60hz freesync

Associate
Is freesync on an ultra wide 2560x1080p@60hz going to feel about the same as a regular size 1920x1080@144hz with freesync?

The closest I've actually seen with my own eyes (and will be able to physically try before I buy) is regular 144hz which was neither a freesync nor g-sync enabled monitor

Last edited:
Associate
Freesync isn't a substitute for higher hz. 144hz will feel better than 60hz.
Freesync will eliminate screen tearing though.
Freesync will be a benefit to any monitor but higher hz will be better for some games like first person shooters. :)

Associate
OP
Can you rephrase the question? I dont understand what you mean by feel the same?

Yeah sure sorry

So choosing between 2 monitors

1- ultra wide, 2560x1080, 60hz, freesync
2- normal format, 1920x1080, 144hz, freesync

I know 144hz is better, but the extra screen real estate on the ultra wide would be nice

Would the freesync aspect do a decent job making up the difference between 60 and 144hz? I'm sick of screen tearing and would like to do away with checking "enable v-sync" to combat it

Soldato
You need a GPU that will do 144FPS - does your current GPU manage that with the games you play? What size is the 144hz monitor?

I have just got a new 2560x1080 LG 34UM57 (40-75hz Freesync I believe) and it looks great on some games (GTAV, Battlefront) and just OK on others (FO4). As I am also a 1440P Gsync user I have the following observations:

* Superwide has it's moments and can look stunning, but I would rate 1440P over 144hz if it's possible for you.
* Definately try and see in the flesh before you buy - obvious I know.
* Freesync is a bit of a let down due to the FPS floor. Gsync is a better implementation. Don't see Gsync then Freesync do it the other way around :)
* A Freesync setup is about half the price of Gsync.

Soldato
Sorry my Freesync specs are as follows:

8320 @ 4.5ghz
Single VaporX 290X 8gb
16gb DDR3 @ 2000 (ish)
Display Port lead(!)

Most games sit in the Freesync range, not sure whether capping to 75 really makes much of a difference for my old eyes.

Good Luck

Associate
OP
You need a GPU that will do 144FPS - does your current GPU manage that with the games you play? What size is the 144hz monitor?

I have just got a new 2560x1080 LG 34UM57 (40-75hz Freesync I believe) and it looks great on some games (GTAV, Battlefront) and just OK on others (FO4). As I am also a 1440P Gsync user I have the following observations:

* Superwide has it's moments and can look stunning, but I would rate 1440P over 144hz if it's possible for you.
* Definately try and see in the flesh before you buy - obvious I know.
* Freesync is a bit of a let down due to the FPS floor. Gsync is a better implementation. Don't see Gsync then Freesync do it the other way around :)
* A Freesync setup is about half the price of Gsync.

It'll be an r9 390x I think unless an r9 380x would be a nice match for the 27inch version of your screen (think that's what I was looking at anyway)

Soldato
Really quite keen on the LG 29UM67 I keep coming back to it

Looking at the 34" I would recommend seeing it before going 29" - I cant help thinking it wouldn't be tall enough for some reason. However thats just me - 21:9 gets a thumbs up regardless. Battlefront really looks good, worth showing off good :D

Associate
OP
Looking at the 34" I would recommend seeing it before going 29" - I cant help thinking it wouldn't be tall enough for some reason. However thats just me - 21:9 gets a thumbs up regardless. Battlefront really looks good, worth showing off good :D

See I feel 34in might be a bit much for how I'm set, I tried a 32in tv on my desk and it was redicilous in the space I'm setup lol

Bit worried I wouldn't be in the freesync sweet spot on that monitor though ?

Soldato
See I feel 34in might be a bit much for how I'm set, I tried a 32in tv on my desk and it was redicilous in the space I'm setup lol

Bit worried I wouldn't be in the freesync sweet spot on that monitor though ?

Both the 29 and the 34 need the same power to hit the sweetspot as I believe that they have the same number of pixels. As mentioned, my 8gb Vaporx 290X which is at stock, has no problems at all at this resolution hitting 60 to 75 fps on most new games. The only one that struggles is the typical large outdoor scenes in FO4 where it can dip to mid 20's. For reference i've tried: Dying Light, Project Cars, Battlefront, BF4, Witcher 3, Ashes of the Singularity and FO4.

I just measured and my eyes are 70cm from the screen (desk is 70cm deep, plus chair is obviously a bit further back) and its great on games with a native 2560 mode.

Soldato
If it's any help, and I'm sure it may not be (!) here are some photos.

Pic 1: best eyeline pic i could do!
Pic 2: for scale with keyboard. Desk is 70cm deep and 90cm wide
Pic 3: same position as 2 but that's a 27" 1440p monitor for comparison. Yes lots of wonky things on that desk (same desk) my son has been camped there for 3 days!

SB7NZZ.jpg

qGDi5e.jpg

AY1j6t.jpg

Hope it may help!

Last edited:
Associate
OP
So the first 2 are your 34in version?

Thanks for that puts things in perspective

As for the "sweet spot" concerns, I was more worried about going OVER the freesync range as if I grab the r9 390 in the next day or two, couple of months down the road I'll probably xfire it

Soldato
Hi yes that's correct, first 2 are the 34UM57. If it helps, you can use MSI Afterburner to limit FPS to 75, however I haven't bothered and at higher FPS there doesn't appear the be a significant degredation in smoothness, only when under the floor limit.

Associate
OP
As it turns out, we've got an lg 29 inch ultra wide on a display at work. Older model of the one i am considering, crap feed going into it but... I like it

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Will do. Got loads of spares at work I can grab :)
Seeing the 29… I do think the 34 would be overkill in the space I'm going to be setup

Back
Top Bottom