1.jpg

Just need to find some good aftershave balm as I'm nearly out of GROOMED stuff & really don't like the nivea stuff I have :(

Suspended
I've recently got a patch of baldness on my chin which had severely annoyed me, it's only small about the size of your little finger nail but I have very dark stair and dark stubble and it shows up a lot! The rest of my beard is good and i don't have patches anywhere and I can grow a full beard. But this has annoyed me.

I've looked online and it says it could be Alopecia Areata but usually the hair grows back after a while, could be an immune response to stress.. I hope it comes back!

Associate

I got a few things, finally got an open comb razor to try & a mini synthetic travel brush :)
Also got some maca root shave cream from the bodyshop which seems amazing (also really like the smell of it).

shave_xmas_2015_1.jpg

Just need to find some good aftershave balm as I'm nearly out of GROOMED stuff & really don't like the nivea stuff I have :(

My fatip is my favourite razor. It's the only one I have made of real metal, and it's certainly outlasting the others.

Soldato
There's a voice that keeps on calling me.
Can't help with a drip stand as I don't use one myself, but for cleaning razors I just use warm water, washing up liquid and a toothbrush. Shines them up nicely.

For a decent brush do you have a preference for badger, boar or synthetic? If it's a boar then Semogue and Omega do some great brushes for not much money. I have a Semogue and I love it. Took a little while to break in but it's excellent.

Cheers will take a look at them, to be honest im not sure what the advantages of the different brushes are, but i fancied getting something a tad better than my Wilko's special!

Soldato

shave_xmas_2015_1.jpg

I tried out the men-u brush and am amazed at how bad it is :(

Compared to my badger brush it's terrible
Had 5 bristles fall out just from putting it in hot water, didn't lather that well & feels so harsh/rough
Am glad I only got it as a travel brush
The only thing it has over a badger brush is it doesn't have that new badger brush smell :o

Also open comb is definitely the way to go :)
The Fatip Piccolo seems to give a much closer shave compared to the Muhle R89 :D

Feels like 2 passes with the Fatip are like 4 with the Muhle

Last edited:
Soldato
I'm disappointed to have stripped the threads on my Muhle R89 Grande.
I can't decide whether to buy another one or to look for something different.
I couldn't fault it for weight, handle length and knurled handle for good grip.
Is Merkur quality better than Muhle?
Any suggestions? Knurled handle, 80g+ in weight, 10cm+ in length.
I only use Gillette 7 O'Clock Yellows.

Soldato
How do you guys prepare to shave your face?..just courius how i can improve my preparation.

Do you simply slap on some shave cream,leave it a min or so then start shaving?

I recently got a Proper Double Edge Safety Razor,Astra Blades and "the shave doctor" shaving cream,Does a decent job on the face but no matter how slow or careful i go around the neck it leave it sore and patchy as i keep having to go over it to get a close shave :(

Back
Top Bottom