Escape room. Newcastle.

Soldato
Me and a couple of friends are planning our regular Christmas time night out, this time though we fancy something a little different. Looking around we discovered someone local doing a escape room.
Basically you get locked in a room for 1 hour with the goal being to solve the clues and puzzles placed inside to find your way out. It sounds like loads of fun if the organizer puts the effort in and gets the right amount of challenge into the puzzles and riddles.

Has any one tried one of these with friends, it seems reasonable value at £55 for up to a group of 5 people? what did you think of the experience?

Man of Honour
Yes - there is one in Bristol called puzzlair and it's brilliant. If it's at all similar, they will drop feed you clues on a screen to give you a good chance of escaping, which is actually pretty welcome!! Be prepared to get arsey with your partner as you have convos along the line of:

Me - "have you checked these drawers?"
GF - "yes don't check them again you'll be wasting your time"
Me - ".... Just to be sure I'm going to check again"
GF - "Nitefly you are just a total ass what a pointless way of making sure we don't esca-"
Me - "The code to the padlock is on the underside of this drawer - 527465"
GF - "........"

And vice versa. You will all look like idiots in front of each other for an hour :p

I think it's probably easier with less of you because you will have more of a grasp on what's going on.

Soldato
I've done 2 of these in Newcastle, one on Mosely Street (?) and one up near The Gate.

Both were brilliant fun if you like puzzles and logic games.

The one near The Gate had more technical content (switches and a laser corridor like Mission Impossible or something) while Mosley Street had better mental puzzles.

Both highly recommended though.

Associate
I've done one called Gr8 escape in York, there's two rooms and we are going back to do the other room on Tuesday.
A bit pricier than that Newcastle one but worth every penny, great fun.
We passed with ten seconds left on the clock, the tension was unreal!!

Soldato
Sounds fun. Love this kind of thing.

Let us know how it goes as I might pop up there to do it if it's good!

Soldato
OP
Yeh, as soon as my friend mentioned the idea I was in. His inspiration for the idea was the big bang theory episode.

I'm going to give them a ring and get it booked up. Had no idea 2 was so local. I think the more mental focused one will be more enjoyable, create more stress and all around be better for the laughs and discussion afterwords over a few drinks.

booked up for next Wednesday, 7.15pm. Looking forward to it immensely!

Last edited:
Soldato
I've done one of these - we had to solve some mad scientist's puzzle before a bomb blew up. Some of the stuff was pretty tough/cryptic and we (5 of us) failed close to the end. Good fun though and low individual cost.

Soldato
hold on let me get this straight

you pay someone an extortionate amount of money to lock you in a room for an hour,
sounds a bit joseph fritzly to me.

i'll offer a similar all inclusive service with free kidnapping thrown in if you like

Soldato
hold on let me get this straight

you pay someone an extortionate amount of money to lock you in a room for an hour,
sounds a bit joseph fritzly to me.

i'll offer a similar all inclusive service with free kidnapping thrown in if you like
It's more like a series of crystal maze style puzzles/challenges and a can be several rooms to progress through against the clock.

Soldato
Done the one you are on about in Newcastle but we got it on offer for about £35. It was really good fun and we got out with about 2 minutes to spare.

When I was there they were working on building a new room so I have no idea if they are all good but the experience was fun. I want to do it again in a different room at some point.

I can highly recommend doing this. If you are driving, be warned that parking can be a pain but the multi storey on Dean Street is probably your best bet.

Associate
I've done 2 of these in Newcastle, one on Mosely Street (?) and one up near The Gate.

Both were brilliant fun if you like puzzles and logic games.

The one near The Gate had more technical content (switches and a laser corridor like Mission Impossible or something) while Mosley Street had better mental puzzles.

Both highly recommended though.

Good feedback, I think I will look into the one near the gate as I would probably find it a bit easier than the puzzles!

Back
Top Bottom