Deionised or tap water in screenwash?

Associate
Decent screen washes have de-chelating additives to help with water hardness. Deionised water would be ideal but we have 300pm water (range is generally from 0-450) and I get on fine with tap water mixed with Autoglym's screen wash.

Soldato
What does that do other than get all the air out?

It would kill bacteria but surely at the same time concentrate any contaminants as you'd be boiling off clean water leaving the crud behind, you need to be collecting & condensing the steam for this to make any sense, but even then it's pointless.

Just use tap water.

Soldato
It would kill bacteria but surely at the same time concentrate any contaminants as you'd be boiling off clean water leaving the crud behind, you need to be collecting & condensing the steam for this to make any sense, but even then it's pointless.

Just use tap water.

I doubt fresh tap water has much if any bacteria in it. Nor will it grow when mixed with screenwash which likely has antifreeze.

The only thing it is doing I can see is getting the air out of the water.

It doesn't become distilled or even deionised water.

Last edited:
Soldato
Shortly after I purchased my car, I noticed a disgustingly eggy smell when using the screen wash. I had to empty the tank and I pumped it through with boiled and cooled water.

I guess bacteria had gotten into the system. However, after using the blue Halfords premixed stuff, the smell has not returned.

Associate
Shortly after I purchased my car, I noticed a disgustingly eggy smell when using the screen wash. I had to empty the tank and I pumped it through with boiled and cooled water.

I guess bacteria had gotten into the system. However, after using the blue Halfords premixed stuff, the smell has not returned.

We had that with the last car we purchased.
Like you a good flush through and decent screen wash has prevented a reoccurrence.

Back
Top Bottom