Profit warnings at GAME.

Soldato
I was in Game this morning only because I was given a gift card for Christmas.

It was a pretty poor experience to be honest. First of all I was browsing the PS4 games when a member of staff decide to stand in front of the stuff I was looking at to stack some shelves. So I moved along a little and continued to try and shop at the Xbox One section and picked up Assassins Creed Syndicate, got to the counter to be told it was sold out, no surprise since it was actually an alright deal for that place. You would think they would take the boxes off the shelf though as surely that will just annoy people if they had been in a queue. Fortunately for myself there was more staff members that customers. So determined to spend my gift card I looked at other 'deals' and came across The Order 1886, can't imagine that being sold out since nobody likes it! :p

So again, as there are no other customers, I walk straight to the desk. 5 members of staff there, 2 on a till potentially training but certainly doing something. 2 sticking sales stickers on items just generally ****ing about with backs to the till, general glance in my direction and back to stickers....

Slightly annoyed at this point, then another 2 come from the back store and dump some more stuff at the till. Look like management type so might get some service...nope. Away they go behind the scenes again, so back to square one just holding the copy of the game at the desk in the hope somebody sells me a game. That's surely in Games business plan right? to at least sell games, not even a hard sell. I have a game in my hand. After about 5 minutes in total of standing around looking like I want to buy something but unable to with the emo music blasting in the back ground it appeared the staff got bored of ignoring customers and decided to service me, The Order 1886 is now in the hands of a Game employee, surely this transaction will be concluded soon but alas.... the game in not in the drawer. To the back of the shop they go to hunt it down. They come back again and ask me where I picked it up. I show them and they check the drawers again, they pull a game out and 2 members of staff try to determine if the copy they have in their hand is new or not. As I actually have a job to go to I had to apologise and leave with no game. 20 odd mins in Game and came out with nothing. Gutted I will inevitably have to go back to spend this gift card. Terrible experience and doesn't exactly make me want to shop there.

One good thing about Game, you can spend the gift cards online (where its cheaper anyway) and avoid all the instore hassle.

Soldato
One good thing about Game, you can spend the gift cards online (where its cheaper anyway) and avoid all the instore hassle.

Yeah, I've heard horror stories of items that have not been received by people and Games don't take any responsibility. I'll just need to suck it up and get something at some point. Just dealing with them highlights why I don't ever go there. If I buy a game from a store it tends to be the supermarket.

Soldato
heading into my local game store today as some well meaning relative bought both my boys game reward cards for Christmas.

god help me

Game online are fine imo.
Competitive prices and 'new' means new i.e. Sealed, not damaged by the hands of a frequent masturbator.
Game should just call it a day with their highstreet stores. They have already gone bust once and their current setup is clearly not profitable.

I feel there is nothing wrong with being internet only. Scale up this side with excellent customer service and have a trade in section.

Soldato
Competitive prices and 'new' means new i.e. Sealed, not damaged by the hands of a frequent masturbator.
Game should just call it a day with their highstreet stores. They have already gone bust once and their current setup is clearly not profitable.

I feel there is nothing wrong with being internet only. Scale up this side with excellent customer service and have a trade in section.

You can't just suddenly decide you are going to offer top customer service. The whole company would need a review from front line advisors all the way up the food chain to the top dogs in management. They would need to review all their policies and processes as well. Good customer service is more than just being nice, it's about being efficient, informative, competitive. Really just the overall experience from start to finish.

Scale up the online service? they have already opened this up to third party sellers to they have competition on their own website. This method works for other companies but they also offer a massive range of other goods, Game generally don't so I'm not sure this was a great move. trade in isn't a long term solution as whether we like it or not we will be moving to digital only at some point and this will die.

Associate
Game Stores

I travelled down to Liverpool and Manchester a few months ago and visited the Game Stores and I was very impressed as they were huge and plenty of stock not like here in Scotland where there is not enough room to swing a cat (If you are into swinging cats) and the shops were bright not like up here dark and dingy. I spend more now on the internet side than in the shops and second hand games are a joke pricewise both buying and selling but they get away with it. I go where the price is cheaper whether in a shop or the internet and try and stay away from the Game shop.

Soldato
Competitive prices and 'new' means new i.e. Sealed, not damaged by the

Not for older stuff unfortunately :(. A lot of the older titles, especially when it's a really low price seem to be pulled from stores. I've had quite a few turn up with purple game stickers sealing them and in generally poor condition :(.

Soldato
I travelled down to Liverpool and Manchester a few months ago and visited the Game Stores and I was very impressed as they were huge and plenty of stock not like here in Scotland where there is not enough room to swing a cat (If you are into swinging cats) and the shops were bright not like up here dark and dingy. I spend more now on the internet side than in the shops and second hand games are a joke pricewise both buying and selling but they get away with it. I go where the price is cheaper whether in a shop or the internet and try and stay away from the Game shop.

Eh what? They are practically the same UK wide. It depends on the retail space they rent/purchased. They have various sized stores with mostly the same stocked items. Trust me, I bet the Scottish stores are just as bright and not skimping using 40w bulbs.

Soldato
I honestly don't know how this company is still in business. Their overheads must be huge.

They should've become an online only company years ago.

Online only would kill them. They are way behind massive companies such as Amazon and to a lesser extent Argos. Then there is shopto etc who have carved out a marketshare on good service.

Game will die again, much like HMV

Associate
I tried my local Game store today for The Taken King. I went to Tesco first but they wanted £46 so I rushed into town just after 5 to find they had just closed 20 minutes before they were meant to.

I've since ordered it online £24 delivered to my door.

Back
Top Bottom